Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionPBcastco
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why would the Star reloader be so desirable?

Why would the Star reloader be so desirable?

Why would the Old Star reloader be so desirable over a dillion, hornady or other progessive reloader. Dont understand the magic. I have a Hornady and very pleased.

Just curious. Maybe is investment, pride of owner ship ?
    We dont need no stinking store brought bullets.

Boolit Master
    For most of a century the Star reloader was the standard that everyone judged thier reloading press by.

In the early 70's I wanted one bad mostly because the other progressives on the market were less than progressive in operation. Price kept me from getting one as they were always marked up into the Ozone layer!

Then the late 70's early 80's hit and Dillon perfected both his 385 progressive, it became the 450, and his marketing technique.

He went factory direct! No dealer net work no questionable mark up or favortism you sent him 199 bucks and in a week you had a simple easy to use progressive machine capable of 400 or so rounds an hour!

Thre or four hours on a Sat afternoon kept me shooting all month!

At that point my interest in a Star reloader pretty much vanished! It hasn't returned either!

A curisoty from the beggining of the last century the Star maybe, and is for that matter, a good serviceable reloading machine.

Worth 1100 dollars? I think not! certainly it has Wow Factor being what it is but for me to spend more for that than I can buy a new 550 or 650 for makes no finanacial sense!

Others can, and will, disagree with me, as is their right, but for me my top price on any Star reloader will be balanced by what the current new price is on either a Dillon or Hornady progressive.

In fact were I to stumble across a Star reloader at an unusually low price the odds are it would find a new home pronto and I'd used the proceeds to futher either my need for custom molds or add to my stash of components!

Boolit Master

I just purchased a Star Universal a couple of months ago from a member of this Forum. I have wanted one for some time. If you appreciate well-made machinery, and you have a chance to operate a Star, you see what I mean. Although Dillons and other progressives these days are dependable they are machine-made-machines. The Stars were made by machinists. I kind of think of it like the difference between a stock pistol (any variety), and a custom shop 1911....imagine that custom tuned 1911 getting passed down a couple of generations and ending up in your hands: The feel, the craftmanship and the history.

IMO, its hard to look at a Star and see just a machine. Its more like mechanical art!

PS: Next time you look at a Dillon 1050 and then a Star Universal, tell me how important the Star was to Dillon's design!
    Jon

Boolit Grand Master

A Star loader is a good press. However, I wouldn't trade one of my Dillon 550B's for TWO Star presses. I had a Star for a couple of years. It did excellent work but was persnickety. It required OEM primers to work (standard, available, over the counter primers caused it to jam) and it took about twenty minutes to clear the jam. That went away when I got a source for CCI OEM primers. The tolerances in the Star were just TOO close.

I helped a good friend to rebuild one recently and I haven't changed my opinion.

YMMV,
    Dale53

thanks for the reinforecment of my thoughts. I think the same on the Star sizer and dies versus Magna Star sizer and Lathesmith dies.

I've also wonder a lot about this too, it seems that more than one relaoding item from yester years is worth a pretty penny. I like the look of the star reloaders, but the price drives me away and the worry of getting spare parts for it.

It's also interesting to see how much some of the books go for online.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the look of the star reloaders, but the price drives me away and the worry of getting spare parts for it.
    I've picked up 2 of them so far, still collecting a couple parts to set them up in 9mm/38 super and .45acp. When I was talking to Bill from Star Machine Works about picking up spare parts from him , he told me that there were no parts that he would recommend that I keep on hand,

The extras can end up a little spendy, dies and shellplate $200 a pop, auto index and shell kicker $280, bullet feeder $200

All of the above, has convinced me, to buy newer stuff dillon hornady.

Boolit Bub
    I had three from an a guy that got out of shooting and I sold them all. Happy with my Hornady AP.

Boolit Grand Master
    Think of it as the joys of owning a well made classic car. If you are willing, and able, to keep it in spare parts you can have the joy of owning a show stopper.
    Me? I prefer a new model. I don't do that kind of maintenance and don't own the tools to make the parts.
    I suppose this explains my 550?

Boolit Master

I heard all about the star lubrisizer and just had to buy one. Now that I've got it I don't like it at all. Too slow and makes a mess on the noses. I'm back to tumble lubing everything with 50/50 LLA JPW.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Grand Master

mpmarty;
    I am a BIG fan of the Star lube/sizer and have had one for forty years or so. I have put a couple or three hundred thousand bullets through one.

They do have a learning curve. If you are not willing to learn how to operate it then you may have problems.

As long as I cast bullets, I'll have my Star.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Looking at the Star reloader is like looking at a Krieghoff, or a fine Swiss watch, they don't make reloaders like that and like a Krieghoff or fine watch, you can get things that do the same job, just not with near the class!!

stop by my house, have half quart of xlox to give away.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    I heard all about the star lubrisizer and just had to buy one. Now that I've got it I don't like it at all. Too slow and makes a mess on the noses. I'm back to tumble lubing everything with 50/50 LLA JPW.
    Just got mine MAGNA a few days ago, had a problem with couple of bullets on the nose then on the bottom, theN perfect. matter of adjustment, Carnuraba Red 20 pounds pressure and fairly low temp, just enough to press in groove. Sorry you did not like your sizer.

Boolit Grand Master

Slow?

Shame, all it would take is a little ambition to learn the machine and "possibly" you would have a different opinion. A matter of a very simple adjustment and there would be very clean bullet noses and bases.

Slow?

Oh well, to each their own. Do you have any interest in selling this slow machine that makes a mess of bullet noses? Somehow I don't think there will any trouble finding a market for it.

BTW, you didn't mention how clean the noses of your tumble lubed bullets are?

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 05-04-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Well just pm me and I can take that off your hands. I'll even send you a few bottles of alox.

Boolit Master
    I don't understand that post either, the bullets are either too small, the heat/pressure is out of balance, or the punch just needs adj....set it up right and you're in bullet sizing heaven!

Boolit Master
    This thread somehow shifted from the STAR reloader over to the STAR lubesizer !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up a Chevron Case Feeder for the Star this week, need to get the rest of the dies ordered so i can start using it

Boolit Man

Star

The STAR reloader is a very well built machine. Some times a replacement spring or primer punch is needed. With a little care,your son can pass it down to his kids.
    It does require special dies,the shell holders are pricey and it is a chore to change from large to small primers.
    Purchased a Progressive(38 special only) STAR a few years ago w/ extras for $400. Found a Universal with 45ACP,38Spl,9mmPara and the scarce 380ACP for $750.
    Not as expensive as some think.
    When adjusted and lightly lubed it is a joy to operate.It is like a well made watch.
    Have been using STARs for 30 years. Have tried several other "hobbyist" machines as well as operating CAMDEX and AMMOLOAD commercial machines.
    The STAR is still tops IMHO.
    You guys who do not like(or understand) them,that is OK with me. Leave them for those who really like them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast