RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: help with Savage Bolt action

Boolit Master

help with Savage Bolt action

I need a little information. My father-in-law has a Savage Model 11, which is a 110 series bolt action. Its a .223 caliber, synthetic stock gun. He uses it for NRA Highpower. I must confess not being very knowlegeable about this particular model, or Savage guns in general. I have fired it a few times, it seems to be a nice accurate rifle, but that's the extent of my experience.

He is concerned that a part that is called the rear baffle in the schematic seems loose. This is the "C" shaped collar that sits just forward of the bolt handle and butts up against that cocking button. When the bolt is closed it is between the bolt handle and the rear bridge. It seems to be held on with a spring loaded ball bearing that rides in a groove on the bolt body. When the bolt is open, you can easily rotate this thing with finger pressure. Of course when the bolt is closed there is really no place for it to move.

Is this normal?

I am not sure how much or little finger pressure you have to use but the way you describe it it sounds just like all my saveage rifles. Just watch and make sure that it does not become too loose that it moves when the bolt is opened. I have never had that happen tho.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Buddy
    Patrick,
    I have a Savage 112 in .30-06 and that collar does the same thing on mine. I wouldn't worry about it. Probably wouldn't hurt to put a hex wrench in the back of the bolt and make sure that the bolt nut is nice and tight. But otherwise that's normal for that gun as far as I can tell...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928