Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: School me on crimps

Boolit Master

School me on crimps

Does it make any difference to the load itself which crimp you use? In my VERY limited understanding, it seems to be easier to keep things snug inside with a roll crimp. Is that wrong? I was thinking of ordering a roll crimper and spin doctor for the drill press, along with a bag of over shot cards or maybe buying a punch and making my own.

How would one approach a roll crimp with say, a Lee slug or a 9 pellet buck shot load?

...or is it a waste of time.

Boolit Master

an extra step IMO. use the right components to get a good star crimp is a lot quicker. the rolled crimps do look kinda cool retro though!

Boolit Master
    Seems to me, if you have a good fit with your wad/slug, you wouldn't need to fiddle around with stacking cards under the slug [if needed] to get it up to height.

Boolit Master

the cards support the base of hollow base slugs to keep the wad from jamming into the base, as well as provide proper criimp height. the slug or ball should be seated so that it sits slightly above the wad petals so that it, not the wad, opens the crimp, thus avoiding damage to the petals on the way out of the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    the cards support the base of hollow base slugs to keep the wad from jamming into the base, as well as provide proper criimp height. the slug or ball should be seated so that it sits slightly above the wad petals so that it, not the wad, opens the crimp, thus avoiding damage to the petals on the way out of the hull.
    I do both and cut the petals so the slug opens the deep roll crimp I put on my shells. I find I better accuracy that way.