Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: My 2015 ML Deer hunt.

Boolit Master

My 2015 ML Deer hunt.

My son Jacob an I left on the 1st to go on our deer hunt. We got there about midnight in the middle of a rain storm.
    In the morning we left the camper and it was still raining and fog. I decided I was not leaving the 4 runner, NOT. We found a buck that was swallowed up by the fog. Then we found a bunch of four that were in a spot we could get at them. The biggest one was a 24" wide two point. Well I said I wasn't going to get wet but I did. Jacob got a shot at the big one but missed. I think buck fever got him a bit.

We got back to the truck, got some dry clothes and got ready for the evening hunt. We headed out on the Atv and honda 90. I built the mount for the scabbard for the 90. I saw two bucks bedded down and we sneaked in on them.
    Jacob got on the cross sticks and the bucks got up at about 40 yards. His bullet hit the buck near the last rib and went forward into the cavity. Then it exited through several more ribs 7 total before it lodged under the skin in the neck. The bullet was a 460 gr Paper Patched Lee 500 S&W bullet, it still weighed 408.8 grains. The Knife in the picture is one I built for him.

Well the next morning we got up early. I headed into a place I hoped that I would see more bucks. I saw around 50 head of does and not one buck. We got back to the camper and another storm hit. Dang my luck!
    About 4 pm the rain let up and we headed out. We got about 1/2 mile from the camper and I see a buck on the ridge. I get ready to shoot off my sticks. The buck got wind of what was going on and started to head out. My paper patched 409 gr RCBS 11mm rifle bullet hit him hard. Jacob said you gut shot him! I said no way I saw that hit. So I reloaded and we headed up the hill. I found the spot where the buck was hit, it was a 90 yard shot. No blood, well for the first couple jumps. Then I saw the pink blood. He jumped a log and blood was on both sides, but he was running up hill. I get to the top and he had ran 100 yards without lungs, he was done. The bullet hit a couple ribs but that was not enough to stop that train.

I told Jacob to go back to camp and get the 4 wheeler and I would drag the buck to the road.

We got it back to camp and skinned it out.

We had a good trip. I don't get as much time with Jacob as I would like. We both had the plan for big bucks but in the end we had tons of fun with these little one. Maybe next year.

It's never enough time is it? Great hunt and thanks for sharing!
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Vendor Sponsor

Good story and GOOD hunting! Nice pics too! That looks like a really neat place to hunt..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Great job sir! I wish WY had a ML season.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Buddy
    You don't need to get too specific, but what part of the state are you in?

Boolit Master
    Ron, fact of the matter, any time you and your son get together..... is quality time.

Boolit Master
    Good job, nice shooting. Sound like a great time.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. My son is in nursing school and we don't get much time together. it was a awesome time for both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    Great job sir! I wish WY had a ML season.
    Maybe (if it's legal there) you can make your own ML season, by chosing to hunt with your frontstuffer during rifle season.

(At least two states, I know of, allow muzzleloaders during the firearms season.)

Ron - Thanks for posting, about your hunt, and for taking the time for pictures, too !

Boolit Master
    Ron thanks so much for sharing! I hope I can get a buck half that nice when I am out hunting with Johnson 1942! Our ML season here in Ky is 10-17, 18, 2 days, buck only, and 7 days in December, last 3 either sex. Good hunting, good shooting, good times with family, what more can you ask for!

Bravo. Dang it seems like there are a few great story tellers here on the forum. Another good story well documented along with being successful for both. Both are nice bucks. Its great to have spent time with together. I hope you can both at least get together occasionally when he gets in his 30s & 40s. Now I know there are more types of mushrooms for venison steaks.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Ron thanks so much for sharing! I hope I can get a buck half that nice when I am out hunting with Johnson 1942! Our ML season here in Ky is 10-17, 18, 2 days, buck only, and 7 days in December, last 3 either sex. Good hunting, good shooting, good times with family, what more can you ask for!
    Well, had did your ML season go over last weekend? A friend at work hunts in Cumberland Co. and got a decent 8 point. He said coyotes ran it right by him.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

your a lucky man to be able to hunt with your son or maybe hes the lucky one ..I miss my hunting partner ..thanks for shareing
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Buddy

Great story. Really good to be able to hunt with family.

Now that's the kind of hunt I like to read about.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.