Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: What type of ventilation for your Master Caster

What type of ventilation for your Master Caster

******Whoops, just want to make sure everyone understands I wasn't trying to sell any of the items in my photo without listing them propery......I deleted photos also and requested this thread be deleted also. Sorry about that*********Weather is crappy here in Utah today, so cast some 40's n 45's and waiting for temp to come up mind kind of wandered;
    I'm very interested in what types of ventilation set ups other casters use. I'm very very sensitive to any kind of smoke so I have to keep the smoke generated from fluxing vented out of my shop, and I guess it's good idea anyway. I used a bathroom vent fan, screwed it to the wall, duct the discharge through the wall and used 6" aluminum stove pipe I picked up at yard sale for a buck. If I had my druthers, I would use flex vent and not ridgid. I was going to make a hook to sit over my Master Caster but just use aluminum foil and then I can adapt to my RCBS and old Lyman 61 pots as well. Hope others will post their set ups too. Attached some photos,***********Photos have been deleted and I've requested the thread to be deleted also.***************
    Last edited by 44 WCF; 04-18-2011 at 05:02 AM.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Boolit Bub
    44 wcf, that's an awesome setup you have there sir! How many bullets can you turn out per hour with your master caster?

appreciate the note,

For me, the secret is running melt temp as cool as I can and still good fill out so I can keep the mould temps as cool as possible. I used to be able to crank over 600 38's an hour, when I was castinng nearly everyweekend and staying in the zone, but now shoulder needs to rest lot often. Big 45 bullets not near as much as it's more difficult to keep heat out of the moulds. An experienced hand caster with two molds will beat the per hour amount pretty easy. I set my MC up on a steel desk that I bought for $5 and set up sizing and lubing on another with drawers that I bought for $10.00 both at a local Church Flea Market fund raiser. Cheap but took me and couple of friends to get 'em hauled home. I have an RCBS bottom pour that bolts in where the MC is, next project is too arrange an easy way to swap each in and out and still be under the hood. Right now I don't have rooom to leave both out. Back to your question, with experience, correct alloy temp, technique and rthym I don't know now how many cold actually be cast. Might be decent thread to start if you happen to have the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyd View Post
    44 wcf, that's an awesome setup you have there sir! How many bullets can you turn out per hour with your master caster?
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

What kind of Ventilation?

I've got mine set up on a workbench right in front of a pair of windows in my garage. If need-be, I've got a box fan permantly mounted on the sill of the window directly behind the Master Caster. Any smoke from the pot always seems to go out the window so I'm assuming the lead fumes are doing the same.

Boolit Man

Boolit Buddy
    I use an old kitchen "hood" with fan in my shop, vents to the outside. No more smoke in the shop!!

Boolit Grand Master

My new digs has a used range hood vented into a chimney flue. Natural draw of the chimney usually removes all the fumes without even running the fan. When the furnace is burning, the suction will make your hair flutter. I guess I'll install a damper in the exhaust pipe.
    From now on, I'll be casting year round.