Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with a misfire?

Boolit Buddy
    To each his own, but I would never chamber and fire any 22 lr
    I found on the ground. The lube picks up dirt and grit that can and
    will damage your barrel. This includes any unfired round I may have
    dropped myself. Even the $5 a box and up stuff! If it hits the ground
    it's junk to be recycled.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Master
    one of the fathers at 4H asked me this while his daughter was shooting the silhouettes course
    she shoots at home , from the drive way , like the inside of the shooting shelter it is gravel he noticed that we were telling the kids if they dropped a round not to pick it up and fire it.

we explained that it isn't worth damaging a 200 dollar barrel to save a nickle , so what to do with those rounds , they get some that don't go off and some that get dropped.

my suggestion was a bucket of water in the shed toss them in by the time the water evaporates they should be dead , but if you just add water every time you get a dud round and toss it in you will eventually have a bucket with a fair number of rounds in it but by then they will be green or black with corrosion and the powder fully inert and they can go to the dump.

i know the dump isn't good recycling but it was the easiest thing for a parent with a few rounds here and there to dispose of.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I just drop them in the outhouse. I have never had the desire to recover and fire one after they have been put there.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I shouldn't admit this but I was at our .22 range on a visit,have been a member for 25 years,avid around weapons for 40 years.Anyhoo I had never picked any range dud fodder up before,but this one time,the temptation was just to great.I had to know if it really was a dud or someone that had a faulty lead slinger.I picked it up,inspected it closely,everything looked o.k.,looked at the end,only 1 light strike on it....so I chambered it,pulled the trigger and....pffffft.Didnt sound at all right,a baby could fart louder.I looked in the forcing cone and sure enough a lodged .22 round about a 1/4" up.Ended my day of shooting and taught me a life lesson about greed and stupidity,couldnt be ignorance (I DEFINATELY KNEW BETTER!}
    Last edited by GT27; 10-17-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master
    As I said in a posting on this thread I have scrapped out a lot of 22 ammo that is tossed into my clubs misfire bucket. Recently I pulled down a hundred rounds and I watched and recorded the head stamps on them just to see percentages. The maker with the largest percentage was remington with 77 % followed by Federal with 15% and winchester with 5%. The rest were non-name brand ammo or ones that I did not recognize the head stamp. From personal experience Remington has the poorest performance of all the bulk packed ammo. Followed by Federal bulk and then Winchester bulk. Also in my rifles and hand guns accuracy follows the reliability factors. I have quit buying bulk Remington or Bulk Federal if I can get Winchester. As far as more premium ammo the different brands get closer in performance but CCI Mini mags top my list for accuracy at longer ranges.

My solution is one most sane people frown on. I try each one a couple times in the gun it misfired it, then after waiting at least a minute (in between attempts as well), I try it in a different gun a few times. If nothing happens, it goes into a box that eventually ends up in the fire pit, one round at a time. This is NOT the smartest way to dispose of them, but it is fun. Over almost 25 years, we have only had one injury. My brother walked past the fire pit knowing there was a dud in it, and it went off and threw the brass into his leg. It was only a minor cut and burn, but that is why most sane people frown on it. I recommend NOT doing it my way, unless you are willing to take the chance of getting severely injured. If the one that hit my brothers leg had hit an eye, things wouldn't have been so amusing. I only pass this info along because the question was asked. If you are dumb enough to use this method, please don't do it with children around. They will tell others, and grow up to do the same thing. And we wouldn't want that now, would we.

Boolit Buddy

The range we have an ammo can for misfires - I just toss them in. At the parent's farm I twist out the bullet (used to use my teeth but now pliers, and either put the case on the ground and drop a lit match on it or dump out the powder and hit it with a hammer.

Not all that safe but don't really have too many .22 duds to worry about.
    Last edited by Lefthandshooter; 01-31-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    What would you have if you woke up tomorrow with only what you thanked the Lord for today?

Boolit Buddy

[QUOTE=carlsonwayne;1433151] it goes into a box that eventually ends up in the fire pit, one round at a time. [QUOTE]

We had a large pile of brush one time and about 75 old paper shotgun shells and about 100 rounds of assorted ammo that was so corroded it was of no use - especially since we didn't have a gun to shoot it in. We put the rounds in a wood box in the middle of the pile and lit it. About 10 minutes later they started going off like popcorn for about 2 minutes.

We was all standing about 50 yards away, and the next day collected the brass to be sent to the scrap yard.

Of course we also used to toss 5 gallon plastic jugs full of oxygen/acetylene mix in the bed of coals and run real fast.

It's a wonder we all survived intact to adulthood.
    What would you have if you woke up tomorrow with only what you thanked the Lord for today?

Boolit Buddy
    Several years ago a friend and his wife raked their yard of leaves and burned the pile. A .22 cartridge cooked off and the CASE hit the wife in the eye blinding it. They should be desposed of safely.

Boolit Mold
    This discussion has led me to wonder about the poor guys that have to mow the outdoor ranges with the misfires laying in the grass! I wouldn't want to be around while it's mowed.

Boolit Mold
    i use remington bulk packs....i know they are cheap but they shoot the best out of my modified ruger 10/22 and cant argue with 1 hole gorups at 25 yds and 3/8 at 50 and am suprised that they do not jamm or mis fire.

Boolit Grand Master
    The bullets are pulled with a pliers, powder dumped, mouth squeezed shut, then pitched.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12