Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M94 Missfires

Boolit Buddy
    Never had a problem with my '94AE Trapper. Course I didn't fire too many rounds through it before I swapped the rebounding hammer for a half-cock hammer set-up.

Boolit Grand Master

Beagle,

Let me know how it works for you. A question - does the 94 have the
    firing pin latching system like 1886 does?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember the Scoville article as well, but barring having that around somewhere, this might help.... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12077

Boolit Master

It does.

Now, I think I've discovered the problem and the fix but I'm still not too happy over the fix. I may convert to the half cock system when I find the parts.

The classic problem on the rebounding hammers sems to be a light firing pin strike and mine is no exception. I picked up a bunch of Reming LP primers at a gun show a year or so back. I'd been getting good results in my Marlin levers with cast using LP primers in the .25/35, .32-40 and .32 Special. Naturally when it came time to run a batch of .30/30s, I reached for the LP primers and primed a couple of hundred. The shorter pistol primers lowers the primer by a noticeable amount. That coupled with the light firing pin hit caused my missfires. The Marlins have a strong hit and had no problems.

I loaded 40 rounds Sunday with some Federal LR primers and had no missfires out of the entire 40 rounds. I was going to load and use up some Mag pistol primers I had to use them up when I discovered how low they seated. I immediately punced them and used the Federals. Hopefully, I have the problem fixed now but will be on the lookout for parts to convert to the old system and be done with it.

Looks like what causes the problems and light strike is that the hammer throw and hammer rebound function share and compete for spring tension from the same source and the dimensions of that fork more or less determine who gets how much.

Looks like Winchester and the lawyers fixed us up on this one. Here you have the M94.....an almost perfect machine that has worked well for 100 years and provided great service and they have to go and fix it. Makes you want to tear your hair out./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Beagle,

Let me know how it works for you. A question - does the 94 have the
    firing pin latching system like 1886 does?

Bill
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

I've converted so many of these i no longer have any old style parts left and GPC is pricing them pretty high these days. Good Luck.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    It does.

Now, I think I've discovered the problem and the fix but I'm still not too happy over the fix. I may convert to the half cock system when I find the parts.

The classic problem on the rebounding hammers sems to be a light firing pin strike and mine is no exception. I picked up a bunch of Reming LP primers at a gun show a year or so back. I'd been getting good results in my Marlin levers with cast using LP primers in the .25/35, .32-40 and .32 Special. Naturally when it came time to run a batch of .30/30s, I reached for the LP primers and primed a couple of hundred. The shorter pistol primers lowers the primer by a noticeable amount. That coupled with the light firing pin hit caused my missfires. The Marlins have a strong hit and had no problems.

I loaded 40 rounds Sunday with some Federal LR primers and had no missfires out of the entire 40 rounds. I was going to load and use up some Mag pistol primers I had to use them up when I discovered how low they seated. I immediately punced them and used the Federals. Hopefully, I have the problem fixed now but will be on the lookout for parts to convert to the old system and be done with it.

Looks like what causes the problems and light strike is that the hammer throw and hammer rebound function share and compete for spring tension from the same source and the dimensions of that fork more or less determine who gets how much.

Looks like Winchester and the lawyers fixed us up on this one. Here you have the M94.....an almost perfect machine that has worked well for 100 years and provided great service and they have to go and fix it. Makes you want to tear your hair out./beagle
    There is a relatively easy fix for this, but I don't know it well enough to relate it.

Come over the the Leverguns.com Forum and the guys there will fix you up.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12