Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Designing a Paper Patch template

Boolit Grand Master

Designing a Paper Patch template

I know that there's a relatively simple way to design a patch cutting template for a bullet, but I don't remember the resource. I think maybe it was on the original Shooters.com, the BPCR site.

Anyway, I want to try patching some of the 8mm Karibiner rounds to try in my 8x56R. I'm just not sure how one comes up with the dimensions for the parallogram.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Cut your paper to width cut one end on 45 Wrap twice around bullet mark top edge cut 45 and there you go pattern built.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master

The patch should wrap twice around the bullet and the angle should be 35 to 40 degrees according to Paul Mathews. The angle as shown in "The Paper Jacket" is measured as the amount of angle to be removed as measured from the upright. The angle of the template itself is therefore 55 to 50 degrees as measured on the template. The book goes on to say the height of the patch is suppose to be 1/16" beyond the origin of the ogive to 1 1/2 time the bullet diameter beyond the base to facilitate twisting and clipping off nearly flush with the base.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Paper Patch Template

The formula to calculate the length of the template would be "Pi x D x 2", (3.1416 x .323 x 2). I've used .323 for a bullet dia., you can use what ever value your bullet mic's out to.
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 10-29-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, guys, this one's already printed!
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

Col Harrison?

Didn't Col harrison show a picture of the the 'rolling board' he used to patch bullets? It had a groove and a line at a 90 degree angle. Lay the patch along the line past the groove and lay the bullet in the groove on the patch. Then roll the patch around the bullet.....it automatically started the patch straight....

Five engineers at a convention

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    Didn't Col harrison show a picture of the the 'rolling board' he used to patch bullets? It had a groove and a line at a 90 degree angle. Lay the patch along the line past the groove and lay the bullet in the groove on the patch. Then roll the patch around the bullet.....it automatically started the patch straight....
    Reference, please. I may have the book.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Buddy
    I believe Paul Mathew describes a rolling board in his book, I read it years ago, I do not believe there was a picture.
    nick

Boolit Master

Matthews does describe a patching board, I believe he devoted a whole chapter to it. I bought the piece of maple that he recommends but haven't gotten around to cutting the groove or making the marks yet. Heck, I haven't even sized the bullets yet. Darn my busy schedule. I'm patching for a strange rifle anyway and I'm sure things will progress slowly at best.

Super Moderator

.............For rolling on patches I've found what I think is the perfect surface. I bought a RCBS case lube pad, which is a kind of resiliant rubber. It has about the right amount of give to it so you can bear down on the boolit and really roll the patch on tight.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I use an old "mouse pad" . It works quite well and I can use the Case lube pad for lubing cases. I THOUGHT about using the case pad AFTER it was lubed, thereby doing 2 jobs at the same time!

Boolit Master

ooppss...

Yep....I was wrong...

Boolit Man
    "Pi x D x 2", (3.1416 x .323 x 2)
    The ruler/ micrometer is only a surrogate matching part.
    An older way is to wrap three wraps, cut a short nick through all to the bullet with a knife. The distance between three nicks is twice around the bullet including the thickness of the first wrap on the second, if you cut pretty close to the inside end of the paper.

Cast Boolits Owner

Not trying to horn in on yall's thread but I just got this mould http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11389 from old vic and would like to know if you think it may be possible to paper patch the smaller bullet for shooting in a .30 cal application? I figure it could be run thru a sizer to get lube in the grooves then wrapped with enough paper to bring it up about .015 in dia. followed by another run through the sizer to get it to the right size. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............For rolling on patches I've found what I think is the perfect surface. I bought a RCBS case lube pad, which is a kind of resiliant rubber. It has about the right amount of give to it so you can bear down on the boolit and really roll the patch on tight.

..............Buckshot
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    Not trying to horn in on yall's thread but I just got this mould http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11389 from old vic and would like to know if you think it may be possible to paper patch the smaller bullet for shooting in a .30 cal application? I figure it could be run thru a sizer to get lube in the grooves then wrapped with enough paper to bring it up about .015 in dia. followed by another run through the sizer to get it to the right size. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
    Robert
    .............Robert, you don't want to lubesize the slugs before patching as all traces of lube has to be removed. Lubricant has lots of wonderfull attributes, but being 'gluelike' isn't one of'em. I fully agree with sending the lubed patched slug through the die for a final sizing,

Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus
    Col. E. H. HARRISON did an article in the NRA Publication "Cast Bullets" on paper patching for .30 cal. rifles and there were severals references to correspondence they received throughout the rest of the book.

I am lead to believe the book is nolonger in print but many here on this site have copies, including myself, and access to photocopiers or scanners. If need be I could help but there may be someone closer to home who could get you the information to you quicker.

To scan and email from here would take longer than building one of the pryamids; the mail is better though. Give us a hail if you need the copy.

John.

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master

Wills, somehow that link comes back screwed up royally. I can't read the first part, and only have the second part. However, I think this only covers the .45 caliber slugs. Good basic information, but not what I was looking for.

Thanks.
    Wayne the Shrink

Every time you change paper you have to cut to a different length. Even changing the direction you cut the patch will change the amount of stretch you get and you will have to cut to a different length. My 16lb green bar computer paper cut with the grain requires 2.750 for .451 bullets and 1.875 for 30 .304 bullets.