RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: success in reloading a .22 long rifle for survival

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    Have you found anything you can do with the strike on box matches? That's about all I can find anywhere.

Mk42gunner, you're about the only one on this board that would know where I am.

I'm just outside Hume.

jim
    Hi Neighbor,

The Family Center in Butler has strike anywhere matches, (new ones). I think they're about a dollar a box.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    Have you found anything you can do with the strike on box matches? That's about all I can find anywhere.

Mk42gunner, you're about the only one on this board that would know where I am.

I'm just outside Hume.

jim
    HEB has the good old fashioned Diamond strike anywhere matches so we know they are not extinct.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Buddy
    Your local hardware store can order you some if you cannot find any online. I know we all know the dangers of strike anywhere matches but they are nothing to play with. I had some in my pocket and got a bump to them. I got a big hole in my shirt pocket---front and back. Rats chewing on them have set them off. Keep them in vermin proof containers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Hi Neighbor,

The Family Center in Butler has strike anywhere matches, (new ones). I think they're about a dollar a box.

Robert

Picking up a couple bags of feed tomorrow. I'll look around for the matches.

Thanks.

jim

How have we managed to survive all these incredible perils?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Dang and I thought I'd just keep an extra brick on hand.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Master

Yea I agree with the extra brick I think a lot of folks think a 22 LR is handy to have since ammo even at todays inflated prices is relatively cheap and since they are small you can store a lot with out taking a lot of room.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    Oh, THAT kind of brick.

I was gonna ask what kind of trajectory you're gettin' with a brick...

Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    Well, I tried it and it worked! I ground up some match heads into a red powder,......
    How did you do that without it going "Pow"??

Boolit Grand Master

Seems to me there was quite a thread on reusing boxer primers a year or so ago, maybe longer.

Could just buy a flintlock to keep around.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    How did you do that without it going "Pow"??
    Here is a link to a video by forum Delmar the shows how he did it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nphPRG6JA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Seems to me there was quite a thread on reusing boxer primers a year or so ago, maybe longer.

Could just buy a flintlock to keep around.
    It is much less time consuming to make primer mix than to make a flint. Also, the raw material for making primer mix is much more widely distributed.

Boolit Master
    I have in front of me a copy of "American Guerilla In The Philippines". The book was written by Ira Wolfert in 1945 and covers the experiences of Lt. David Richardson. Richardson was the executive officer of PT-34 which was part of the unit that rescued General Macarthur from the Japanese. Richardson escaped capture from the Japanese and helped form the Philippine Guerillas into a national wide cohesive force. On pages 94/96 of my copy he describes making ammo for th service weapons. He stated that for priming compound they used sulphur mixed with coconut shell carbon and they would fire 80 to 90 % of the time. Powder was from dismantled japanese maritime mine. This powder was too viooolent for use as a propellant so was diluted with pulverized wood fibers. He stated that five rifles were blown up trying to discover the proper formula. Bullets were made by fiing solid brass curtain rods to fit the bores. He states that bullet production never rose above 160 a day.
    All this was very hazardous and tedious but worked until they were able to get better weapons. At that time our troops were armed with the 1903 but if I remember correctly the Philippino Scouts carried the 1917 Enfield.
    Somewhere I have an old copy of Handloader magazine that describes the experiences of some people that were cut off behind Japanese lines in China. Their weapons were shotguns. Primers were made by removing the anvil and using a punch to remove the indentation. Match heads were used for compound and powder was made from old movie film. Shot was made by hammering lead into flat sheets and then cutting it into small pieces. It sounds crude but kept them eating thooughout the war.
    My suggestion is to lay in a large supply of reloading components while you still can. Neil

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Huh, interesting. Ever try rebuilding a Boxer primer that same way? Wonder if it would work?
    We had a thread on this a couple of years ago. A couple of enterprising men did videos on remanufacturing primers. Here's one to get you started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nphPRG6JA

Banned

I don't see how you could put that book down NoDakJak. Wow.

Boolit Master

I have been disassembling 22 LR ammo that went through Katrina and the powder looks like Bullseye in some and 231 in others.

Boolit Buddy
    Speaking of Richardson, I have one of the 'slam-fire' 12ga shotguns that he made under 'Richardson Industries' after the war, paterned after the jungle shotgun he saw in the war. It is a crude simple design that could get you some game for food but the slamfire action has no control of aim and is slow to reload. Never found much info on the company or the guns production, the photo I did find on the net had some differances from my samply that I got new in the box 2 years back.
    shaune509

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I would like to know what powders and in what quantity can be substituted for the .22 powder without blowing something up.
    4.0gr of FFFFg or Swiss Null-B black powder - averages ~ 1050 fps with a 40gr bullet
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Google 'anarchist cookbook.' IIRC, there are some recipes in there for primer mixtures. I'd include a link, but my .mil LAN won't let me access the material.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I have been disassembling 22 LR ammo that went through Katrina and the powder looks like Bullseye in some and 231 in others.
    Heh... when I disassemble 22LR ammo, it goes "BANG"

no chance for me to see the powder, other than a little puff of smoke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast