Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 40-70SS RCBS C Sharps Arms

Boolit Buddy

40-70SS RCBS C Sharps Arms

Has anyone tried one of the C Sharps RCBS molds in one of the C Sharps rifles in this caliber? I'm headed in that direction and was wondering if anyone has already tried the combination. I'll proably go with the 400 gr bullet. The folks at C Sharps tell me they designed the bullet. Maybe it will have some "magic".

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I've shot it in the 40-65 and it works good.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Close to 20 years ago, I had a C. Sharps 1875 rifle in 40-65 and shot the 300 grain RCBS CSA boolit in it. As I recall, it was quite accurate.

Coincidentally, 30 minutes ago I took delivery of a new RCBS CSA mold and it's also the 300 grain boolit. I'm expecting to get a new 40-65 Pedersoli Rolling Block rifle next week from Dixie Gun Works. It will be my first 40-65 since I foolishly sold the C. Sharps rifle.

Boolit Bub
    I have a C. Sharps chambered in 40-70 SS. The moulds I have are the Saeco #740, Lyman Snover, Brooks Creedmore and Paul Jones Money. The Lyman is way too far into the case (touching the lands). Both the Brooks and Jones have the reduced diameter front 2 driving bands. The Jones is new (2-months ago) and so far, I believe it to be the most accurate. The weights of all 4 moulds range between 410 and 420-grains in 20:1. I use Swiss 1 1/2. Cases are loaded "as fired" no sizing. With a light crimp to keep the bullet in the case, the bullet can be rotated while in the case but not pulled out. The smaller dia. bands let the bullet enter the throat area and with the bullet "floating" in the base, it helps "center" the bullet.

I plan to spend the summer with the Jones. But this fall I just might pick-up one of the RCBS moulds to "complete" the collection. C. Sharps set my barrel up to use the Hornady 405 Winch. cases.

I'd be curious what your OAL is with the RCBS touching the lands.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and got the 300 and 400 gr molds. I'm thinking the lighter one might make a good "plinker". If there's any such thing in a 40 cal rifle. I'm thinking it might be more fun to shoot than the heavier bullet. I went with the 40 simply because I don't care for extended sessions with a 45-70. It just "ain't no fun anymore". I have a friend who has a Paul Jones mold for the money bullet and he has given me 25 or so. I'm wanting to try that as well. I'll be using the 405 Win brass and would appreciate any load info that you guys might share.

Boolit Master
    I have both molds and use them a lot in my C Sharps high wall in 40-65. Both bullets shoot well in my rifle. I use the 300 gr one with 55 gr of FFG Shutzen for my 200 yard matches as it shoots as well as either of the 400 gr bullets I cast and saves 25% in alloy costs.

Boolit Buddy
    I just stepped in from the shop. My 400 gr mold came Thursday and I decided to try to start breaking it in this afternoon. It's a little rough on the outside finish with sharp edges and some burrs on the outside corners. Cavity looked good so I degreased it and heated it up. Smoked a little but I had good bullets after only a few casts. I ran 52 bullets that I thought would be good. The bullets are about .0005 out of round at .411-.4115. Next step was to weigh them. I picked six random bullets; 406.9, 406.8, 406.9, 406.9, 406.7, 406.7. That's a pretty good spread on 400 gr bullets. I'm happy with this mold......very happy. The 300 gr should be here in a couple of days. I'll feel like celebrating if it does this well. Probably call Blammer and go to Subway for a celebration lunch or something. (Dutch treat of course) I'm really pleased with the mold's behavior. I hope it'll shoot in the Sharps. If it doesn't .....all's for nought.

2Tite, with your selected boolits being within .2 grains of each other, I'm betting that you'll find a load that will be accurate in your C. Sharps rifle. I think the 40-70 SS cartridge is fairly easy to get shooting.

WRT the 300 grain mold I received last Friday, the fit was so tight that I had to mount it in handles to get the blocks open! After cleaning thoroughly with denatured alcohol and drying, it wouldn't go completely together, leaving a small gap between the halves. I solved the problem by using a half-round diamond file and lightly brushing the holes that the alignment balls enter; it didn't take much.

I coated the cavities lightly with Frankfort Arsenal Drop Out and the first boolits looked OK but soon faults began appearing. I cleaned the cavities with Q-Tips and coated them again but the problems persisted. My metal was well fluxed and clean. Once more I wiped the cavities clean and this time I smoked them with matches. For whatever reason, the boolits started dropping without faults and I pretty soon had over 100 cast. Most weigh between 305.0 and 305.9 grains with the vast majority in the middle of that range.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the exact same issue with opening and closing the new mold. It fits tight. I had to put the handles on it to open it the first time. I think the pins are out just a tad too far. It will be interesting to see if my 300 gr fits the same as these two have.

OK Guys,

I'm starting a C. Sharps 40/50 SS project and want to know how all of this turned out after a summer's shooting? I have been forming brass with a Lyman 403169 (too small at .407") but High Wall is shooting ok at about 2 inches at 100 with a 6X scope.

I only shoot at 220 yards, so am interested in how the 300 grain RCBS CSA bullet turned out.

Ric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40-50 SS C Sharps Arms.jpg  

Boolit Master
    There is nothing magic about those bullet designs.
    If the nose is large enough to be supported by the land they should shoot well.
    If they are undersize on the nose you are not going to be happy.
    EDG

I have had both moulds and the 300 shoots very good in a shiloh even .. but the 400 ;s nose was too big to chamber , that is where the chamber differences come to play , the throat or whatever you all want to call it fits the 400 in a c, sharps ,but is too tight in a shiloh,,in my rifle
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. Ric