Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: springfield xdm loose magazine/well issue

Boolit Buddy

springfield xdm loose magazine/well issue

wife just picked herself up a brand new springfield xdm match 40 s&w last weekend. both the extended magazine and standard magazine are rather loose in the well, to the point of being extremely disconcerting while shooting. anyone else experience this and any suggestions for a cure? in both releasing magazine and while shooting, the heal of my hand was moving around with clip movement. thinking a row of 3/4" uhmw tape placed vertically on each side of the clip would eat up some of the slack, but don't want to run clip too tight or reposition the mag in any way to impede feeding. any thoughts, suggestions greatly appreciated.
    this is wife's second personal purchase, first a sig 22, now a springer 40 and she still is looking for a proper revolver, but i'd really like this gun to work out for her, for a variety of reasons, mainly because it fits her hand well. again, any form of assist appreciated by both of us.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would contact the manufacturer.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    please forgive me if this is silly, but....

Are you sure you have the right mags for caliber?
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Master

I agree with contacting manufacturer. You might also go to the dealer and compare to another of the same model if they have one in stock. As a side note a friend sent in a Springfield for a minor problem and their customer service was excellent. FB

Boolit Master
    Are you sure it's not the bullets moving around in the mag? I have a couple of XD .45's and they both rattle when loaded.

Boolit Buddy
    correct mags for the gun, i believe, as whole package was unopened in the box when we bought it and round count is correct for each mag for 40 s&w. i did what i know is not a proper fix, but put two strips of about .0045 uhmw tape on front and back of each mag and it took up all of the slop, front to back, and still fed manually. haven't tested 'fix' on the range, but can very easily removed the strips, if necessary.

the slop, both front to back and left to right is very disconcerting when shooting, as the heel of your hand is moving way too much for a consistent trigger pull, but it may be me being too anal, as i shoot both a wilson commander and baer monolith with excellent triggers and might be expecting this gun to shoot/handle in a comparable manner.

i'm going to call springfield tomorrow and see what they've got to say. if this is 'normal', my interest in it as a carry gun for wife and for both of us to shoot may cease rather rapidly, but i'll hold out hope at this juncture.

bhn22
    How are you holding the gun that magazine movement upsets your aim? The mags in my 2 XDs aren't a friction fit, but neither of my hands contact them at all. Also, how much is "excessive"? We don't have a point of reference to go by. You might hit the XD forums & ask the same question to get a broader base to compare your issue to. By all means, contact the manufacturer too.

Boolit Buddy
    both the extended, higher round count (16 or 17-can't remember exactly) and the std length mag are both equally loose. the movement is obviously more pronounced and affects stable hold with longer mag, which is a more comfortable length for both of us to shoot, as you can get full width of palm around the grip...but it moves .010-.020 more or less in every direction, which doesn't promote a consistent hold, and resulting accuracy.

again, i may have an unreasonable expectation for tolerance, but this just seems way too loose for my preferences. guess i'll always be a 1911 guy. if i could just get the wife's hand around that concept, as well....

bhn22
    I know what you mean. I just dug out my XD9 Sub, and put the extended mag in it. It has a bit of deflection too, but it's never been an issue for me. I totally missed that you were using a factory extended magazine, and a bit of looseness is definitely noticeable. However, my Sub is one of the earliest ones, and I'd never noticed the play until you mentioned it. I think you're probably okay, and that what you're seeing is likely normal. It would appear that any looseness would seem to be multiplied by an extended magazine sticking out a couple of inches past the butt. It's just a longer lever sort of thing. My 1911s don't have any play in them either. Does your wife shoot it well?

Boolit Buddy
    weil, it's primarily her gun, and she's real anxious to get to the range. have about 250 rounds factory and an equal amount of components to get started reloading for it, as well. she qualified for her carry with my wilson commander and she shot it very well. i'm going to run it with the uhmw tape on mags and put a couple hundred rounds through it and see how it stacks up after a good break in. action will surely loosen up, just hoping the mag situation gets no worse than it is. going to call springfield in the a.m. regardless and see what they've got to say. i'll report back findings.