MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: When is enough enough?

Boolit Master

When is enough enough?

I currently have 800 lbs of clip on WW's and about 200 lbs of Stick on WW's. By my calculations I can make somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 boolits with this amount, but I still can't stop looking for more. Is this wrong???? I keep heatring that the WW's are going away so I keep looking.

Anyone else have this problem and how much do you have lying around. My wife istarting to think I am nuts, maybe it's lead poising......

I will have enough when I have it ALL. Actually I would keep looking just to make sure that I didn't miss any.

~2k lbs ww, 8-900 lino/mono, 5-600 pure. The wife knows I am nuts.

Jerry Jr.
    Last edited by southpaw; 04-05-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Grand Master
    when you can't pull the trigger anymore
    then its time to quit looking
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Never!
    My wife thinks I'm nuts too, btw.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master

how much sex is too much ????? it may not be around long lead that is

Banned

if i still have some left when i die i have enough, it's still gonna be good for someone else to use.
    right now i have a 10 year supply at current use.
    i'll live for 20 or more so i need double what i got.

Boolit Grand Master

(number of rounds per year * average weight of bullet * number of years you expect to keep shooting) / 7000 = pounds of alloy required

(5,000 per year * 200 grains average * 20 years) / 7000 = ~ 2,857 pounds of alloy

So, how much do you shoot and how long do you expect to keep doing so?

Boolit Master

1000lb
    is a good start.
    Don't stop or slow down.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Money or PB alloys , you cant have to much in either stash.

In Remembrance

Sorta reminds me of people that win mega millions on lotto games. Then they just keep on working at their same job that they could have retired from several years earlier. When is too much money or lead not enough to see you through?Robert

Boolit Bub
    When I have enough for the great grandkids and their friends to learn shooting, become proficient, and practice all their lives. Besides, scrounging lead is fun. A little twisted, but fun.

Boolit Master

That is just a silly question. My wife asked me that when I told her I had approx 1,000lbs. She was like "Well I guess you got enough and you can call that guy at the dealership and tell him you don't need those buckets of WWs anymore." I just looked at her like she had just ripped a huge fart. Needless to say, she got the point.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

OK, so the kids are 7 and 9, and I am 55. They will start Cowboy shooting soon. So assuming they shoot with me twice a month for the next 10 years and then get out of it due to going to college or someting, and we all shoot 200 grain 44-40/45 Colt. Lessee, 200 grains X 100 bullets x 4 people x twice a month x 10 years + 2742.85 lbs. I've only gto 4600 lbs ingoted so far, so I guess I'l keep looking!

Boolit Buddy
    Have no idea how much I have as it is in 4, no 5 piles plus nearly 50 batteries. And yes, my wife thinks I am a bit "off center" also. What really got her upset was when she stumped her toe on a 1400 rd box of ammo I had not stacked yet. It did not give very much--but her poor toe did. She still grumbles about that one. What would she have said over a stack of ingots--better not think about that one--lol. Have a bud who melted battery lead with his dad as a kid and he showed me how to do it safely. Nothing to it after draining, washing, and decasing--and washing in a base solution(baking soda works fine) until it stops bubbling. Dry then melt and you have good Pb.

Boolit Grand Master

My wife ask me that same dumb question, back about 1966, and 3 tons ago.(plus what I've shot)
    When ya can't get anymore, I'll still be looking. Finding is like the 10 X.
    Come to think I haven't picked up this weeks supply.
    See Ya after while ;>)

Boolit Master

Lizard33:

I think you have enough. Better stop now so that I can catch up! Especially if your the guy who always beats me to my secret suppliers by a day or so. Drives me nuts, all empty drums!

Seriously, I only have about 600 lbs, some COWW, some SOWW and some Linotype. I imagine I will keep going until I break 1000 lbs., then slow down a bit. Probably can't have too much as it sells easily and trades well too. Kind of like heavy money!

Note to -06:

I'd avoid melting batteries for lead. Everything that I have read says you're getting into stuff that you don't want to mess with. Take the batteries to a scrap yard and trade them for Wheel Weights! It is not worth the risk. I know your friend did it way back when with his dad, but batteries have come a long way since then. Lots of metals you should be avoiding in them. (Calcium and Strontium come to mind.) It's probably not the best lead for casting, either!

Just a heads-up.

DC-1

Wrong,wrong,wrong.There is way to much "HOARDING" these day's.You guy's with access to lead,really hurt those of us that have to buy it.So keep on bragging.

Boolit Master
    A simpler way to look at the math, if a bullet is 1/2 ounce, then 32 bullets to a pound. Most of us can shoot up 100 (3 pounds) in an afternoon or maybe even more. They make pickups in the half-ton variety for a reason!

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    That's a good point about selling the batteries. It's a lot of work cutting up those things.
    You could probably get more lead from the money you'll get than you'll get from smelting them.
    I only got about 4 lbs of lead from car battery that weighed over 30 lbs. If you can get $4 or $5 each, then you can buy pre smelted ingots here and save yourself all the work.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast