Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 8x56R

Boolit Mold

8x56R

I've been looking at a nice little Styer M95 carbine. I'm looking for brass and a bullet mold. Found the "J" word type bullets. I've also found the clips needed for the rifle.
    The only brass that I found have been berden primed.
    Last edited by timmylee4074; 12-07-2006 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Wording

Smile Brass

Have you checked the Buffalo Arms website? Mel

8x56R Brass

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/798
    FWIW
    DaveP kywoodwrkr

Boolit Mold
    Mel no I havn't. Thanks for the heads up.
    Dave I had forgotten about grafs. Just checked and they have more than just the brass. Thanks. Now to collect data.

Super Moderator

..............Tim, I've owned 3 of the straightpulls in 8x56R. If your's is like mine, or any number of others I've heard about, your groove will be anything from .330 to .332". If you're thinking of the Lee mould for that cartridge, forget it. It drops too small at from .329" to .330".

You need to get a mould for the 338, and the Lee version is a good one to get. You'll need a push through die to make a 'groove+' boolit. You can get one from Lee to size to .329" and then hone it out to your desired size. My M95's would swallow a cartridge loaded with a .338" slug, though accuracy was poor. The lands run about .316" so when the slug engraves it's shoving a lot of lead around. I think it doesn't do the boolit much good.

Here's some photos of my M95 (my other 2 are a M95/31, and a conversion to 30-40 Krag).

Amazing wood they put on some of these old guns.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    SOG International has M95's for sale at the time. They are around $100-$125, and they have plenty ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Buckshot:

Is that the issue front sight on there, or is it a fitted replacement? Either way, it looks good.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    Buckshot:

Is that the issue front sight on there, or is it a fitted replacement? Either way, it looks good.

That's the way it came.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Smile

The ones of these that I've seen have all had nice wood. Don't know much about the rifle itself. Picked up an empty 8x56R at the range yesterday. Funny little fat case with a venturi neck. Ought to be a fun little oddball to play with. Looks like it'd kick heftily with those big bullets in that little carbine.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    The ones of these that I've seen have all had nice wood. Don't know much about the rifle itself. Picked up an empty 8x56R at the range yesterday. Funny little fat case with a venturi neck. Ought to be a fun little oddball to play with. Looks like it'd kick heftily with those big bullets in that little carbine.
    ............It backs off a full military load pretty well. A 208 gr spitzer BT from a 19.5" bbl doing 2300 fps is right noticeable

..............Buckshot

Boolit Mold
    SOG has them on sale today only (12/11) at a very good price as part of their "13 Days of Christmas Sale". You can have a second chance Wed. which is wildcard day. I bought mine shortly after they opened this morning. ;o)

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    For what its worth, the Lee .329" mold is quite accurate if your bore is that size. I'm lazy, I only shoot it with Red Dot or 2400 but would imagine some better rifle powder loads could be developed.