Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which .308 ?

Boolit Mold

Which .308 ?

Greetings to all.
    A question that has come up in my life, which may or may not need an answer soon, is:

If you were going to buy a new semi-auto in .308, would it be a springfield match- m1a, a fn/fal -sa58, or a heckler and koch?

I'm kinda feeling the temps. in the semi-auto water.

I'm also looking at maybe buying a receiver and building my own, instead, if possible. I have never built a rifle before but one has to start somewhere.

You guys that have built them must have had a "first" one.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Boolit Master
    For your first, I would buy a factory rifle. Then while you are enjoying your rifle, you can acquire parts to build one to your specs. I recently purchased an M1-A and other than the full auto problem (wich was sent back to springfield) I love that rifle. I would recommend an M1-A or an AR-10 (Lr-308). The Lr-308 being the most available, cheapest, and most forgiving to shooter error.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

I've owned an H K 41, (pre-H K 91), a Springfield Armory M-48, (heavy FNFAL) and had on loan from the Marine Corps an M-14. Of those three, I would go for the M1A, but given a choice, it would be a BM-59.

The H K is a fine rifle, especily if you're into buying accessories and gadgets. I don't care much for the roller locking, or the ergonomics of it, seems like you need a 5" thumb to operate the selector, the sights are kinda strange, but they are reliable and accurate.

The FN is much more comfortable to shoot, everything is right where it should be, and again, accurate and reliable. The only down side is the metric vs. inch patterns, I guess you could get messed up there if you need parts.

The M14/M1A, again reliable, accurate, and things are where they should be. Easy to top-off a mag while it's still in the rifle, safety real handy, lots of smiths around to do work on them. The only down side is the expense of the rifle, mags, and accessories.
    Last edited by oldhickory; 04-05-2011 at 06:56 AM.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master

I have owned them all

I sold the HK and Springfeild , kept the FAL

First off not only is it darn accurate
    But the gas regulator is handy
    No chasing brass if I am working up a load or plinking

I either turn it all the way off and use the rifle as a straight pull
    Or turn it down enough so the brass only goes a short distance , all into a neat pile

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Colt SP901

Its new and it swaps with any milspec 223 upper. Don't have any history on it yet though.

Look at Patriot Ordinance
    http://www.pof-usa.com/weapons.htm
    I have a HK91 but if I was going to buy a new one...
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

My self, I like the FIN-FAL and the M1A. For a more modern platform, Rock River Arms LAR-8 is a nice rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    If I was going to have just one it would be the FAL type. Simple, reliable and plenty accurate for repelling boarders. For the shooter the adjustable gas port is a plus. tips open like an AR for very easy from the breach cleaning.
    The M1A is a great rifle... but cost near double and buying magazines will make you wish you had thought of this 20 years ago.
    I have 2 of each... would be a hard choice which ones go first..
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I have owned several M1a's when I was match shooting and they are very accurate right from the factory for their match rifles. The non match grade ones are OK but need work if you want top accuracy. The FN FAL I had was a Belgian FN commercial that was selling for more than an M1a when I bought it. It had a lot of good features and shot well but it had a heavy military trigger and the sights were not easily adjustable for windage. As a battle rifle it is a great tool but for target shooting especially at long ranges it was not so hot. I also owned a H&K 91 and it was without question the most reliable semi auto rifle I ever owned. I never had a single failure to function in over 20,000 rounds I put through it. It ever resized bulged and dented ammo that I could not chamber in any other rifle I owned and fired them without missing a beat. It also was very accurate until I had something like 12,000 rounds through it then it got less and less accurate until I sold it. As far as astetics the rifle was a club and awkward to handle and use but what a shooting machine!. If I were to buy another rifle I probably would buy one of the newer AR 10 rifles as they shoot well and can be had for less money.

On Heaven's Range

Good replies. I too have owned them all, including an original AR10 from the Sudanese contract (built in Holland in the '50s) and the HK91.

I agree that the "ergonomics" (big word for "how it feels") of the HK 91 are miserable. I'd rule it out just for that reason.... it is an uncomfortable device which I simply don't like, especially at the price.

That leaves the new-edition AR10s, the M1A and the FAL.Not being particularly enamored of the AR10, my choice has to be between the M1A and FAL, both of which I've used for decades, both of which I hold in high regard, and both of which I own.

An important difference between these two is that SO FAR the M1A handles cast bullets VERY well, and the FAL is still giving me problems. I've owned five or six FALs over the years, but never tried them with cast bullets until my current DSA. With conventional ammunition, it's just fine, as is the M1A.

One factor might be scope mounting, in which case the FAL is the winner. The DSA top-cover mount is very secure and extremely easy to install. The M1A mounts are highly problematic and expensive. Ergo, my M1A wears irons and my FAL is scoped.

So, my answer to the question (which .308 semi-auto?) is.... I DON'T KNOW!!! Big help, huh?
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

I have an M1A scout squad that I like very much, light weight (for M1A) and has a cool camo stock. A friend of mine has a match grade M1A and I have to say, it is one of the most accurate rifles I've seen. It is amazing how easily he dials in 500 meters ( for instance ) and hits objects at 500 meters consistently (open peep sights). A lot of people can't do that with bolt action scoped rifles. The wood is beautiful walnut, not filgured, just color and finsh is what I am talking about. I guess I like real wood too. We are shooting metal targets in informal competition and they sure do reing the bell when they hit (most of the time).
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master

Talking

My vote goes for the M1A. Do your self a favor and only cry once and get a match grade gun.

My Garand fills all my semi-auto needs. But, if I just had to have a military type semi-auto .308, I would like at the M1-A and the AR-10. I would not make the choice on which one had this or that feature. I would just buy the one that called my name and said take me home.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I will second the ar10 route, and specifically say the DPMS lr308 series. I have three and out of the box will all outshoot my NM m1a's, even the 16barrelled versions. ONe even shot one inch groups with German surplus ball when I was breaking in the barrell.
    Secondly I would go M1a, plenty of options and accessories.
    Third would be the FAL. Not as accurate with the upper two, but very reliable and well made.

Fourth would be a Saiga 308. While not as accurate, they are very reliable, probably the most reliable of the bunch.

Last would be an hk. I just think they are overpriced for what they are, a sheet metal gun, and not any more accurate than a Saiga. They are very light and ergonomic though.

Boolit Master
    My first thing on the list: magazines.

I am happy with hunting accuracy with my CETME's, and the PT-91 can be had for about $900 from CDNN in the April 4th issue of SGN.
    Cheaper than Dirt is selling aluminum G3 20 round magazines for ninety-seven cents apiece! plus shipping. A box of 60 arrived at the house a couple weeks ago, and the total was $82.

If you contemplate target/HiPower shooting, there are better choices. Unfortunately, by time you get one, tune it, and buy a dozen magazines, you are in close to $2 grand.

Is it still a hobby, or an obsession?

That POF looks like the handguard is six inches in diameter. By time you add covers so your hands do not get chewed up shooting it, you have something about the size of a roll of carpet.
    Besides, any website that says "Call for Pricing" makes me break out in hives...

I have a neat gun shop nearby. He knows I spend money, so he will usually let me take something out and shoot a magazine thru it. We go on Sundays, after church

Rich

Boolit Master

Talking

I will also second what akajun said about the AR10 with the advantage of the AR type rifles having no bedding to go bad and the multiple locking lugs makes them inherently accurate. I mentioned the M1A first because that is one that you mentioned.

In Remembrance

I have owned

them all except the AR .308.

My shooting partner has had a DPMS LR 308 for a couple of years. He regularly gets sub MOA groups with handloads. Short and light gun too.

I have my Garand and the FN 49 and a Bushmaster AR in .223 and my next gun is going to be an AR platform 308. I will keep the Bushmaster.

I can sell the Garand and ammo for enough to buy the AR .308. Darned few of the best accurized Garands will shoot as well as the out of the box DPMS LR.

Life is good

Boolit Master

LMT 308 MWS.

http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-wea...on-system.html

Or uild your own using Mega Machine's MA-Ten upper and lower. You'd save a few hundred.

http://www.megamachineshop.com/ma-ten-landing.php

You could get a Kel-tec RFB and have something different.I've never owned a bullpup but they look like a good one.They're hard to get though.I wish they would make one in 243win or 260rem.They're short and light and the recoil would be reduced in 243 or 260.The 308 kicks a little but the muzzle stays down on the videos I've seen.

Boolit Master
    45r,

I dearly wish someone I knew would buy one as well.

My CETME's are a bit homely with the wood stocks, but it does leave a place to stick a recoil reducer...

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast