MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone have one of those Ruger No.1’s in 30-30?

Boolit Master

Question Anyone have one of those Ruger No.1’s in 30-30?

Hi guys! I have been looking at this rifle, and it looks like a nice combination! Stainless and a 22” barrel. I was lucky enough to find a nice No.1 in 35 Whelan last year. After shooting lots of different loads through it I am not highly impressed with the rifles accuracy. I did all sorts of work to the foreend (free floating and glass bedding it). But it seems to like the cast loads better. I am ok with that!

I am hoping that this new model in 30-30 will shoot a little better! My expectations are to get 1.25 MOA at 100, or better. Not unreasonable I dont think.

I have never had any issues with achieving very good accuracy from a Browning 1885. I am wondering if I should just rebarrel one of my Browning 1885’s in 22-250rem. It would likely be cheaper as well, and a tack driver. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Dthunter; 04-10-2018 at 01:02 AM. Reason: My spelling sucks!

Boolit Bub
    Would it be possible to rebore, rifle, and rechamber to 30/30 then to rebarrell, Just asking

Boolit Master
    I would not trust a Ruger barrel to shoot well unless it is a varmint model with a heavy barrel.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy

1.25 MOA is a very high standard of accuracy. Maybe it is just me, but I can't get anywhere close to that. I've come to expect 3 to 4 MOA with cast bullets fired out of a light hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I would not trust a Ruger barrel to shoot well unless it is a varmint model with a heavy barrel.
    Is that just #1s or all Rugers? Lots of light barrel Ruger Americans beg to differ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have had and have a lot of Ruger Rifles. In 1s never had a bad one and only one I have presently
    is 45/70. I've got 4, #3s 223-44-375W & 45/70. M77s have had a dozen, only HB was a 220 and
    it was tack driver. I have a 270 from when they first came out and it is outstanding. I had a 1776
    Model 77 in 257Roberts that was a little finicky, it wouldn't shoot the lighter bullets, but held its
    own with 100+ grs.

My SIL has two Ruger Americans a 22/250 we put a Pentax 4x12 on and he's getting 11/2" with
    Rem factory loads. The other is a 308 that he hasn't shot yet. Reminds me I lied, I had a 77 Ultra
    Lite that wasn't anything to write home about. 2"-3" was its best.

I have 10/22s from the 60s & 70s that are good shooting 22s. A m77/22 that is my main serious
    22 that shoots one hole at 50'. The 10/22 is only one I know that has suffered accuracy since they
    cut quality.

I only shoot cast out of big bore low velocity cartridges as 44-375w & 45/70. So I have no experience with small & medium bore cast bullet proformance.

Boolit Master
    I have one Ruger 77V in 6mm Rem that shoots well.
    The remaining 77 in 7x57 plus a number of #1s and #3s past and present were so mediocre that I will never buy another Ruger that I don't plan to rebarrel. So no new Rugers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Is that just #1s or all Rugers? Lots of light barrel Ruger Americans beg to differ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Y3
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I have several Rugers that are fantastic and very accurate. In fact two of them are the low cost Ruger American the others are #1 and Scout rifles.

Boolit Master
    I had 2 #1B Rugers that were extremely accurate after I found out what they liked. I sold one, but still have one in 30-06 A.I. that I have sighted in to hit 2'' high @100 and will put three shots touching. This is with 180 gr. jacketed boat tail . My fireforming loads are of course a lot lighter charges of Red Dot, w/ 170 gr RF Ranch Dog cast bullets. with proper holdover and pharting around, I can hit a small 2x4 @ 200 yards. I have a fixed 6X Leupold on it.....

I wouldn't mind one, but I already have a single shot 30/30.

I prefer single shot rifles.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

My Ruger No. 1 rifles include the light, medium, tropical, international, and varmint. Every Ruger No. 1 I've ever owned would shoot MOA or better, no exception. Messing around with the fore end is neither necessary nor beneficial. The only adaptation I've made is to shoot slow. Between shots I allow two minutes for the barrel to cool, and after every five-shot group I shoot another gun for a bit to allow the No. 1 to cool further. These are, after all, hunting rifles.

Banned

a ruger #1 (hmm, or even a tippmann roller action) mated to a Good 'n' hefty 30" barrel would be a wonderful thing.

Not to highjack the thread, but I too am interested in the Tippmann RB rifle.

Banned
    at $1900, i'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    at $1900, i'll pass.
    Really! I had no idea they were that expensive.

I remember when you could buy Rolling Block actions and Trap Door actions from Brownells for under $20. Seems to me they were $12, but they might have been $18. No FFL was required. Either way, I wish I had a crate full of them now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Really! I had no idea they were that expensive.
    https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.a...emno=RUK1A3030

yep, thats why i don't want them.

Boolit Man
    Come on, guys. Nobody can sell a firearm for MSRP ( at least, I've never seen anyone TRY to sell one for that ). This is why retail pricing is a variable fantasy. Yes , most shops will flatly state "Price as marked " on all new merchandise, but MSRP gives them a justification for pricing that isn't what the customer may have expected, because "I've ALREADY got it marked XXX dollars below retail! " Pricing below the imaginary MSRP is SOP.
    Jus' Sayin'

P.S.- remember when, for a SHORT time last year, the hoax of Ruger #1s being discontinued was floating around, and EVERYBODY who had one in ANY condition was walking them through gun shows with asking prices starting around $1200.00 ? Yeah. Imaginary Retail Prices.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I don't think it would be hard at all to get a Number 1 in .30 WCF to shoot well. If I had the cash or an extra organ to sell I would buy one. This cartridge really responds well to handloading, and the lack of barrel bands and magazine tube can only help. My cheapo Marlin Glenfield 30 is an honest 1-1.25 MOA gun with it's favorite load of 30 grains IMR 4064 under a 150 grain Sierra Pro Hunter.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.