Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W M53 22 Jet

S&W M53 22 Jet

Just snagged a S&W Model 53 in 22 Jet. It has seen some use, but is mechanically in excellent condition. It has a Bushnell 1.3x scope. It came with some j-word ammo I will try out next range trip. I am on the 37gr. Hornet GB and am wondering if any one on the list has loaded boolits for the Jet? I am aware of the case set back issues and that cleaning the ammo and chambers can minimize this.

Please share your experiences.

Gunsmoke4570

Boolit Buddy
    sweet looking gun. Now that you've shown a picture a range report is required! Awesome find, did they make these factory?

Matt

Boolit Buddy
    Need brass?
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Got-R-Did View Post
    Need brass?
    Got-R-Did.
    I think you better jump on this.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Got-R-Did View Post
    Need brass?
    Got-R-Did.
    I've got 200 pieces. Send me a PM with what you have.
    Gunsmoke4570

Quote Originally Posted by Matt3357 View Post
    sweet looking gun. Now that you've shown a picture a range report is required! Awesome find, did they make these factory?

Matt
    Yes they were. Never were overly popular. Made from 1961-1971. Mine is 1st year of production. They have 2 frame mounted firing pins and were sold with 22LR inserts and have a selector on the hammer for centerfire or rimfire. Unfortunately mine didn't come with the inserts.
    Gunsmoke4570

Boolit Master
    Mine came without the inserts too. So far I've been using 40 gr "J word" boolits from Sierra and Hornady. My limited shooting so far has produced no sticking or jamming of the recoil shield but I started low and have been working up slowly. I joke with my friends that I have the worlds loudest 22.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    The “funnnest “ revolver ever built ! Also one of the loudest ! At dusk it produces a giant fireball. At the range it draws a lot of attention. Nobody believes it is a .22!

Only about 15,000 were ever produced.

Jerry

Last edited by GLL; 04-03-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    Nice woodchuck gun. What type of scope mount does it have? I beleive the 22 Jet was used in maybe the Contender or H &R( no set back problems of coarse). Nice find .Smiths are expensive. Saw a used SS in 10mm $1050 My the odd balls are i guess more collectable

Boolit Master

I remember reading about this gun when it first came out. Nice acquisition!

Maybe OT a little, but didn't somebody (Ruger?) make a roll out cylinder single single shot on a SA frame chambered for either the Jet or the .256?

Boolit Buddy
    The original Ruger "Hawkeye" was a single shot on (IIRC) the Super Blackhawk frame, .256 Win Mag. Passed one up for $300 right after I turned 21, another great gun buying decision on my part........

Boolit Master
    I don't have the exact data anymore but I used to size the 225415 boolit to 0.223" and shoot it out of my Jet with around 4 gr Unique. The bullet holes were a little oval at 50 yards but it was pretty accurate.

The full-house jacketed loads certainly had their uses. I would practice with the .22LR inserts at the old Tucson Rod & Gun Club range, where the pistol line on Saturdays was shoulder to shoulder. Inevitably, the guy with the 2" Python would elbow his way in right next to me and start banging away with "Super Vels". I would endure a couple gunfuls, then pop out the inserts, switch the hammer to centerfire and trigger off six slow-fire shots. I would look around and everybody would be gone, except maybe one guy down at the far end with his hands over his earmuffs.

Good times!

Boolit Master
    I lost a 1 in my post about the number produced ! S&W made 15,000 Model 53s.

Bent Ramrod: Great story and oh so true ! I use ear plugs AND muffs ! It is a sharp "crack' not a "bang" !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

GLL,

Those are some beautiful specimens you have there. Mine is no where near that nice.

Shooter6BR,

The scope is a 1.3x Weaver with a clamp on mount that must have come with the scope. The base is Weaver style and there are no extra holes drilled in the frame. The base appears to attach in the threaded sight hole and uses a set screw to hold it firmly? I plan on digging up a replacement sight first chance I get.
    Gunsmoke4570

For thirty years, I've kicked myself in the ass for not buying one I saw in Larmie one day....
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master

Boy that is nice. Brings back memories at about 1965 when I lost the hearing in my left ear. Made the mistake of shooting one of these without proper ear protection. I am not too smart today, but I really wasn't then. I have since learned better but too late.
    I would love to have one of those today. Nice find.

Boolit Master
    I have a photo of me with one in recoil with me eyes very tightly closed, man what a noise. 1974

Boolit Master in Heavens Range. man.electric's Avatar
    I have a 2 die set of custom Lyman All-American dies in .22 Jet if you are interested in owning an oddball set of dies the were hand engraved to go with your oddball sixgun.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought mine new in 63with an 8 3/8 barrel to hunt Woodchucks. Took the paint off my 64 Plymouth roof with it. I sent it back to S&W and had them fit a 22 rim fire cylinder for it. I had a gunsmith drill and tap another hole under the rear site for a scope mount. Have a Herter’s 1.5 scope. Still have the box but lost 3 inserts’. I also have 4 boxes of Herter’s .2245 J boolits for it. I used to shoot a 53g Lyman cast in it. Haven’t shot any jet ammo for a long time.

Boolit Master

I had one for some years back in the 70s when i had every model 8/38 in revolver S&W made !
    It was full target TH-TT-TG with extra factory 22 lr cyl and inserts . and it was loud
    Today all of those old blued 8 3/8" revolvers are gone all have been replaced with stainless ones and shorter barrels except for JET

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast