Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Rem 788 in 30-30 find

Boolit Bub

Rem 788 in 30-30 find

Picked up a 788 in 30-30, born 1967, at cabelas. Had a tasco w/c scope 250 + tax. Loaded 150 gr. gc Lee's over 10 gr. of unique giving 1544 fps. At the range I enjoyed plinking at a rock at 200 yards. Don't try to pry thisn away from me! best, greg

Boolit Master

You picked up an excellent cast boolit rifle and at a very good price!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    Good grab Greg

I know where one is but the owner wants $550. I have a 22-250 and would like to add the 30-30 and 7mm08.

That was a smoking deal on a great rifle. I can tell not many cast bullet shooters go into that store or it would not have lasted more than a minute.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    That is a great deal, I have found these, (in 30/30) off and on thru out the years, from truck guns to ANIB. Prices have always been , way out of line. I would have snapped that up too. It's amazing to me how when things are there,nobody wants them, yet when they are gone because of it, everybody wants one. while I could haave had one a few times over, they were just not worth it to me, Good find for you though. Crash87

Congratulations on the find and the price. Owned a 788 in 30-30 as a much younger man. Figured it out all own my on that it just wasn't powerful enough to kill a deer and traded it off. Ya'll think that's what they mean when they use the phrase "painfully intelligent"?
    It is time for the taxpayers in this country to impose term limits at the ballot box. Vote all encumbents out every election, no matter which party. It is time they remember who they work for and who pays the bills.

Boolit Buddy
    In the gun lust of my earlier years I bought 2 of them. The first was a shooter. The second because of nice wood. Only in later years did I stumble onto the fact that the 788 in 30-30 is a superb cast bullet rifle. I still have both of them.

In roughly the same time frame I acquired 788's in 44 Mag, 308 Win. and .223 Rem.. They are all incredibly accurate. The 788 was Remingtons dark little secret: you didn't have to spend big bucks for MOA accuracy.

Boolit Master

Talking

To get the best accuracy out of it make sure you cleaned all the copper fouling out of it and yes you have a great cast bullet gun.

Boolit Master
    Nice snag Greg, I would have jumped on that myself.

Last Friday evening I went to the Cedar Rapids gun show. I told the wife I was going only to socialize and really wasn't looking for anything plus I'm retired now. You quessed it, I was by the front door and spied a fellow waiting in line with his admission coupon in his left hand and a Marlin Mountie in his right hand. I went out and had it bought before he got in the building. A one owner 1969 Mountie as new for 350. I might have to get a part time job just for the deals that have and keep popping up. I hope the nice deals keep on surfacing.

Boolit Bub

788 loads

I found that I had to seat 125 & 150 gr spire point boolits deeper to fit in the magazine. They were accurate and I look forward to rockchuckin with this in Idaho. I had a 788 in 308 as a young pup and sold it. One of those painfull lessons we learn in life. best, greg

Boolit Master
    Nice snag Greg, I would have jumped on that myself.

Last Friday evening I went to the Cedar Rapids gun show. I told the wife I was going only to socialize and really wasn't looking for anything plus I'm retired now. You quessed it, I was by the front door and spied a fellow waiting in line with his admission coupon in his left hand and a Marlin Mountie in his right hand. I went out and had it bought before he got in the building. A one owner 1969 Mountie as new for 350. I might have to get a part time job just for the deals that have and keep popping up. I hope the nice deals keep on surfacing.

Boolit Master
    Trade you a wife and two kids!!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but have a question while we're on the subject: I'm getting ready to sell my 788 in .30-30 cal. Want to do it locally where I don't have to mess with shipping, etc. It's in almost new condition (aren't they all), early '71 model & has been pillar bedded & a real nice trigger job done on it. I have about $250.00 in it. What would be a fair price? I was thinking around $450.00.

Boolit Master
    I just bought mine from this forum for $500 shipped. But it has a Timney trigger and an unfinfshed Boyd's stock with it, and the original factory trigger and stock were included.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

BCall .... Thanks. That makes me feel that my price is in line. I'm not trying to make a killing on this rifle. But I want the price to be high enough so Mrs. oksmle feels good....

Boolit Master

Hey, Greg...

When it came to stealin', at least Jesse James held folks up with gun in hand. Last one of those I saw (in decent shape) was at Ahlman's up in Minnesota and they were asking $575 without iron sights or scope bases and no spare mag.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I might be too easy, but I sold it for $450.00 with 50 turned & reamed cases, (all indexed), & a Lyman #311332 two cavity mold along with some sample boolits & several ten round targets fired at 100 yards. I never got around to installing my 20 power scope on it to really wring it out. And finally realized that I probably never will. The gent I sold it to is a friend & a member of our local gun club, so I know how it will be treated.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one in 44 mag, part of the family. Bought it out of Shotgun news back in the early 80's for 175.00, close to NIB.

Boolit Master
    I paid less than 100 bucks for a brand new 788 in .243 along with scope rings and base plus two boxes of cartridges. It was a discount store clearance sale around 1970.
    The same store carried new condition No.5 carbines for 35 bucks, and good condition SMLE rifles for 12 bucks. Those were the days.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I just saw one at a gun show for five hundred bucks , I just couldn't see myself getting a second one for that kind of money . I don't think I'd let go of the one I have for any amount of money though .

Jack