RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 255 RNFP in a 45 ACP

Boolit Grand Master
    No reason Universal or Bullseye could not be used. The other three are less desirable or not suitable.

I have shot this bullet in the .45 acp case at a little over 1000 fps in a S&W 4506-1 with NO problems at all...This was using Longshot powder and it is a .45 super loading. I have not fired this bullet or load in a Colt 1911 or clone....I feel sure this bullet will work just fine if your barrel mouth is smoothed up...

Boolit Master

The Speer #12 Reloading Manual, has load data for the Speer 260 grain jacketed rfphp. At 6.9 grains of Herco, being the top load for this bullet. In 2010 I decided to try this load, and also replace the Speer 260 grain with the Lee 255 grain rnfp, and try it. I did call Speer directly, and ask the tech if this load data was correct and reliable. The tech assured me that the data was still good. After working up to the top load for the Speer 260 grain jacketed hp with no issues in my Taurus PT 1911, I switched to the Lee 255 rnfp. Doing some measuring, I found that the Lee slug was .080 shorter than the Speer slug. So, with the Lee slug seated to the same 1.20 coal, there was an added .080 air space in the case. So, with everything being equal except swapping out the Speer 260 slug with the Lee 255 rnfp, the functioning of the Taurus was fine, and accurate. This load Chronyd at 917 fps average of 10 shots. I used the Taurus factory spring for these loads.
    YMMV. I am not recommending these loads for you or your firearm. Just stating what data was listed in the Speer Manual.
    Last edited by littlejack; 01-18-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12