RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith 32H&R mag with lead

Boolit Master

Smith 32H&R mag with lead

Would like to hear from people shooting a Smith 32H&R with lead bullets. I'm getting very interested in one of these

Boolit Master
    I don't have a Smith, but I do have a Ruger SP101 in 327 that I shoot 32 H&R in, and it works great.

Boolit Master

I've got a lot of 32's and shoot lead bullets almost exclusively. You will like it I bet!

Nothing but cast bullets in my 16-4 and Ruger. Great combination for that. Mostly use #3118 and the Ranch Dog 32-20 bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

I shot several S&W 32 H&Rs. They prefer .314 sized cast bullets. Cast bullets [or swaged] are a perfect match for the 32 H&R cartridge and there are several excellent cast bullet moulds available. Also numerous commercial cast available.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I shoot a pair of 631's, have never loaded or shot a single round of jacketed. The NOE 90 gr. WC with powder puff loads is really fun. I have shot some of my 32 acp bullets, while difficult to find loads that work really well with the light bullets, it can be done. The Lyman 313445 at 95 grains works very well and I have run bullets up to 120 grains with good success. I PC all my cast bullets and both of my 631's like .313 - .314 diameters.

Boolit Grand Master

I still have my 631 (bought new when first available) as well as my 16-4. I shoot NOTHING but my home cast bullets. I had an early Ruger Single Six but sold it to a friend when I got the Smith's. It was a good piece, also. I had a Ruger SP 101 with 4" barrel that I had a Red Dot installed. It shot really well and I gifted it to my grandson.

I have a six cavity mold for the Group Buy 100 gr. Keith, and Mihec w/c mold, an NOE mold for the RCBS 98 gr SWC. All of them work well.

Both my revolvers are quite accurate with both the .32 S&W Long cases as well as the Starline .32 H&R cases. I have tried true "magnum" loads but my needs are satisfied with 800-1000 fps with a 100 gr. home cast lead. This caliber is a dandly field revolver on edible small game. I have used mine a LOT for this purpose over the years. Also, LOTS of fun at the range (and quite satisfying, too).

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 01-16-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I still have a decent supply of swaged lead wadcutters so that is what I shoot in my S&W 16-4. I use 32 long cases and target level loads of Titegroup, WST and Bullseye. EZ on the gun and me.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What Larry said.

Most important is to size bullets to fit cylinder throats and not to groove diameter of barrel, .314 works with most.

I use .32 S&W Long cases with Federal 200 primers and 3 grains of Bullseye, 3.5 of Unique, 7grains of #2400 or 9 grains of IMR4227 with Accurate 31-105T cast from COWW + 2% tin and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, sized .314".
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I too use .314 sized bullets for my Ruger and Smiths. I didn't come to this conclusion through exhaustive research. I cast them, they came out fat and I ran them through a .314 sizer. They all shoot really well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I'm planning to add a Smith 16. Need to save a little. They are pricey......

Boolit Mold
    You will enjoy shooting the S&W Model 16's Here are a few that I shoot regularly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W Model 16-4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	275544

As for cast bullet diameter is concerned, I measured some cylinder throats with plug gauges and found : 6 S&W and 2 Colt cylinder throats measured .314, 2 Dan Wesson cylinder throats measured .311, 1 Freedom Arms cylinder throat measured .312, 1 Ruger Bisley cylinder throat measured .314, and 1 Ruger SSM cylinder throat measured .311. I will add the measurements are all six throats per cylinder on each gun.

I only load to target velocities and use .313 coated cast bullets with great results in revolvers.

I like the 32HRM with cast lead. I have the Lee TL boolit and a mold from Mihec. I also have over 500 Meister 94 grain RNFP's that shoot nice with 3.0 - 3.5 grains W231.

I only have the S&W 631PD and a Single 7 now. I gave the Alan Harton improved "Vaquerito" to my daughter for her birthday.

Sold this one. It sure was pretty, but wouldn't shoot for me.

My only remaining 32 H&R mag (upper left):

Last edited by dougader; 01-17-2021 at 04:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Very nice collections of guns. The cylinder throat dimensions are good to know. I was on the verge of buying a freedom arms a few years ago but read some negative post about lead.

I remember being in my early 20's and looking at a Smith 16 with 6" barrell. I was young and stupid and ended up choosing something more powerful. I'm older and wiser now. I like the odd/rare guns. I have several molds that will work. It just sounds like a great cartridge to shoot.

Boolit Master
    I'll have to try this caliber out, I have a 32 H&R cylinder for my SA modern Lightning that I've never used.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Moderator Emeritus

My single six magnum 32 has throats measuring 0.312". The CA professional measure .3145". The Ruger does just as well with the same loads. IMO there is no reason to consider jacketed in the 32 Mag.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm planning to add a Smith 16. Need to save a little. They are pricey......
    More like “Need to save a lot!!” but it’s OK, not only are they [very] pricey, but they’re hard to find so you’ll have plenty of time to save up while you’re looking.

As for bullet sizing diameter, I had a copy built of a Model 16-3. The gunsmith chose tight chambers at 313” so I size my bullets to that diameter and use them for all of my 32s. My current favorites are a couple of moulds in the 100-105 grain range (LSWCs) and the likelihood of loading any jacketed bullets is pretty remote.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Grail Gun, a S&W Model 16. Only 1,600 made, per SCofS&W.

There were considerably more Model 16-4s made, I have a 6" example. It is the most accurate revolver I have ever owned. Its best bullet is the RCBS #32-98-SWC, and my castings fall free at .315". I size to .314", and they are accurate from 700-1200 FPS.

I have a Ruger SP-101 x 4.25" in 327 Federal. S&W needs to get off its aspirations and build an L-frame 7-shot 6"-barreled 327 Federal most ricky-tick. They make no end of J-frame 38s and 357s, how about some 327s??!!

My name is Allen, and I am a mid-caliber revolver addict. So sue me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Good information. A 16-4 is fine with me. I'm not power hungry. Target loads are all I will shoot

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Grail Gun, a S&W Model 16. Only 1,600 made, per SCofS&W.

There were considerably more Model 16-4s made, I have a 6" example. It is the most accurate revolver I have ever owned. Its best bullet is the RCBS #32-98-SWC, and my castings fall free at .315". I size to .314", and they are accurate from 700-1200 FPS.

I have a Ruger SP-101 x 4.25" in 327 Federal. S&W needs to get off its aspirations and build an L-frame 7-shot 6"-barreled 327 Federal most ricky-tick. They make no end of J-frame 38s and 357s, how about some 327s??!!

My name is Allen, and I am a mid-caliber revolver addict. So sue me.
    I’m going from my admittedly phaulty ‘phibian memory but I think the production run of Model 16-4s was approximately 8800, while the production of K32s, Mod 16s, 16-1s, 16-2s and 16-3s combined was somewhat fewer. There were lots and lots of I- and J frame 32s built, but for whatever reason they generally lack the cachet of their K frame brethren.

Since I’m a Philistine by nature and want what I want, when I want it (but being poor can’t afford the collector grade prices required) have had two 32s custom built on K frames, a pretty faithful recreation of a Model 16-3 (from a modified 14-3) and a stainless 327 Fed Mag “Model 616” (based on a Model 66 ND) both of which I enjoy immensely.

Froggie

PS I had what was probably the first Model 16-4 to come to my hometown, but didn’t know back then when I had a good thing and sold it for a small profit. “Ve grow too soon oldt, und too late schmardt.”
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast