Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good reference for S & W revolvers

Good reference for S & W revolvers

I Hope to buy a .38 revolver next year. Thinking I want a 4" with adjustable rear sight, just to carry and plink with in the field. I have large hands, so grip frame may be a concern. Is there a good reference out there for me to research?
    Thanks, Tom

A 357 magnum will shoot 38 specials. So buy a 357 Mag. Look for target grips for it. Research- https://www.smith-wesson.com/revolvers

This model is a good one. https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-19?sku=12040 Model 19 with 4" barrel, K frame, not to heavy. Has target grips.

Boolit Master
    Well, I with the admission of "large hands," I'd look at the revolvers in .357 mag caliber. You can always use .38's. The frames will be bigger,, and you have the ability to use more types of ammo.
    Plus,, if you have larger hands,, I'd look at Target grips,, or aftermarket grips to fit YOU!

As for a reference guide,, to S&W's Roy Jinks published an excellent book on S&W,, but I doubt it'd be what you are seeking.

There are a lot of reference books out there about S&W revolvers, but your question seems more about what's right for a large hand. Think "N" Frame. But, oversized grips are available from several grip manufacturers that will adapt most revolvers for a large hand. The most common is probably Pachmayr.

DG

Boolit Master
    My Model 19 S&W will last almost forever if I use it with 39 Specials. However, the original owner shot 357 Magnums and the high velocity 125gr HP loads split the rear end of the barrel. The N or L frame S&W revolvers don't have the thin flat at the rear of their barrels, so will be much more durable.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have S&W 357's and they are GREAT with all 38SP and 357MAG rounds. 7" barrels on mine. Nice piece of solid gun! Extremely accurate at distances.

I have a Ruger .45 Colt in the large .44 frame with a 7 1/2" barrel to hunt with, but a lot of gun to carry on your hip. Thinking a .38 Special would be a little lighter than .357 and maybe a little cheaper? Thank you for your comments, Tom

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have a Ruger .45 Colt in the large .44 frame with a 7 1/2" barrel to hunt with, but a lot of gun to carry on your hip. Thinking a .38 Special would be a little lighter than .357 and maybe a little cheaper? Thank you for your comments, Tom
    Sounds like what the model 19 was made for shoot with 38s and carry 357s

Boolit Buddy
    S&W model 15, which is a 4" similar to the famous model 10 with target sights. Put the larger target grips on it. It'll handle 38 +P.

Boolit Buddy
    Supica and Nahas STD CATALOG OF S&W lists virtually every model made.
    My suggestion would be to look at used revolvers. In my highly biased opinion pre 2000 S&Ws are the equal in every respect to the overpriced current production models and are aesthetically more pleasing.

Boolit Master

S&W Models 10, 15 & 19 are all K frame's. They are about optimum for a carry/use revolver. If you feel more comfortable with the extra power, go with the 19 or find a model 13 or 65 (same thing as a 19 but in stainless). Just do not shoot a lot of Plus P in a K frame, your just asking for trouble as mentioned previously. S&W went to the L frame for a reason. I have Model 15's and a 3 inch model 13. I love them. james

Quote Originally Posted by oldsalt444 View Post
    S&W model 15, which is a 4" similar to the famous model 10 with target sights. Put the larger target grips on it. It'll handle 38 +P.
    My pick as well, or the m67 if you prefer stainless. IMO the perfect .38 Special revolvers.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Lighter, smaller Model 60 3" 357. Big grips. Stainless. Cheaper.

SKU 162430
    Model Model 60 3"
    Caliber 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P
    Capacity 5
    Length 7.5
    Front Sight Black Blade
    Rear Sight Adjustable
    Action Single/Double Action
    Grip Synthetic
    Cylinder Material Stainless Steel
    Barrel Material Stainless Steel
    Frame Material Stainless Steel
    Frame Finish Satin Stainless
    Barrel Length 3" (7.6 cm)
    Weight 23.2 oz.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My pick as well, or the m67 if you prefer stainless. IMO the perfect .38 Special revolvers.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    In my opinion either of these weapons will accomplish anything one could remotely expect from the .38 Special round. With handloading, their performance will cover a broad spectrum.

I am convinced Daniel Baird Wesson was in fact an extraterrestrial, in that his factory grips were never meant for human hands. The target grips look nifty, but are flared at the bottom, making them like grasping the mouth of a trumpet. Happily there are many, many aftermarket grips, from inexpensive rubber to pricier custom premium wood. An inexpensive improvement to the standard service grip is adding a Tyler T grip, or equivilant by BK, or an old Mershon adapter. Some swear by 'em, although in fairness others swear at 'em.

I Hope to buy a .38 revolver next year. Thinking I want a 4" with adjustable rear sight, just to carry and plink with in the field. I have large hands, so grip frame may be a concern. Is there a good reference out there for me to research?
    Thanks, Tom
    How much $$ do you want to spend?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    S&W K and L frames have the exact same size grip, and some of the newer N frames well if I'm not mistaken. With that said, you can change the stocks to just about any size or material you want.

I have fairly large hands (size 10 glove), but the N frames just don't feel comfortable to me. A square butt K frame with service style stocks and a Tyler grip adapter suits me fine for .38 Special level recoil.

The best thing to do in my opinion, would be to go to a well stocked gun shop (if you can find one these days) or a gun show and pick up a few different revolvers to see what fits your hand.

If there is a rental gun range anywhere close, that is another option.

A 4" K frame or similar will carry a lot easier than anything larger. A Ruger Security Six will also fit most S&W K frame holsters, and be a bit stronger if rumors are true.

Good luck with your search,

Robert

Boolit Bub
    I have and shoot many S&W and Ruger revolvers, in a variety of cartridges. With respect to a S&W reference, I'd suggest dropping in on the S&W forum. Many experts that can tell you everything you need to know and more regarding S&W products.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

I was hoping to spend about $600, think that is reasonable? I started reading on the s& w forum today. Thank you for all your suggestions, Tom

Tom, you might want to search the various dealers on the web and look for a police trade in. Probably will not have adjustable rear sight but fixed, as they are more durable for service revolvers. Most, if not all are K frame model 10 S&W's and some are heavy barreled models. They are usually not shot a lot but carried every day so the finish will be worn in the usual places. You could save a couple hundred dollars of the $600 you want to spend and buy an after market grips to suit your taste if you don't like the service stocks on the gun.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    I was hoping to spend about $600, think that is reasonable? I started reading on the s& w forum today. Thank you for all your suggestions, Tom
    You can get your choice of used revolvers at that price point. I love my model 28 and I don't think it cost that much. Prices might be crazy now though, not sure.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast