RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
PBcastco MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 500 S&W in a rifle - Big Boolits and rifle powder

500 S&W in a rifle - Big Boolits and rifle powder

I have a 26" encore rifle barrel in 500 S&W. I'd like to load up some 700's over rifle powders and treat it like a rifle cartridge rather than a pistol. I can seat the big 700 from the recent group buy so that only the gas check and 1 drive band are in the case. That gives me A LOT of powder space.

I've seen in a few places say, "fill up the available space with a slow powder and you'll be fine", but how much boolit can I put on top and how much space can I use before this rule doesn't apply?

Question is, just how much Reloader 7-4198-H322-3031 can I drop in there and still be safe?
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Yup, fill up the powder space, but make sure the powder isn't too slow. That tain't a rifle cartridge (sorry), and anything really slow won't give top velocities, even if it does burn. Even under the heavy boolit. Those you mentioned might work though, especially Re7. You might have to do pressure tests and go from standard length to your "just in the case length" by stages. I wouldn't know where to look for data like that (big help huh?).

Maybe run a ballistic program on it. Modyfy the case volume to correspond with your longer length. My best guess. (If you don't have a Powley computer)
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

Doc_Stihl

Here is a link to an article that should give you a little more confidence on the fill her concept with the .500 S&W and slow powders:

http://www.wetinkpro.com/john/site/sw500.php

Gary

Pressure with the Lee 440 grain boolit seated .250 deep, and a case full (53 grains) of Rx7 is projected to be over 40,000 psi using the QuickLoad program. I would be careful about nearly doubling that boolit weight! That is the heaviest boolit in the program database so I can't run anything heavier for now.

I'm going to invest in QuickLoad as soon as I can swing the $$$. I am trying to work up 1200 and 1500fps loads for both he 500 and 460 in rifles. Hard to come by data at this point.
    Between that and a 358 win which doesn't have much data available, a 22 Cheetah Mark I, and some other less than main stream, I think the cost is justified.

Thanks for the suggestions
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Banned

Doc_Stihl

There is some loads for the 700 gr at the bottom of this page:

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/de...=Powder&Source

Gary

Boolit Mold
    Wow, 700gr at 1300 fps through a revolver. I need surgery on my wrist just from reading that.

Here are some loads I used in my NEF Handi-Rifle in 500 S&W with the MiHec 700gr:

OAL 2.575"

IMR4198 - 40.0 grs (full) - 1450 fps
    WC-735 (a surplus ball powder a bit faster than H335) - 50.0 grs (slightly compressed) - 1550 fps
    BLC-(2) - 48.0 grs (full) - 1200 fps

The 1550 fps load was PAINFUL.

My experience has been that you can use a full case of IMR or H4198 and any powder slower, with bullets up to 700 grs. I wouldn't go any slower than powders in the BLC-(2) - Varget range. I use a magnum primer only with the ball powders.

I use IMR4198 in almost all of my 44 cal and larger cast bullet loads - from 44-40 and 45 Colt, to 45-90.

I'll try soon the 700gr bullet from Mattsbullets.com in my Handi-Rifle and I don't see why IMR4227 wouldn't do a real good job behind it.

Boolit Mold
    I just picked up one of the Handi rifles in .500 S&W. I have a pound of IMR 4198 on hand. Do you think it would also work good with 350 grain Speer bullets? Or is 4198 better suited for heavy bullets? I know the opposite is true for the .223 Remington, but I'm sure it's all about case volume? I use 40 grain noslers in that.

Boolit Buddy
    i shoot a 600 grain gc pc with lil gun. 1400 fps load out of a pistol. out of my handi rifle, it's nasty. i shoot a 75 pound steel plate chained at 200meters. several times it's knocked the plate out of the chains.