MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Southern Maine Gun Club info

Boolit Bub

Southern Maine Gun Club info

I moved to York County Maine from Snohomish County Washington about five years ago.

Prior to moving to Maine, I was an active shooter at the Kenmore Wa gun club. Since moving to Maine, my shooting activity has stagnated, and I need to get back into the game!

I am considering membership in three different gun, fish and game associations in York and Cumberland counties and thought I would check to see if there are "Cast Boolit" shooters that belong to any of the three.

So, if you have personal knowledge of the Sanford/Springvale F&G Assoc, the York County F&G Assoc., or the Scarborough F&G association, I would welcome your comments

Thanks in advance!!

Boolit Master

If Captain Walt doesn't see this, send him a PM, WickedGoodOutdoors. He's in Saco...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a member at Scarborough F&G. Prices are getting expensive, $175 a year now. But we have a lot more space to shoot so I complain on one hand and reap the benefit on the other...

We have 3 25 yard, 1 50 yard, 1 100 yard utility ranges. 2-600 yard high power range. Comp pistol range. Trap, skeet, sporting clays etc etc. Indoor range...

I have shot at York County. They are up around a $100 a year now and for their facilites I think they are way over priced. If memory serves me 4 stations at the rifle range, you can shoot from 0-100 yards. They had two pistol ranges when I was shooting there big bore and small bore. Last I heard both of those were closed. They shoot skeet or trap too can't remember, not a recreational shotgunner myself.

Boolit Master
    Wow, I belong to two clubs here in North Central Pa and pay $10.00 a year at one and $20.00 at the other.

Boolit Master

$175 a year with a 600 yard range is expensive ? That's only like 3 bucks and change a week ! Ours is $200 and only goes to 300. Real estate and insurance ain't free . Ranges are getting scarcer and new ones are few and far between. That $175 will be the "good old days" before you know it.

Boolit Buddy
    I belonged to Falmouth Rod and Gun at one time. Currently they're shut down until further notice.

I hear Scarborough is the best range South of Augusta, but I've never been there. I can't swing the dues. But I think, for the ranges that they provide and the activities they do, I think its probably worth it.

I'm a member at Buxton/Hollis Rod and Gun. It's real short on range amenities, but its a place to shoot. And its mostly old codgers, which I like to hang around and listen to anyway. And it's cheap.
    "Yes, I handload almost exclusively. No, it isn't really cheaper, but I shoot a lot more...."

You have to remember that you are dealing with clueless idiots.
    They couldn't get a clue even if they rubbed clue musk all over themselves, and did the clue mating dance, in a room full of horny clues. -Matt G.

Boolit Master
    I just joined the western maine fish & game club, it is in harrison, they have a web site. it is $20 a year. Ed in standish

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    $175 a year with a 600 yard range is expensive ? That's only like 3 bucks and change a week ! Ours is $200 and only goes to 300. Real estate and insurance ain't free . Ranges are getting scarcer and new ones are few and far between. That $175 will be the "good old days" before you know it.
    Using that 600 yard range is the tricky part. After an in depth "balistics" course and a live fire "qualification" you are still stuck with a dumb rule. The rule is two people with radios between the pit and firing line. They are worried about people missing the berm from 600. I can understand the worry with an everyday Joe but after the class and live fire drills I think I have shown my ability to hit the target. If someone doesn't get a zero at 300 and then do the math for a rough 600 zero, the spotter in the pits isn't going to help this issue.
    They also allowed a guy 2 years ago at the live fire qual to shoot a flat top carbine at 600 when he had no idea what his zero would be, couldn't get enough elevation even if he wanted to, and was shooting Winchester white box 55gr ammo. They walked him into the target while he guessed at a hold over. Doesn't make sense to me.

Basically what I am saying is that you can't make a trip over after work and test loads for an hour. It is a day dedicated to 600 yard shooting. If your test loads are junk you still have to give the other shooter his time. In my world with a little one in the house that means very little 600 yard range time. It may as well not be there.

Boolit Man
    I grew up in scarborough and use to hunt pheasant at the rod and gun club.My parents use to own land on the other side of the nonsuch river.It was a nice club in the 70s.Now i just shoot at a gravel pit,there are four within 10 miles. joejr

Boolit Master

FYI;
    York and Cumberland Counties are the most heavily populated in the state.
    Consider yourselves lucky that you have ANY shooting facilities, at ANY price.
    Support them or do what I did. Move.
    I know, I know, You've got families and jobs and responsibilities. Prioritize.

And good luck one and all.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm also a Seattle area transplant (not that Snohomish is Seattle) and I'm delighted to find Oregon still has a lot of Flannel and boots outdoorsy feel. I have ranges to choose from, and they cost, but there's a lot of structure keeping stray rounds out of neighbor's houses. Very professional and not the "field and a small berm" that make most ranges. I'm not knocking low population density. I just don't have it here. Hope you find your niche in Maine. It sounds like a lovely state.

Thank God I live out west. I get in my truck, drive 5 minutes and shoot whenever I want, wherever I want, on PUBLIC land. One of "my" spots outside town I could shoot .50 BMG in any direction with no concern for public safety. Life is good...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

I belong to the York county f&g club. We have a 25 yard pistol range and a 6 station 50-100 yard rifle range. There is also a skeet field but I know nothing about shot gunning. There is also an archery range across the street. I have shot at the Sanford f&g it is a bigger place than the ycf&g the heated shooting houses are a nice touch in the winter.

Boolit Master

I live in SW PA and there must be over 30 gun clubs in a 1/2 hour drive or less from my house. the closest to me that i belong to is 2 @ 10 min the farthest 16 min