MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: going to start making 224 swaging dies

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by danr View Post
    by the way things are going, i might as well make the core swage apart of the full set.
    If a formal request is still necessary for a separate core swage die this will be my notification. Make mine a separate die too please.

Boolit Buddy

I will have a separate core die also.

Boolit Mold
    Is having a separate core die to swage the lead core to same size for every bullet?
    If so id like that done for my order as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I take the swaging die and punches.
    Thanks Sprink.

Boolit Man
    Danr, please make my set with the separate dies also. I'll try to remember to call you Thursday sometime, after lunch maybe.

Thanks,
    Kenny

Boolit Buddy

long awated pics

ok, so, i was able to finalize and test my build plans.. at the end of the finalization, i ended up with a demo set of dies to show everyone.

some things may be slightly different, as i have a little more tuning to do on the lengths of the punches and the uniformity of the punches, but over all, its basicaly what they will look like.

i've also included some pics of the test swages i did.

NOTE: the last image is of some of the poor swages i did, i had to adjust the die lower than normal, and i had to ram them up like i was on crack to make them.. but no dies are without their problem swages, so i thought i would include a pic of some.

after all said and done, EVEN the bad ones sized perfect .224's. so you could call those JXP's! lol..

from left to right the dies are as follows :
    de-rimming die, core swage die, core seat die, point swage die, sizing die.

the cores and swaged cores

the bad ones
    Last edited by danr; 04-08-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added die lables

Boolit Buddy

i have to say though, making dies on a lathe is much different than making them by hand with only a drill press..

just for a beginner, running a mini-lathe is interesting to say the least.
    but i do have a pretty good learning curve, and it only took me a little while to figure out how to get good cuts and clean drills.

Boolit Buddy
    Outstanding work and thanks for the pictures. It looks as if you had a busy week and I look forward to hearing my set is ready. Can't wait to try out the dies.

Dan
    I wanted to get my name out here. Give me a heads up when the sets ready, I'm in on .223 and on .308 when its done.
    I too will want the separate core swage die; fact is the set as you show it de-rimming die, core swage die, core seat die, point swage die, sizing die.
    Larry
    Last edited by lgvenable; 04-09-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ok. So I have to ask what ogive are these? The .22lr de rimmed looks great. The lead swage looks great. The core seat die looks great. The projectiles do not seem to have an ogive (A pointed arch) to them.

Boolit Buddy
    Danr, Everything looks great, but on your finish product is there going to be a ogive on the boolit or just a angle?

Sprink

Boolit Buddy

i agree with you guys, the point forming punch/die does still need some work. the reamer i used for my prototypes didn't work out well at all for the lathe. i'm going to go grab a set of the glass cutters i've heard so much about, and see if i can convert one to make a decient ogive.

the swage die top punch is what forms the point, so i can make different points and different ogives for the same die, just change out the punch. i'll post more pics as i get better results with the point forming punch.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    Dan
    I wanted to get my name out here. Give me a heads up when the sets ready, I'm in on .223 and on .308 when its done.
    Larry
    lol.. 308.. haha..
    yea. that cal is my holy grail.. one day, i'll be able to make a 308. but i have a very long ways to go before that happens. i dont even have a prototype yet.

dan

lol.. 308.. haha..
    yea. that cal is my holy grail.. one day, i'll be able to make a 308. but i have a very long ways to go before that happens. i dont even have a prototype yet.

dan
    Patience is a virtue, and 155$ die sets beat the Corbins, 600 + sets in front on you, and a year or longer lead time. or there's always hot rush overtime....
    where's that barrel I felt Corbin's was stretching you over!!

Boolit Master
    the swage die top punch is what forms the point, so i can make different points and different ogives for the same die, just change out the punch.
    I do not understand? I thought the point form die is what creates the ogive?

Boolit Master

These are what I'd call "spire-point" . At this price point, still an accomplishment !

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    I do not understand? I thought the point form die is what creates the ogive?
    i have 2 types of point forming dies.. one type uses a small pin as a top punch.. this has a tendancy to punch right through the bullet, which causes the bullet to be stuck in the die.. i had this problem a couple of times during build up, even after 2 hours of polishing and lapping the die, without lube, i still punched right through several bullets.

so, i opted for the 2nd design, where the point formation occures in the top punch.. this method allows the punch to push on the entire top surface of the bullet to remove it from the die.. thus eliminating the problems of stuck bullets.
    even with No lapping and polishing, and NO lube, i couldn't get a bullet stuck at all.. there was times where i had to really hammer the hell out of the punch.. the punch did hold up to my severe hammering.. thanks to the #8 tempering on the punch.

in any case, i feel that this method of ejecting the bullet from the swage die is much better.. both for the end user, and for production reasons. for production, the die body just has to have a stepped ream from .230 - then a lead in at .224 to support the main bullet body. the punch is also .224 so, it fits right into the die, with the die supporting the punch walls. however, this does make it so the end of the punch is RAZOR sharp. so i'll add stops on the top of the punch to prevent it from cutting anyone.

hope this explains some things for yea.

dan

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    These are what I'd call "spire-point" . At this price point, still an accomplishment !
    thanks shooterg. i appreaciate the comment.
    i do hope to one day be able to offer several different punches to allow the end user to select whatever bullet point type that they want.

i was able to come up with a ogive comparison chart, so that i can make a specific ogive. this "spire point" is a #10 ogive.

i'm working on a #5 now..

i am using this chart for comparisons.. if anyone has a better chart, or if this thing is completely off, please let me know.

http://www.uslink.com/~tom1/calcbc/coxe-bugless.htm

dan
    Last edited by danr; 04-09-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added comparison chart

Ogive is actualy bullet diameter x radius . A 10 ogive .224 bullet would be so long that your bearing surface in the rifleing using a . 22 rf jacket would be very short . I also would call these a "modified " spire point bullet .

Boolit Master
    Yes these look like short spire points. Most bullets have a tangent arc. For example, a 6S shape is an arc with a radius that is 6 times the bullet diameter and meets the full diameter part of the bullet perfectly.