Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 54 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: going to start making 224 swaging dies

Boolit Buddy

going to start making 224 swaging dies

hello everyone,
    a year or so ago, i took on the task of making my own 224 swage dies to use 22lr rim fire cases, and was able to make a set that worked out very well for me.

currently, with the set i have, i can make hollow points, Soft points, Full metal jackets, and Tracers.

i was wondering, if anyone else here would be interested in a set of my dies.

i'll be selling a complete swage set for $155.. this includes 4 dies, and all punches needed to do the above. the dies included would be de-rimming die, core seating die, Swage Die, and final sizing die.

for those who already have the other dies needed, i'll be selling just the swag dies and punches for it for $75..

now, you may ask why are they so cheap.. i began this project in discuss of the costs of corbin and c4hd dies that i started with the idea that they MUST be cheap, but they MUST last for thousands of swages. i've accomplished this.. they are not the High end dies that you would get from corbin, but they are made well enough to get you going in the world of swaging at a low cost.

they will have a 7/8-14 threads, so it can be used in normal reloading press's. RCBS RC or RC2 press recommended.. but others may work as well.

i have not started making them yet, and all i'm asking for is commitments to buy.. i will not be collecting any payments until the dies are completed and fully tested on both the RCBS RC and RC2 press.

eta would be a couple of weeks, depending on the number of people interested.

if you are interested, simply chime in here.
    once i have a set for you, i'll take pics of the all the components and the bullets it makes and send them to you, so you know what your getting. i'll then ask for payment. once i have payment, i'll ship them to you. sorry, i'll only ship in the USA.

Thanks,
    Dan

UPDATE : AUG-6-2011 : i have moved to a different method of making dies, they are now made by a production company and they are heat treated to 54 RC. the dies are also standardized to make replacements easy. because of this, a price increase has occured.

currently, the total cost for a COMPLETE 5 die set is $300
    this includes :
    de-rimming die, core swage die, a core seating die, a point form die, and a sizing die. all the punches needed to use them, a sample of swage lube, as well as a complete set of instructions to get you on your way to making bullets.

i have also expanded into a company called "Kaine Dies" and we are in full production.
    if you would like to buy a set of dies, contact Drickard@gmail.com.
    if we have a set in stock, your order will be shipped as soon as payment is recieved.. otherwise delivery will take 3 - 6 weeks. but it could ship sooner.

there is a review thread for those who have sets already, it can be found here -->
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...51#post1355251

thanks,
    Dan Rickard
    Owner of Kaine Dies.
    Last edited by danr; 08-06-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: updated changes

Boolit Master

If you take Pay-Pal I will be first in line. This was exactly what I was looking for. Dang 55gr FMJs get expensive. I would love to have the option of making my own.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    I just need the final swage die but I am in.

Boolit Buddy

payment options

yep, i would accept paypal.

i also would accept bank to bank transfers.. i already have an account setup for such things at usbank.

i need at least 7 interested people before i will start making dies.. i've also asked people on other forums as well.. so combined, as soon as i have enough, i'll let you guys know when i start making them.

so far, the response has been pretty good.. I dont see it taking long to get 7 interested parties.

thanks guys,
    Dan

Boolit Buddy

swage die only.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
    I just need the final swage die but I am in.
    hay tom.. i would be willing to make you just a swage die with the top punch and bottom punch for $75.

cant beat that anywhere.

if thats ok, i'll add you to the list..

thanks,
    dan

Boolit Mold
    Please add me to the list!! Full Set at the Price By PayPal
    Joe B
    Last edited by tuner; 03-29-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sent ya a pm. Oh yeah and will they fit in a Lee Press?

Boolit Buddy

re: lee press's

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    Sent ya a pm. Oh yeah and will they fit in a Lee Press?
    yes, it should fit a lee press.. as long as your press has a 7/8-14 die thread.. another easy way to tell if it will fit in the press, is if you have rcbs dies for your lee press.

i dont have a lee press to test with though.. depending on the press and its abilities, you could cause harm to the lower end cheap lee press's.. i have seen people snap press's by trying to swage with them.. however, most of those where trying to swage 45acp's.. which takes much more pressure than a 223.

i started out swaging my 223's on a RCBS Jr press.. the smallest and lowest press you can get from RCBS.. it handled 223's all day long and never had any problems.. until i start swaging 45's.. my mistake, i used a pry bar on it to swage the 45's. and ended up snapping the handle right at the threads.

alternatively you should be able to find a rcbs press on craigslist for $60 - $100 if you notice it takes lots of lever pressure to swage 223's on the lee..

dan

Boolit Master
    Well I can also use my buddies press. I do not think that the Lee will be a problem though.

I would likely take a full set at that price. I already have full setups but I am always willing to try new things and would likely push you to consider expanding to 243 as well. I have even pushed the rimfires out to 25 cal but not enough bullets to even test fire (5 total) I suspect that you could quickly sell all that you can make.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    I would likely take a full set at that price. I already have full setups but I am always willing to try new things and would likely push you to consider expanding to 243 as well. I have even pushed the rimfires out to 25 cal but not enough bullets to even test fire (5 total) I suspect that you could quickly sell all that you can make.
    once i get going with 224's, i'll see about expanding to other cal's. i'm already planning on doing some R&D for 308's made from copper tubing jackets.. once the 308's are possible, then 243's size can be applied in the same manner.

so, i can put you down for a full set for 224's?

thanks,
    dan

Boolit Buddy
    Danr,

If you could please answer a couple of questions:

What type of steel are the dies made from and are they hardened?
    How many bullets do you think the dies could produce?
    What is the diameter of the finished boolet?
    What kind of steel are the punches made from?
    What is the ogive? 6S? 8S?

Please advise.

Thank You,
    Martin

Boolit Mold
    Hello, I have been a long time lurker but just joined today and saw your thread. I too am interested in your dies and would like to know if you have any pictures that you can post of your dies and all the parts. Do you also have any pictures of your finished bullets that you are making with your dies?

Thanks for your help!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Danr,

If you could please answer a couple of questions:

What type of steel are the dies made from and are they hardened?
    How many bullets do you think the dies could produce?
    What is the diameter of the finished boolet?
    What kind of steel are the punches made from?
    What is the ogive? 6S? 8S?

Please advise.

Thank You,
    Martin
    hello martin, i'll see if i can answer your questions.
    the steel are #8 temptered
    the first that that i have made (* the prototypes *) have made a little over 6,000 bullets so far.. and still counting.. i use them for my own shooting. so far, i have not noticed any changes in the swaged bullets.. i do check every set i make with a micrometer, accuracy .001 +1 .003

finish bullet diameter are .224 - .2245
    but keep in mind, my prototypes where made with a drill press, and the center pilot holes where done with a lathe. i'll keep tollorances much higher with 100% lathe built.
    top punch for the swag die will be made from #16 tempered steel.
    bottom punches will be made from #8's.

i'm not sure about what ogive they are.. the reemer i have is home made and works fantastic.. i've been told it looks like a 6S. but i cannot be sure of that.

hope this helps.
    the main key to these dies, are that they are made with Cost effectiveness in mind.
    i'll never ship a set without testing them first, the test swages will be included in the shipment. i'll also supply pics of the exact dies that will be sent before collecting payment, so you can see what you'll be getting before hand.. i'm also always willing to jump into skype and share any details of the dies. i'm not trying to proffit from design nor do i plan to patent them.. i'm mearly asking for a little bit to cover my working time.

i can supply pics of the finished projectiles that i am currently making with the prototypes. i've shot literally thousands of them this winter alone.. and come spring i plan on doing ballistics gel testing of all types..

hope this helps,
    Thanks
    Dan

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by CTomlin View Post
    Hello, I have been a long time lurker but just joined today and saw your thread. I too am interested in your dies and would like to know if you have any pictures that you can post of your dies and all the parts. Do you also have any pictures of your finished bullets that you are making with your dies?

Thanks for your help!
    currently, the prototypes will prolly not look anything like the finished die sets. but the internals will remain the same. this is because of the lack of lathe that i had access to when i was making the prototypes.

i can provide pics of the swaged bullets..

FMJ's

Soft nose

and a pic of some of the cups before polishing.

seems i have shot up all of my hollow points.. i'll see about swaging some a little later on and i'll post pics of them soon.

thanks,
    dan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by danr View Post
    hay tom.. i would be willing to make you just a swage die with the top punch and bottom punch for $75.

cant beat that anywhere.

if thats ok, i'll add you to the list..

thanks,
    dan
    Sounds good. Can I get a lead tip punch as well. I will pay for it as well.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
    Sounds good. Can I get a lead tip punch as well. I will pay for it as well.
    the swag die puches will do lead tip as well. only difference is the amount of lead you put into the case.

if you fill the case to the top with lead, it will make a soft lead tip.

if you under fill the case with lead, it will make a hollow point

and finally, if you swage the case upside down, you'll have the start of a FMJ solid point. to finish it off to be a FMJ, you would insert a spent large pistol primer in the open bottom, and swage a second time. this locks the spent primer into the bottom to form a solid case.

all of this is done with the swage die with the top and bottom punches..

cool isant it!

did you want the full set, or just the swag die setup?

dan

Boolit Master

What's the weight of those?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Mold
    I would like to be added to your list for a full set.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    What's the weight of those?
    those where all 60gr.

i have also made 45 gr, 65, and 75 gr bullets using the same dies.

Page 1 of 54 123456789101151 ... LastLast