MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Paco Kelly tool for 22 mag?

Boolit Master

Paco Kelly tool for 22 mag?

In light of my post about a new or rebuild 22 mag has anyone tried the Paco Kelly 22 tool on 22 mag ammo? I have about deceided to do some smoothing on the Marlin trigger and found a Mossburg Chuckster that I have traded for. I'll do some stock work and bed them and smooth the triggers best I can. Between the 2 I should get a shooter. But wondering about swaging some 22 mags with the Paco tool? Thanks, 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Grand Master

I have his dies and my T-Bolt. I can give it a try, but not this weekend. Will be in Lynchburg for the eldest's birthday. I'm guessing the only advantage would be with the lead boolits. I have .221, .222, .223. and .224 dies. Any idea what size is ideal for the Mag?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I am not positive, but I really don't think it would work. The 22 long rifle uses a rebated base bullet where as the mag uses a standard type case. That's why you can't shoot a 22 long rifle in a 22 mag chamber. I could be wrong, but I don't see how it would work.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Bub
    B Call is correct..Wont work. 22LR has a heeled bullet keeping it from being pushed further in the case when forming, unlike the 22 Mag.

Boolit Master
    At one time you could order primed unfired .22 Magnum cases to build your own loads using standard bullets intended for centerfire chamberings. These could be trimmed to length for assembling the obsolete Winchester .22 cartridge intended for their early model autoloading rifle.
    First I heard of these cases was an article on the modified .22 PPK used by the CIA in the 60's. It used a shortened .22 Mag case loaded with specialized heavy bullets at subsonic velocity to allow a very effective silencer and increased lethality.

PS
    I don't think using a kinetic puller would work well, it might compromise the priming compound in the rim. If primed cases are still available that opens up many possibilities for tayloring loads to the specific intended purpose and achieving the best accuracy for individual firearms in this chambering.

Boolit Buddy

PACO ATS System

The PACO tool you mention for .22 LR will not work on the .22 MRF because the .22 MRF bullets are lubed inside the case. The .22 RF are lubed on the outside and as listed above. PACO sells another tool called the ATS system that will make a flat nose bullet for .22 LR and .22 MRF bullets for improved expansion. I have used it on .22 WRF Winchester bullets. It makes a cleaner cut on paper targets (wad cutter) and hopefully on small game. I don't believe it will improve accuracy.

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco-Flatface.htm
    Last edited by ohiochuck; 04-17-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I have his dies and my T-Bolt. I can give it a try, but not this weekend. Will be in Lynchburg for the eldest's birthday. I'm guessing the only advantage would be with the lead boolits. I have .221, .222, .223. and .224 dies. Any idea what size is ideal for the Mag?

Just for your info 22 mag is .224. Though as the other guys said with the bullet not being heeled it would push inside the case probably.

10 Ga The 22 mag kills big for its size I doubt you need to do any bullet altering.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.