MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: .32 H&R mag mold?

.32 H&R mag mold?

I have been using, or trying to use, the lee 100 gr. RN #311-100-2r in my .32 H&R Single Six with terrible results. The problem I believe is fit. My cylinder is .3105 my barrel is .310. The mold seems to be working for my dad so I don't wanna mess with it, so I'm in the market for a new mold. I have been looking at a mold by Lyman #313249 I am going to buy another sizer in .312 the last one I bought was a .314. I'm really trying to get away with shooting straight wheel weights if I can. Does anyone have any recomendations concerning this caliber?
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Moderator Emeritus

RCBS 98 gr SWC works in mine.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

I use the Lee TL314-90-SWC for most of my practice shooting in my SS .32 H&R. It also has throats at .311. I size them at .314 and shoot them. I tried .312 but found no difference in accuracy or velocity with the 3.2 gr load of Bullseye. The .314 Hornady and Speer WCs and SWC also shoot very well. However, my magnum bullets is the Lyman 313631 which is a GC'd 105 gr SWC designed for the .32 H&R Magnum. I do size those a 312. If you can find that mould i suggest you get it.

Larry Gibson

In Remebrance

I'd follow Larrys advice.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I don't have the Ruger SSSM, but have the S&W M16 and used the Lyman 311008. At closer to 120gr is on the heavy side for the 32mag, but worked well in mine over AA#7. I have the 311-100-2R, but used it for ultralight loads in 30cal rifles.

Provided your 311-100-2R casts larger than your cylinder throat dimension, it should work.

Boolit Grand Master

There is a group buy going on right now for a heavy for caliber .32 boolit. You may want to look in the Group Buy sections.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The Ruger SSM that I had in 32 H&R had throats that were .310, and the groove dimension in the barrel was .313. Not a very good combination. I did open up the throats eventually, but that gun just never liked cast boolits. I think there was an alignment problem between the cylinder, and barrel too so eventually it went down the road for better things. I do miss having a .32, but don't particularly miss that gun. I did get a lot of range time with it. Anyway, the point of this post is to recommend that you stay at 100 grains, or less on the stated weight of a mold for your .32 H&R. There are a number of us that just had poor luck with the heavier designs in that caliber. I guess the new .327 Federal can drive the heavier boolits fast enough to shoot well, but the H&R was right at the edge of what it could do before those heavier boolits started to shoot well. Gotta go now before I start thinking about replacing that SSM.

Larry I can't find that mold yet but I will keep a look out for it. I'm still behind the times on tumble lubing. I haven't had much success with it yet so I try and vere away from TL bullets. It is good to know that it will work and is an option.

Wayne I took a look at the group buys, they all seem to be a little heavier than what I'm looking for but good looking out. I didn't even think to look until you said so.

Montana I have been looking at that mold for a while but I have a beef with it. The design looks like the fron driving band sticks way out there and I'm afraid of throat leading. Being that leading is my issue right now I'm a little overly cautious I assume.

Thanks for the input guys. The more information the better.
    Nathan

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    RCBS 98 gr SWC works in mine.
    Ditto for my two Smith M-16s. No complaints and the mould casts very nicely.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I ordered the Lyman mold 313249 It's suppose to be a .32 h&r bullet. I'm crossing my finers. Next I'll have some tests to do.
    Nathan

Boolit Master
    I've had great results with the RCBS 98 gn. SWC over Herco, unique, and Win 231. Also the 85 gn. Hornady HP over max loads of AA#7.

Longwood
    I have some 32 brass that I keep trying to give away with no results.
    It is mixed and around 100 are mag brass.
    First PM willing to pay postage gets it

Boolit Master

Longwood, I sent you a pm.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS 98gr SWC, Lyman 311008 & Lyman 31133 HP all work great sized at .313 with AA#7.

Hmm. Well it looks as though I'm alone trying this different mold lol. Maybe I shoulda got the RCBS one. Well thats the way the ball bounces. I'm going to start off with unique and maybe bullseye. The first priority is to stop the leading. After that I'll worry about the accuracy. I was shooting really well with hornady bullets before I started with cast so I'm hoping to get back there. I'm sorry I missed the opertunity for the brass but thats what I get for not watching my thread close enough lol.
    Nathan

Boolit Master

I just got a SS in 32mag and the throats where tight @ .311 with a barrel slug @ .3125. I opened the throats to .3135. Have not shot it yet but just installed a wolf trigger spring and a max size base pin. I use the 98gr RCBS and also the little LEE TL boolit in my S&W 16-4, so the Ruger will get the same sized @ .314.