Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star sizer with a motor

Boolit Mold
    Here goes nothing I guess. I am more confused than a Amish man standing in Circuit City with all I have to learn to post with pictures.

This is one side view of the most critical linkage I had to come up with. The 1/2" threaded rod is welded to the piece of flat steel that is connected to the rotating plywood wheel. I welded a bolt on to the 1/2" nut that was long enough that it had a 1" or so shoulder. Then cut off the threaded part.

I then welded a nut on the end of the arm I made for the Star and drilled out all the threads. I also drilled a hole on top to put a few drips of oil in as all this is just steal on steal and i want it to last for a while. I do have the bullet feeder and will talk about that more later. But sense i had the feeder having my motorized contraption when cycling it needed to not only stop at the right place at the bottom of the stroke, it also had to make the handle stop at the right place at the top of the stroke. So my thinking was this. If I had the 1/2" threaded rod with a nut on it that would let me decide where the stroke would take place by moving the nut up or down. Then i could fine tune that motion by how long the arm was that goes where the handle was. Between those 2 adjustments I could control the length of the stroke and where it took place.
    About the auto feed. I first had plans to make this thing do most of the work. I first learned i had it running so fast that I was not able to keep up by dropping bullets in the feeder so i slowed the machine down. But the much bigger problem was the slight smear of lead when casting that would prevent a bullet from falling through the transfer bar of the feeder that would drop the bullet in to the die. If the was much flash on it at all gravity did not pull it through fast enough for the transfer bar to get back out of the way in time for the top punch coming down. That is where setting the belt tension as light as i could and still have enough power to size bullets came in very handy. I also was not getting lube all the way around the bullet no matter where I set the air pressure. As I slowed down the machine it got better and better. I just gave up on the auto feeder and am glad I didn't buy a collator. I had a collator in the past and I could never get it to run fast enough to keep up with an old auto sizer I once had. It just couldn't figure out which end went down on 1 of my favorite bullets.
    About the knee switch or moving it to hand operated. I agree there is a safety issue here. I feel that everything would go a lot slower if I took the time to hit a switch with my hand to cycle the machine. The time spent cycling the machine is the same time I am using to grab the next bullet. Two things I try to do all the time are never have a finger under the top punch in the process of dropping in a bullet and to pinch the bullets in such a way that at the most only a small part of my finger tips are under the punch. If I was much of a beer drinker that would have to wait till after I was done here.

Genius, I like it alot
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Banned
    Its cool. It does make me fear for your fingers however.

Boolit Master
    i had a girl lubing for me one time. she was doing nose down but the star had a reg. nose punch with a sharp edge. she too was holding the bullets on the sides and not letting her fingers get under the punch. she did not let go of one bullet as fast as she pulled the the handle. she cut a nice 1/2 round grove in one finger. she still has the scar. just do not let your knee get nervice and move before you get your hand on a bullet. very nice set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundnoser View Post
    You are tink-master.
    Yes he is.

Boolit Master
    Jarel,

Very clever............so now tell us about yourself. I'm sure this isn't the first neat "contraption" you've ever designed............

I bet dollars to doughnuts that a walk through your shop would reveal all kinds of neat "contraptions"............
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Mold
    I like to say that with Lafayette and Purdue university the school of engineering only 40 miles away that engineering is in the water around here. Roy you are right I have been tinkering my whole life and pulled of some dandies. I am particularly proud of the many hours that went in to me being able to load my 14' boat and trailer in the bed of my Dakota truck so i could pull it behind my old motor home up to Minnesota for fishing. I had the Indiana start police check it out and they all agreed they had never seen it before but said it was safe to have on the road. It made close to 10 trips with out a problem. Then I sold the motor home. It handled like a wet sponge with or with out the truck behind it. Went to a 1 ton Dodge diesel and a fifth wheel and love it. pull the boat behind it now.

Just curious. Did you consider Air clyinders. Trying to teach myself what would work. Per my trial and error methods 25 pounds of lead is necessary to push the handle all the way down with bullet in sizer. The down side seems to be expense for a 16 to 18 inch stroke, double action , three way foot pedal, and two regulators. And dozen or so other things.
    We dont need no stinking store brought bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tackstrp View Post
    The down side seems to be expense for a 16 to 18 inch stroke, double action , three way foot pedal, and two regulators. And dozen or so other things.
    I only paid $12.67 for a 8" dual action air cylinder from Grainger for the lube tube.
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Tried to duplicate using pneumatic clyinder to operatte the handle. Would cost over $200 and then not sure would have proper length, gave up. Sure can be done. but will have to settle for the handle return spring sold on Ebay and a string to pull the handle down. Handle pulling made my shoulder joints hurt. sometimes painful to size. Maybe Jarel will build kits and sell.

Boolit Buddy
    As a machinist, in Lafayette, at the large engine plant, I don't think very highly of your contraption. It's a matter of time before some one looses part of a finger. I know to many that have lost fingers or hands to punches and presses without proper safety features. Yea, I know you will say your safe, so did all the guys that lost something, distracted for a moment or got out of time, or done it for years and messed up just once.

I do hope you won't sell kits to others.

You, Mr. Jarell, are a wizard!!
    Founder/Administrator
    www.MSGunOwners.com

that is too cool!

about the only way i know to keep my fingers out of harns way using air

For those that have two ususable hands, the only way i know to keep fingers out of harns way using air is the two hand set up in the picture. This set up $60 from Clippard That two hands to operate .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails two hands.jpg  
    Last edited by tackstrp; 05-12-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Added comment for those that can use both hands

Boolit Buddy
    if I was worried about fingers I'd use the bullet feeder , then again I wouldn't use the Star without one anyway
    Last edited by angus6; 05-12-2011 at 11:07 PM.

good point angus. have never seen one in action for that matter only pictures . must try some time.

Boolit Mold
    I don't plan to sell kits. I will share the idea and as adults they can decide if they want to go this rout or not. I fully agree with you about it being unsafe. But this whole web site is devoted to what is known to be unsafe, the melting and handling of lead.

Boolit Mold
    As to pneumatic or hydraulic. I didn't even try air because of the sponginess of the air compressing till enough pressure has built up in the cylinder to do the work. The reason I now have a Star is because I wore out a lube matic that I put hydraulics on. I went to the junk yard and got the complete system out of a convertible top car. I was concerned that the brushes in the motor would not last but after thousands of bullets they seemed fine when I retired the set up. I powered it with a battery charger and operated it with a DPDT switch. I had small roller switches at the top and bottom of the stroke to prevent over travel. Hope this helps.

Jarel wrote:

But this whole web site is devoted to what is known to be unsafe, the melting and handling of lead.
    there are several caveats to be added to that, though. with the proper precautions, those so called "dangers" can be reduced or eliminated entirely. kinda like driving a car and wearing your seat belt...or shooting with safety glasses and ear plugs on/in.

otherwise, it all just sounds like more government hype..."the sky is falling...the sky is falling..."

sorry for the thread drift...

jarel interesting about roller limit swithchs to limit the amount of travel on the stroke.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast