Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Bullseye metering issues

Boolit Master

Bullseye metering issues

I've been having problems getting a consistant charge outta my Redding powder measure with Bullseye. I'm trying to obtain 2.7g and I realize that I can't hit that small a charge dead on each time. However, my charges as thrown run from 2.5 to 2.9. I also note that often the charges have a few granules of powder that looks like it is "scrunched" together, kinda like a "lead shaving fingernail" that we all get if we fail to bell the mouth of a case and try and seat a cast boolit. Is this normal for this powder and measure? I have a powder dribbler and I know I can charge low and work up to 2.7g, but that seems to be such as PITA for a .380 ACP!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy

I have the Reding 3BR measure w/ handgun metering. I consistanty throw 2.7 and it's so accurate it's scary. Make sure the thumb screw that locks the metering cylinder in place is locked down tight. When I first got mine I had a tendence of not making sure that screw tight and then my charges would vary by as much as 3/10 of a grain lighter OR heavier. Now that I've found this out I can throw 2.0, 2.7 and 3.8 of BE and if I weigh every charge it's right on the button every time.

2shot

Quote Originally Posted by 2shot View Post
    I have the Reding 3BR measure w/ handgun metering. I consistanty throw 2.7 and it's so accurate it's scary. Make sure the thumb screw that locks the metering cylinder in place is locked down tight. When I first got mine I had a tendence of not making sure that screw tight and then my charges would vary by as much as 3/10 of a grain lighter OR heavier. Now that I've found this out I can throw 2.0, 2.7 and 3.8 of BE and if I weigh every charge it's right on the button every time.

2shot
    +1
    Also, is there a time or height of powder in the column where the powder charges go astray. My Redding usually throws dead on but sometime I find it useful to drop 10 charges back into the can. This usually solves the problem.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jmsj View Post
    +1
    Also, is there a time or height of powder in the column where the powder charges go astray. My Redding usually throws dead on but sometime I find it useful to drop 10 charges back into the can. This usually solves the problem.
    Once again +1 on this.

I failed to mention that I do the same. I set the metering cylinder and throw 3-4 charges that I dump back in the can before weighing final charge. Like jmjs said sometimes 10 charges. The powder has to be settled in the measure before it will throw accurate charges. Once the powder settles it's dead on!

2shot

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the answers. I loaded a little more powder into the hopper yesterday, rechecked the tightness of the screw, threw 4 or more charges before weighing and ended up with a +- variation of .1g. I guess that's the best I can get with this measure.

Boolit Master
    Most scales are accurate to 0.1 grain anyway...

Boolit Grand Master
    Do you need better than .1gr? I really doubt it.

Boolit Master
    I agree, most scales are only accurate to .1g, altho my RCBS digital seems to be right on every time I check weigh. Again, I agree I prolly don't need any better than .1g, it's just that I'm new to small cases and small charges like 2.7g for the .380ACP, and when I discovered that different brands of .380 ACP brass vary in weight from one brand to another by 18 to 20%, I'd like to drop charges as consistantly close to the desired charge as possible; and I am gonna keep the brands separated!

Boolit Master

The .380 brass was a real eye opener to me. Speer cases take about twice the effort to size that Remington do. I've got about 200 mixed cases from range pick ups and I'm just shooting 2 grs of BE with a Missouri Bullet 105 gr cowboy bullet. It functions my Keltec 100% and is pleasant to shoot at 690 fps. I may just order 500 Starline cases and be done with it, at least everything will be uniform.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Do you need better than .1gr? I really doubt it.
    Nope.

My loads are mid range of the data anyway. .01 either way makes no difference and is attainable with Bullseye
    AA #5 when tested one time a while back on a carat scale, measured .05 grain.
    This is after the reservoir was settled in. A settled powder measure and consistent operation really makes a difference.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin