Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surplus powders

Surplus powders

I'd read somewhere recently that the current federal administration has implemented a policy to not sell surplus smokeless powder to the consumer market. I have been watching all the sites I know of that market surplus smokeless powder, waiting for inventory to change. It hasn't, seems to support the idea that Obie and his ilk won't let any be sold. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this rumor? I hope not...

Well, you can't blame the Kenyan for this one. You have to go back to a previous administration....no, not W either. Slick Willy is the culprit. With a stroke of the Executive Order pen, he commanded that surp ammo be incenerated before disposal.

What a guy!!

Jerry

BTW....check GIBrass.com. Jeff has added some powder recently.
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Clinton did shut it down, or at least some of his minions did. I have seen some recent references that powder may soon return to surplus market. This is connected to the saving of brass last year,that was to be destroyed. The way I read the proposed bill, it would be illegal for them to destroy usable surplus items.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    ~ I have seen some recent references that powder may soon return to surplus market. This is connected to the saving of brass last year,that was to be destroyed. The way I read the proposed bill, it would be illegal for them to destroy usable surplus items.
    Ahh. That's great news. I'd like to see that Bill if you know the number. I would contact my representatives and ask them to vote their approval. Given the colossal debt this country has accumulated, IMO the federal government should be trying to generate revenue any way they can so long as it doesn't additionally burden the citizens, especially considering that they just can't seem to quit spending money they don't have.

So Clinton made this change. Well...those were sure different times. Thanks for the responses.

Boolit Grand Master
    I hope you are correct about the surplus powders Waksupi!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm not positive where I saw this, most likely on Steve Wenger's daily newsletter.

Check around here.

http://www.spw-duf.info/
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    HI,
    Remember who was behind SLICK WILLY CLINTON,-- AND NOT ENTIRELY IN THE SHADOWS.Remember who is secretary of state & wants to be the 1st woman president.
    Jeff Cooper gave us a early warning about "she who's name should not be mentioned" in the gun site gossip he wrote, before Billy Boy was elected.
    He was right. KEEP WATCHING!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM BOOM View Post
    HI,
    Remember who was behind SLICK WILLY CLINTON,-- AND NOT ENTIRELY IN THE SHADOWS.Remember who is secretary of state & wants to be the 1st woman president.
    Jeff Cooper gave us a early warning about "she who's name should not be mentioned" in the gun site gossip he wrote, before Billy Boy was elected.
    He was right. KEEP WATCHING!

Another issue one must remember is that the US military has not abandoned a caliber for many years, combined with the fact that we've been at war for almost 10 years now.

The last caliber we officially abandoned was, arguably, the 45ACP. The M9 replaced the 1911 in the mid-80s, but there weren't enough M9s in inventory to replace all the 1911s until the 90s. Some units still issue pistols in the 45 ACP chambering (mainly Special Forces and Marine Corps MEUs) and I know there were some M3 Grease Guns still floating around (mostly in armored and transportation units' inventories) as recently as the mid-90s. So, my best guess is that it was 45 ammunition that was incinerated by the "evil C's" rather than released on the market.

The caliber before that which we abandoned was the good old 30-06. I bought some of the last surplus brass to hit the market in that caliber in the mid-90s, so I think most of it got out before the "evil C's" could destroy it.

30 Carbine was gone before the 30-06.

Combine the fact that our military uses all the calibers of ammo that would still be stockpiled, combined with the fact that we've been at war for 10 years (training ammo expenditures I'm sure have gone up as well as actual combat use of ammo), and I'd be surprised if the US military has any surplus for the foreseeable future.

What may happen is that the contracts to produce ammo 24/7/365 might still be in full swing when the war ends, and that could produce a mini-surplus, but that will probably go into storage and be held there to re-build that, and it won't be surplused for another 20-30 years after that -- if there's any left that wasn't shot up in training in the interim (because they usually use up the old stuff first).

Foreign surplus is a potential, but it depends too. I remember watching a show about the German govt. (just after East and West Germany re-unified) proudly putting some former-East Germans to work breaking down the old stockpiles of E. German 7.62x39 ammo. I thought to myself -- Crazy! They could just as well put them to work re-boxing it into commercial boxes and transporting and selling it over here in America! The show also declared how the peace-loving unified Germany govt. was also mandating that all components of the ammunition MUST be destroyed. The factory burned the powder in it's boilers to make heat and electricity to run the plant. The brass, copper, lead, and steel were all separated out, melted down, and sold as scrap. Don't remember what they did with the primers, but I seem to recall incineration(?).

So, you see, we are at the whim of politics no matter where we turn. Combine that with the powder plants in Asia, Eastern Europe, and Russia, where people are begging for work, even at low wages, and there are brand new powders available which can be gotten cheaply. (Rex powders are a good example.) This also cuts into the market for surplus powders.

Look at Jeff's website. He's selling 8-lb kegs of WC680 for the same OR MORE than what I can buy commercial equivalents for off my dealers shelves!! Why would I buy from him, when I can buy cannister powders with reliable load data available for less money (plus no shipping or Haz-Mat fee)??
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    I hope & pray Waksupi is right!
    I sure could use 20 lbs. of the disappeared Russian Unique.
    I agree we are at the mercy of the politicians of all countries in the matter.
    We can only hope to effect the ones in our own countries.
    I still pick up range brass in military 30 carb., 30/06, 45 acp, 38 occasionally.
    Lots of fired 9mm ,223, & Russian 30 laying on the ground.
    Just not much of what I use, DARN!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

BoomBoom Wrote

I still pick up range brass in military 30 carb., 30/06, 45 acp, 38 occasionally.
    You mean we're supposed to shoot whatever brass we pick up? I thought we were supposed to pick up the brass and, after we collected enough of one caliber, we buy a firearm which shoots that caliber. Dang, I've had it wrong all these years. Don't tell my wife. She thinks I have too many guns as it is ("What do you NEED it for?").

Thats for trading! I pick up everything I can get away with from the range. It costs me $10 to shoot a pistol so I figure I "have to" pick up my brass. If other brass gets mixed in... I just save the calibers that I don't load because I just know someone on here can use it.

Armorer

Boolit Master

Sometimes the stroke of a Presidential pen avoids all of that silly wrangling over the intent/content of a Bill.

Federal or State level Executive Orders can be more damaging than all Bills combined . . .

Especially in a land of sheepeople.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC

trading

Quote Originally Posted by Armorer View Post
    Thats for trading! I pick up everything I can get away with from the range. It costs me $10 to shoot a pistol so I figure I "have to" pick up my brass. If other brass gets mixed in... I just save the calibers that I don't load because I just know someone on here can use it.

Armorer
    +1on trading. I'd trade for some of that 7.62x39 right now!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post

snip

Look at Jeff's website. He's selling 8-lb kegs of WC680 for the same OR MORE than what I can buy commercial equivalents for off my dealers shelves!! Why would I buy from him, when I can buy cannister powders with reliable load data available for less money (plus no shipping or Haz-Mat fee)??
    You are a lucky man to have a dealer who sells 8 lbs of Accurate 1680 at that price, or less. I know you realize that you are paying the shipping and Haz-Mat fee, just spread out over a larger number of canisters (and I guess your state does not exclude powder from sales taxes). No company stays in business eating these costs. My nearest "stocking" dealer I won't use after he told me he charges 18% of the sale price to run a firearm through his book for an internet sale*. Not all dealers are as reasonable as yours, and there are few who are as unreasonable as my closest.

* I know some dealers don't like sales from websites like GunBroker, but 18% is outrageous when others are charging a flat fee of $15 or $20 as long as they don't have that firearm in stock. I try and make sure to buy from a dealer just to make sure there is one around for non-C&R firearms.

Just to put things into perspective , Well not realy ! I just found 1 dealer here that can even get AA 1680 and he wants $ 316.00 for 8 lbs !!! Before delivery and has mat !!! I think heel be keeping it ?

Boolit Master

Wow, that's ugly guys!

Another thing I'd recommend, is that you check out some of the close-equivalents which are not identical powders. A good alternative for most applications of 680/1680 would be 2200Data. I believe it's not a ball powder, but it should work well anywhere the 680s are called for. --- One of the biggest problems with surplus and things like 2200 Data, is the spotty availability of a continuous supply. It's a trade-off we have to deal with for the cheaper prices, I'm afraid.

My local dealer gets his powders shipped freight truck direct, so no Haz-Mat BS from the high-priced shipping companies, and actual shipping, spread out over an entire truck-load of stuff is pretty cheap (again, cheaper than the brown truck). He marks things up very reasonably, and I can rarely find something cheaper at Powder Valley. I used to find it cheaper at Jeff's website, but part of my above lament is that Jeff's prices have gone up so much that he's no longer competitive when the shipping and Haz-Mat are added in.

How's Powder Valley compare to your local dealer? I'd be using PVI, and pointing it out to the local dealer...
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Longwood

Do you shoot surplus powder?

How many of us shoot surplus powder?
    Do you use it in a rifle?
    Pistol?
    Which surplus powders have you tried and in what calibers?
    Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    How many of us shoot surplus powder?
    Do you use it in a rifle?
    Pistol?
    Which surplus powders have you tried and in what calibers?
    Thanks
    Not to offend, but a lot of that info is floating around the board and castpics in too many threads to repeat here. I would start by searching on the term "Surplus Powder" then expand the search by entering names of different powders.

I have used too many to remember off the top of my head starting with the early lots of 4831 and 4895 you could buy in paper sacks at the hardware store when I was a kid.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

In Remembrance

Up here, in Maine.........

We call that, "Wicked OLD!"

haha I also remember those days..... makes me JUST as old.

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    I have used too many to remember off the top of my head starting with the early lots of 4831 and 4895 you could buy in paper sacks at the hardware store when I was a kid.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Longwood
    Thanks, I will try searching farther.
    I will also try to narrow it down some.
    Do you sometimes use surplus powders that are now available and are presently for sale.
    Or maybe I should have said.
    Do you sometimes use a surplus powder in big straight case rifle cartridges for fun shooting?
    If so, what is your favorite.
    Have you ever used WC 860? If yes, do you use a little fast powder to help light it?
    Do you recommend a heavy crimp to slow down the exit of the bullet and hopefully improve ignition and powder burn?
    Do you ever shoot big heavy 500+gr bullets using WC860?
    I don't have any other surplus powders so am presently uninterested in other powders.
    Thanks kindly
    Last edited by Longwood; 04-13-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast