WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady LNL progressive...yes or no?

Hornady LNL progressive...yes or no?

I currently use a 35 year old Lyman press. Thinking about moving up to a progressive press for handgun loading. Any thoughts on the Hornady press?

Boolit Master
    Yes. Yes. Yes!

It's fantastic. The auto-index is a huge plus. Also the 5-hole allows more configuration options.

I highly recommend it.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Been using one for a couple of years now and I like it a lot.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Man
    I have had one for several years and like it a lot. Hornady has slowly but surely tweaked and improved the design of the press over the years and it is good quality and fairly user friendly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 468 View Post
    I currently use a 35 year old Lyman press. Thinking about moving up to a progressive press for handgun loading. Any thoughts on the Hornady press?
    It has less leverage then the Dillons, It has a less precise case feeder setup, it has primer issues due to less leverage with some primers.

Get a 550 or 650.

Auto indexing is TOTALLY over rated.

My LnL is on it's way back to Hornady after 4 months of chasing one little issue after another. My 550 worked perfectly from the get go.

Boolit Master

I have had a Pro-7 since they came out and replaced it with a Lock-n-Load. The index hub broke on the first round, I made a better one. Hornady replaced it without problem.
    The price on a new LnL is not much more than I paid for my Pro-7 in the early 1980s.

I'm very happy with mine... particularly since they've fixed the ejection system.

Very flexible and safe. Readily useful for black powder.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Buddy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 468 View Post
    Hell, Yes Yes Yes I also agree the LNL is great.

I have had one for twelve months and if you follow the instructions and / or ask here if you get flumixed all will be well. I watched the CD that accompanied the press and set up was sweet.

I loaded 200 x 357 and 150 x 32 Mag in about an hour and a half yesterday which is a hell of a lot faster than I ever could with my old RCBS Rockchukker or my Lee progressive.
    Peter.

Banned

Good press for someone who cant afford a 650. there allways compared to a 650 and in my opinion the 650 is superior but it should be as it cost enough more that they really shouldnt be compared.

I've had my LNL-AP since it came out- I only wish it had a grease groove in the body and a zerk fitting like the ones currently made.

I've never had a single problem with it at all. I did have a 650 for a while before trying a Hornady at a friends house...I gave it up because I didn't like the way it rotated, opposite from a Hornady. I've still got an old RCBS ammomaster which rotates the wrong way like a Dillion, but I only use it for depriming and sizing before polishing.

I've got a 3gal bucket 3/4 full of spent primers- that's about half of what I've run on the press so far with no problems.

Sounds like a "BUY". Thanks for the feedback.

Boolit Mold
    I've loaded something like 15K on mine in the last 2 years and I've been very pleased with it. I had a few little issues (operator induced) and Hornady shipped me replacement parts at no cost and no questions asked.

I rigged up a home-built version of a strong mount and haven't looked back. Overall I have been very pleased with the press and hope to add a case feeder to it this summer.

I only have several hundred rounds through mine and it has been pretty good. The primer system took some getting used to. I love how quickly i can switch calibers or even parts of calibers so quickly with the die bushings and powder measure inserts. I can have 2 different seating dies for SWC and full wad cutters and I don't need tool heads etc, I just switch out the one die I need to. It is also a great deal cheaper than the dillon.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado4wheel View Post
    It has less leverage then the Dillons, It has a less precise case feeder setup, it has primer issues due to less leverage with some primers.

Get a 550 or 650.

Auto indexing is TOTALLY over rated.

My LnL is on it's way back to Hornady after 4 months of chasing one little issue after another. My 550 worked perfectly from the get go.

Amen - I sent mine back after a month - bought a 650 and never looked back. (I like auto indexing)

Jeff

I've got a L-N-L with serial number 00146. I reload 20-30,000 rounds a year. When something gets worn out or I mess up (like damaging the case retainer spring), Hornady sends replacement parts in just a few days. Since I am located across the Atlantic, that says a lot.

I load .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Auto Rim, 9x19mm and .444 Marlin. This oven bakes them all.

I'm not saying Dillon makes inferior products or have lesser warranties, its just that my L-N-L never gives me reasons to think about "upgrading"...
    I've always found that low quality dies gives a whole lot more problems than the press will ever do. That's why I always only use Redding dies.

I used to be a rabid Dillon fan, but I got over it with the 'help' of their tech support. There's nothing like selling a powder funnel that's .004" undersized to generate customer loyalty and love. To justify it as "but it's always been that way in our catalog" is pure b.s. Unlike the Dillon, my AP has not ruined a precious case yet. The free bullets included with the AP purchase were pure icing on the cake. BTW, why do so many people need Dillon c.s.?
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

I've had my LNL for about 5 months now, and have easily loaded 4000 rounds on it. It was easy to set up, and it has been easy to use.

The only thing I noticed was that it DOES NOT like to feed Winchester primers. It's almost like the primer anvil sticks out of the cup too much.

No big deal though, I just changed primer brands, problem solved.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Had one forever

I've had one forever it seems, if I do regular clean lube and maintenance and don't fix what isn't broke it's been great, I will never ever ever again decide I can setting timing better than the factory setup. I on the North side of 20,000 rounds and never a broken part except spent primer catch bottle. Keep it clean and keep top deck and your plates clean and the stop detents clean of crud. It will let you know if you get lazy on cleaning and care.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Boolit Master
    I had to adjust the primer feed tray last night - first major adjustment in 9000+ rounds. Then proceeded to load 350 200gn Lee SWC .45s. Life is good.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Ordered one yesterday. Should deliver next week. Also have shellplates for .38/.357, .40/10mm on the way...and I think a .45, too....and extra bushibgs. Excited about my new toy.

Anyone ever order anything from Targethunting.com? They are who I ordered the .45 shellplate from...haven't been able to speak to a human to confirm.

S391: I'll likely duplicate your "strong mount".