Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: ruger blackpowder

ruger blackpowder

this is an update for the thread that got so outta hand it got removed...thanks to...well you know!

i had these loaded shells containing 65gr of 2f goex powder...sparked with a large rifle primer...1/8th felt overpowder wad...rem 405gr sp's...rem cases sized and not crimped only nough to remove the slight bell.

50 yd for 6 shots ran 5/8 inch for the verticle and just 1/2 inch for the horozontal. ..ruger #1 45-70.

shot all six without wiping or blowing...just like if hunting...what a super load. this has to be running around the same velocity as the 70gr load id think...feels the same...ill get my chronny up n runnin soon as the weather is warming up here...finally.

oh and clean-up...don asked how this went the last time and it went very easy last time with the 70gr loads and i ran 15 in a row without blowing or wiping the bore...this time it was a little more labor intense...guess the warmer weather allowed it to cling to the barrel better with the 32 degree day instead of the 10 or 12 below the last time....anyway it came clean pretty easy even tho with 4 or 5 wet patchs to clean the majority out then a few damp patchs to finish it up then follow with the borebutter swab for the put-away...still it comes out shiney and sparkling clean and does so easy as pie...ill probably pack it next fall for humpy after i wring it out further at longer ranges. i gotta say that ive been missing the boat all these years with this blackpowder filled cartridge cases. what a hoot

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Ted was there much trouble getting the last rounds chambered?
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Since competition is typically ten rounds on the clock, the Holy Grail is to go ten shots without fouling. On a good day I've had that happen. Most days, it's eight shots and things go South after that.

This is with a 490 grain Lyman Mathews.

With a shallow groove Money (P.J.) I can only get two shots before things gum up.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    Try some .459 lube groove bullets with a good BP lube and the same load or use your SP bullets but put a lube wad over a card wad and your fouling will stay softer and be scraped out by the following shot.

i didnt have any problems chambering any of the rounds...even the 15 round test i tryed before. thay all chambered just great. only drawback was the cleaning seemed like it was caked in the grooves a bit harder but then for a hunting load ill take this with a grain of salt...man i had to pinch myself at the very small one hole group...admitedly at only 50 yds but im bettin that these will hold their own at any range.

i have the 457643 400gr lyman mould with six different loads already loaded for the cast test doung the same thing...id much rather be getting this kinda accuracy with boolits and to this end ill endeaver to proceed. i am using the nasa lube at the moment and couldnt be happier. and yes it does seem to keep the fouling soft and very easy to clean...heck i can run two borebutter patches thru after these and a couple dry ones and the bore is back to the bright shiny bore that i started with...complete cleanin is accomplished with my new heart throb...ballistol. this stuff is incredible.

i also have 50 loads with the 457125 500gr mould with 10 each of different loads that ill be testing for accuracy as well...i just stumbled onto this rem 405gr sp load by accident and it has set the bar pretty high for a hunting load in either my winny 85 or the ruger #1.

more news in about a week when i have more time to shoot...i know huh...what a drag...more smoke n lead thru the bore.

Boolit Master

A pic for reference, for when guys recommend Big Lube bullets. This is a 400 grain 45-70 BL bullet on the left. The right is a 300 grain bullet I had made for 45-60 rifles. I'm lazy and don't do wads.
    Last edited by Springfield; 08-08-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Most of us that want to shoot a tc maxiball do so in our muzzle loaders. We also like being able to hit the broadside of a barn without standing inside with both doors closed.

springfield...wowww man...gotta ask what kind of accuracy these BigLube groove boolits do? that kinda seems to fly in the face of what i have come to understand about bigbore and lead boolits...the not hardly any bore contact due to less lead in contact...but then im just learning here so not trying to insult...just learn more. im definetly interested in your boolit configuration.

Boolit Buddy
    Iv been wondering about them big lube molds that Dastardly makes my self. But I would really like to know how they perform first. To me it looks like the design might have some ballistic issues. Iv seen pictures of bullets looking somewhat like them in a high speed wind tunnel. Lot of strange drag arround the grooves. Then again, I have reason to belive that Dick know what he is doing, so I should just go ahead and buy them.

No one I've ever heard of has got anything close to acceptable accuracy from those bullets beyond 100 yds.
    I have no first hand experience with that modified maxiball, but did test the supposedly superdooper Mklll bullet. It was claimed to be super accurate all the way to 800 yds. The bullets I had for testing could not stay on an f class target at 500 yds and the only one that did get on target did so sideways.
    Moved back to 270 yds and fully half of those bullets were smaking the target sideways at that distance.

wowww here it is 11 already....i went out to shoot and the range is still chocked with snow so home i came to try my test loads in the yard.

got kinda confused tho and did most of the tests in the winchester 85 with a 6 to 18x leo mounted. my goodness does this rifle want to shoot...she is a peach...money well spent. i would shoot 5 of a load then wipe the bore with two wet followed with two dry patchs...this bore is making it dificult to move on to any other gun...it just spoils me.

the 420grain boolits lubed with nasa and loaded in rem cases ,,,primed with cci lr,,,1/8th felt overpowder wad,,,not sized just finger loaded boolits to just touch the lands.......[note here...my ruger and this winny have close to the same chamber meaning that the boolit needs to be loaded about the same length to touch the lands...weird huh].

the 420 grain boolits with 65 and 66 as well as the 69 and 70 grain loads were spotty coming in with around an inch groups...BUT the 67 and 68 grain loads shine like no other. the 68gr loads would group...[guess this could be called a group] into the same small hole for three [the first three] then open up to a 1/2 by 5/8 group with the following two to complete the five round string. this is with the 2f powder.

the 520grain boolits [lyman 457125] ranged just about exactly as those 420grainers did. same likes for the same 2f powder. only diff is that i loaded 65 and 70 gr loads skipping the 66,67.68,and 69 gr loads. cant remember why i skipped these but i did. no matter tho as these ran into a small problem in that they got dificult to chamber after two rounds shot...had to shove pretty hard to chamber them with this nose rider so i suppose that the countour of the nose is getting stuck in the fouling rite at the first lands and making it harder to chamber them. the accuracy was outstanding tho with these liking the 70gr loads and doing the same as the 420gr did with the first three going into the exact same hole...i mean exact...thought id missed the target with them but the other 2 opened it just enough to see that they were all going thru the same hole.

then the big mistake happened. i got the ruger out for some shooting and ran some 60gr bp loads thru her and what a dismal experience. not only did she spray the target with 1.5 to 2 inch groups but she coked up the chamber badly and i had to use three wet and two dry patchs to get it cleaned up. not enough preassure im thinkin......then the mistake happened;

had some OTHER powder loads with those OTHER kinda bullets and shot them thru the ruger...those shot very well with groups being in line with my bp loads. one hole groups being the norm with me doing my part. not a single hitch with loading them and they will shoot the same hole as long as i stay tuned with the trigger.......got to wondering what all the fuss was about this bp thing they went so smooth.

then i cleaned both guns and put em away and started soaking the bp cartridges in my milk jug with the dawn soap and went inside to contemplat the universe for awhile. promply fell asleep tho so the universe had to wait. im going back out to fiddle with the crusty cases this morning and see if i cant get my mind rite again...dang smokless anyway...dang jacketed bullets too. i know that as soon as i fondle the winchester and the sharps tho that it will all wash away and ill be set with this newest habit again.......by the by....ive got a bid in on a browning bpcr with the browning soule sites front n rear so maybe this will come wagging its tail home to me ...hopefully...my winchester hiwall has me in love everytime i handle it...what a sweety...kinda ashamed to say that the sharps just hangs out recently due to that durn upstart winny.

kinda windy but there is the update.