Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Copper tubing jacket and bullet from BTSniper 257 dies!

Vendor Sponsor

Copper tubing jacket and bullet from BTSniper 257 dies!

Finishing up one of the first customer sets of cusutom BTSniper swage dies.

Here we have a .257 set that was one of my original 12 test dies to go off to heat treat. They came back in great shape and turned out some great looking bullets. I had posted a pick of a bullet this die made a while back from a 22 mag case but it was determened that a stronger bullet was need so off I went to perfect a copper tubing jacket die and a couple days later here you go!

These jackets where made from nothing more then a roll of standard hardware store 1/4" copper tubing. Any uneveness in the jacket walls or not being straight was solved with the copper jacket swage die.

These bullets and jackets where formed in a Lee and RCBS press with nothing more then a light hammer used to eject both the jackets and the formed bullets. Results are repeatable and consistant. Dies where very easy to use and worked as well as I could expect them to. Jacket weights where very consistant as long as you did your part to make decent cuts. Cores where simply cut from a roll of lead then weighed and if needed lead shavings where added to make bullets all weight 110 grains +or- .5 grains or less.

These first few test bullets will be heading off to customer for comment and feed back, hopefully even some decent range results. Should make far a pretty good hunting bullet, jacket walls where about .030 thick!

With this set up the core seat die of the .257 set doubles for the copper tube jacket making die.

These jackets will work, as is, for the .257 since all that is needed after it is formed is to simply seat the core. They should work too, as is, for .264 jackets and with a reducing die .243 jackets as well maybe!!

Unless anyone can talk me out of it I plan to make this copper tube jacket forming die avialble for order right quick! I got everything I need to put together at least 25 of them for anyone interested and would be able to deliver within about 6-8 weeks. Yes I will attempt larger tubbing jacket dies for the larger sizes of copper tube avialble and post results when I can but for now the .250 will be avialble soon.

Left to right, cut tube, formed jacket, formed bullet and nose of bullet

A .308 jacket, cut 1/4 copper tube, formed jacket, and bullet profiles!

Formed jackets on left with cut tubes on right.

110 grain .257 bullets ready to load!

Here is a look at the 2 die set for the 257 with the combination core seat die and copper tube jacket forming die. Pic is missing a couple base punches but this is what my custom die sets will look like that I will have to offer
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 03-27-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy

Looking Fine!

BT,

Those are looking mighty fine. To my eyes, those dies, jackets and finished projectiles are all works of art.
    You sir have a real talent!

Bob

Boolit Master
    I have two questions. First, is this tubing thin enough or ductile enough to expand on impact? Second, can the finished bullets be made more pointy?

It seems like that large flat tip would decrease the ballistic coefficient of the bullet when compared to something like the way a Sierra Match King is pointed. I realize that the SMK is intended for shooting paper, rather than critters, but I'd wager probably 100 times the number of bullets are shot at paper as what get fired in hunting.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    .030" soft copper tubing will indeed expand on deer sized game. I have done it myself, they about double in caliber for expansion, sometimes much more.

With straight walled jackets such as tubing jackets, you can only close the tip until the jacket walls contact eachother. In this case .030 +.030 = .060". This would be the smallest you could take the tip down unless you thined the mouth of the jacket first. If you close it too much for the velocity of you cartridge, it won't expand very well.

Boolit Master
    Very nice works a usual. 243 maybe????
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Vendor Sponsor

Yes the nose is a bit bigger then normal but that's what I was going for with this one. It is .125. I can go down to .093. Reason I started with .125 is for easier extraction of the bullet from the die. Anyone that has stuck a bullet in a point forming die knows what a aggravation that can be. Next 257 or .243 die I make will have the smaller nose. You can see the smaller nose on my 308 bullet projects.

Yes a 243 is in the works

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 03-27-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    I think they look great! I really like the base profile, like a small boatail. What are you using to close the end of the tubing? In Corbin's set up it takes a few strokes of the press to finish a jacket, but it sounds like you might be doing it in less. Any pictures of your process?

Vendor Sponsor

2 steps. 1. bring it together to a point. 2. flatten the base then it's ready to seat core.

Yes the mini boat tail is pretty cool. Funny thing is the pics above was as "flat" as I could get them, at the moment anyway, maybe if I redesign the punchs a bit but I don't think there is any need to. They look a bit like the Nolser BTs. I like it too. I'll have to section one see what it looks like from the inside.

If I squished it less in the base flattening step it could actually have more of a BT.

BTSniper
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 03-27-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Banned
    Please tell me a 308 version is in the works.....

Vendor Sponsor

I actually looked up 5/16th copper tubing tuday. Seems it is not difficult to obtain. Yes I can make a tubing jacket die for .312 then provide a sizing die to take it down to .303ish for use in the 308s. Then a core seat die would finish the job.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    I actually looked up 5/16th copper tubing tuday. Seems it is not difficult to obtain. Yes I can make a tubing jacket die for .312 then provide a sizing die to take it down to .303ish for use in the 308s. Then a core seat die would finish the job.

BT
    You Rock. Tell me when and how much. And toss in a 308 swage die as well LOL

Boolit Master

BT,

I think you could go one step further and make a simple Lead tip former punch for the 1 step die, make it into a 2 or thress step 1 die. You would make the tip cavity in the end of the punch and use it as a seperate step to just kiss the lead tip to form it. You might be able to do the same thing with the copper jacket if it is annealed.

You will just have to try it out to see. Should be easy enough for you to try out. Your double lock nuts ont eh step would hel for repeat settign son die change over.

You could call it a JT top punch! No really, JT for Jacket Tip former punch not for my benefit.

Boolit Buddy
    need to sort a trim die for them, too hard to get consistant weights/lengths from cutting

Is making them for the bigger presses ie Corbin H - on the cards?

Just wondering, how does the base get closed up so nice like that? (solid base?)

or am I seeing smooth lead base?

Boolit Grand Master

Oh, WOW! I definitely will be in the market, just have to buy a barrel and get a stock cut first! Then get it all put together.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    Just wondering, how does the base get closed up so nice like that? (solid base?)

or am I seeing smooth lead base?

It is the copper tube closed in on it's self that you see. No lead is exposed. It was a long process for me getting this to work but seems to be doing pretty good so far. Same concept Corbin uses but slightly altered a bit to simplify the process in my opinion.

Basicly the end of the tube is brought together in a die to form a point. Then it is swaged in a die with a flat punch to flatten the point flat forming the base.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    Any plans to make a trim die for the jackets?

When can these be ordered and how much?
    Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

www.ApacheGunWorks.com

Boolit Master
    If you make a length stop on a chop saw, you can get the tube length and weight pretty close. Within .5 grains. I'm guessing that BT is doing something like that now for this prototype.

Boolit Buddy
    If a trim die is added, then you basically have a $650-1050 Corbin Jacket making dies with NO year + wait and having to deal with a 5 page essay from David trying to justify his demented business plan.
    'Apparently' they are still doing 2009 orders, with 600+ orders to go, so to get your stuff done now you have to pay double blah blah blah - HIRE ANOTHER EMPLOYEE!!!!

I for one would be buying a couple of sets if there is a trim - hell - I'll pay more to get the length/diameter etc I require as it will a 'custom job'

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast