RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: John Ross/PC .500 Magnum Group Buy (Gun, not mold)

Boolit Buddy
    One set should be fine but you may have to adjust your seating die for different bullets..... I keep dummy rounds for each of the bullets I load (Seated w/ no powder or primer) to quickly set my seating die..... When setting up I crank the seating die adjustment out, raise the dummy for the bullet I'm loading in the press and then crank the seating die adjustment down until it meets resistance.....

BTW, I load with Lee dies too......

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalLove View Post
    Noob question: when loading different size bullets, Am I required to adjust the die? If so, should I buy more than 1 set?

Boolit Buddy
    Noob question: when loading different size bullets, Am I required to adjust the die? If so, should I buy more than 1 set?
    The 500 is an easy round to load for, but still be very careful out there as a mistake could be quite damaging/deadly.

Make sure you understand each step in the reloading process.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by LowPE View Post
    The 500 is an easy round to load for, but still be very careful out there as a mistake could be quite damaging/deadly.

Make sure you understand each step in the reloading process.
    Cool, thanks for the heads up. Do I need to buy more than 1 set of die if I'm loading 325 grain then 700 grain? or 1 die can do the job for different grain size in 1 session?

Banned
    Two pre-set die sets will make it easier.

One set would need adjustment from one bullet size to the other as the seating would prolly be different.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Two pre-set die sets will make it easier.

One set would need adjustment from one bullet size to the other as the seating would prolly be different.
    Thanks, that answers the question =]

Out of curiosity, has anyone greased up a boolit w/ SPG and tried a case full of BlacK?

Boolit Bub
    someone told me when reloading for this gun, I need gas checks because the heat and pressure will melt and cause leading. I didn't know what a gas check was but i did some reading and see how it makes some sense. Can I have some of your expertise on reloading for this particular gun? are gas checks needed?

Boolit Mold
    someone told me when reloading for this gun, I need gas checks because the heat and pressure will melt and cause leading. I didn't know what a gas check was but i did some reading and see how it makes some sense. Can I have some of your expertise on reloading for this particular gun? are gas checks needed?
    Depends on the load. If you are driving the bullet to over 1500 fps, gas check is highly recommended.
    Lee

Boolit Mold
    John,
    I haven't received my gun since it got shipped out last Thursday. Any update info will be appreciated
    thanks,
    Lee

Boolit Bub
    Hi all, just wanted to update. Picked up my guns Saturday night, I ended up doing dros for 2 SW 500 at the same time. Of course one being JR's 5" and the other is the 4" Both gun looked and felt great, JR's gun came in excellent condition, seemed like these babies have been stored for awhile, there was some rust in the engraving on serial numbers but it wiped right off. The gun feels fantastic in my hand and I got some ammo ready to test it out this week. Anyone in Southern California haven't received your gun are welcome to try it out with me, I'm in OC and most likely will be going to Riverside. Also if anyone have some brass and bullets for sale, please let me know. I'm looking to get started on reloading so I can have more experience with different loads. Thanks John =]

Nguyen

Boolit Mold
    S0cal, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, hoping it will arrive soon...I live in northeast LA. Will love to try out the gun, but have very hectic schedule all week long. Maybe one of these weekends if you happen to be going to the range, will appreciate the opportunity to let me try it out.
    thanks,
    Lee

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bore View Post
    S0cal, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, hoping it will arrive soon...I live in northeast LA. Will love to try out the gun, but have very hectic schedule all week long. Maybe one of these weekends if you happen to be going to the range, will appreciate the opportunity to let me try it out.
    thanks,
    Lee
    Hi Lee,
    I'm usually off Sundays myself, but lately we lost a few guys at work so I've been doing a lot of OT my self to make up the coverage for May and most like through out June but also loosing another guy end of June haha. Northeast LA, Burrow Canyon would be reasonable for both of us to meet up. I will let you know. =]

Nguyen

Boolit Buddy
    Hi John,

No sign of the gun yet.... Shipped on the 19th and USPS quotes 3 to 5 days normal shipping so am starting to think that it's either lost or held up somewhere.....

When you get a minute would appreciate it if you could PM me the tracking number or check and give me an update....

Thanks!

Bob J
    Last edited by Bob J; 05-31-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hey, anyone hear from John recently ? He wasn't caught up in any of that tornado action was he?

Banned
    ^^^ Thats what I'm thinking. Most of the damage was in the Joplin area where he may have relatives or be volunteering aid.

I'm sure he will be around eventually.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    Hi John,

No sign of the gun yet.... Shipped on the 19th and USPS quotes 3 to 5 days normal shipping so am starting to think that it's either lost or held up somewhere.....

When you get a minute would appreciate it if you could PM me the tracking number or check and give me an update....

Thanks!

Bob J
    He ships USPS and I don't think there is a tracking number like UPS. It is also not shipped overnight, and then there are tornadoes, printers, relatives, his health concerns and then he is also a one man shop.

I waited -- and it is worth the wait.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LowPE View Post
    He ships USPS and I don't think there is a tracking number like UPS. It is also not shipped overnight, and then there are tornadoes, printers, relatives, his health concerns and then he is also a one man shop.

I waited -- and it is worth the wait.
    Thanks! I ship USPS all the time and always do at least delivery confirmation and insurance.... Hopefully he did the same but if he didn't and the gun gets "lost" then this is going to get real interesting real fast ....

I know he's a one man shop and has a lot of other stuff going on in his life and all but seriously this has been pretty sloppy... I know the money ($1300 = 13 moulds!) is not a lot for some folks but it is for me and I honestly was pretty disappointed that there hasn't been a little better communication as to status and all. This is vastly smaller than most group buys and it's not like some of the folks that have to deal with production issues as well as take orders and coordinate shipping etc. My understanding is that all the guns were in stock and all that is necessary is get the money, get the FFL and ship. Seems like John would be interested in getting the guns out (in a secure traceable manner) and getting on with all of his cool stuff instead of having to deal with old fuds like me....

As far as USPS being slow I sent a pair or molds out to Erik in Oregon for repair/modification just last week and got them back in 5 days.... Am going on 3 weeks now since John confirmed that mine shipped.... In the meantime Murphy lives and stuff happens and the probability that it is "lost" grows by the day....

I don't mind waiting and am a seasoned veteran of numerous group buys here as well as GC maker orders with Pat so understand patience is the order of the day.... I also understand that John has a life and other more pressing things that he needs to deal with but really really hope my gun comes in soon....

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    Thanks! I ship USPS all the time and always do at least delivery confirmation and insurance.... Hopefully he did the same but if he didn't and the gun gets "lost" then this is going to get real interesting real fast ....

I know he's a one man shop and has a lot of other stuff going on in his life and all but seriously this has been pretty sloppy... I know the money ($1300 = 13 moulds!) is not a lot for some folks but it is for me and I honestly was pretty disappointed that there hasn't been a little better communication as to status and all. This is vastly smaller than most group buys and it's not like some of the folks that have to deal with production issues as well as take orders and coordinate shipping etc. My understanding is that all the guns were in stock and all that is necessary is get the money, get the FFL and ship. Seems like John would be interested in getting the guns out (in a secure traceable manner) and getting on with all of his cool stuff instead of having to deal with old fuds like me....

As far as USPS being slow I sent a pair or molds out to Erik in Oregon for repair/modification just last week and got them back in 5 days.... Am going on 3 weeks now since John confirmed that mine shipped.... In the meantime Murphy lives and stuff happens and the probability that it is "lost" grows by the day....

I don't mind waiting and am a seasoned veteran of numerous group buys here as well as GC maker orders with Pat so understand patience is the order of the day.... I also understand that John has a life and other more pressing things that he needs to deal with but really really hope my gun comes in soon....
    I feel you Bob. We're on the same boat. I remember john posted on the thread that our guns were going to ship on the 19th, but maybe something came up and the guns didn't get shipped that day. Really hoping the guns just haven't shipped yet and are not lost in the mail.
    Lee

Boolit Master
    I hear you guys, my check cleared on the 18th.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't disagree with you.

Once before JR mentioned shipping guns and it didn't happen -- so my guess is that it fell thru the cracks for whatever reason unless of course a tornado sucked it up and sent it to gun heaven. Ugly thought there.

As I waited for my gun -- I checked the board daily, sometimes more, and came up with all kinds of ugly reasons why the gun hadn't shipped. The waiting definitely does suck.

Think good thoughts and wait. What else can you do?

FYI JR was last on: Last Activity: 05-30-2011 03:44 PM
    Last edited by LowPE; 06-03-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast