Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Lee dies

I like them and think they're a good value. Probably 30-40% of my dies are LEE. They're not my favorite, and sometimes I mix a set, (LEE .30WCF sizer and a Lyman seater). I also like the "O" ring locking collar better than the set screw type.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Banned
    I have many sets of Lee dies and have been happy with them.

I did wear out the expander bell on a de-capping pin after 3000 rounds but traced the problem to my own loading method since changed. Polishing compound in tumbling media adhered to the inside of case necks and wore out the expander bell to the point that expansion was inadequate for seating bullets.

I got a new pin and now inside neck brush before sizing, 4000 rounds and no problem.

Lee Collet Neck Sizing dies are wonderful after adjusting properly. Adjustment is very narrow and your first one won't be easy to get adjusted correctly. It is well worth the effort to learn to adjust them.

Gary

Boolit Master

Thank you all for your replies and given that I doubt I'll ever load a lot of 9mm I'll give the Lee's a try.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a fairly new reloader. I've been collecting some stuff for a few years, but due to previous supply issues I didn't get started until we moved last summer.

I have one set of dies that is RCBS, for .45-70, which I haven't used yet.

I have loaded about 400 rounds of .44 special and coming up on 2000 rounds of .38 special. I have a set of .32acp dies, but they won't see full use until I get bullets set up.

I do not, yet, cast. With that caveat, using the mbc cast boolits, copper plated SWCs in .38, and a few FMJ trials, I've had no issues with them.

Setup takes a bit of time to dial in properly, but between the o ring lock and the breech lock challenger bushings, once set, everything is cake.

I have yet to actually use the factory crimp die, I likely will once I turn up a .357 or .44 levergun, but for revolvers there's never been an issue.

Yeah, some of the finish work is less than aesthetically perfect, but I have no issues with performance. All my loads are very consistent in weight, OAL, and grouping.

As I'm using single stage, my method of marking charged shells is to hand seat a cast boolit in them, they pop right in, straight and easy, for the length of the flare, and the seating operation does a light crimp in the seating groove just fine.
    Last edited by koyote; 03-26-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: speeeling ishoe

Buy a set, then you will have an opinion also.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

I have Lee dies in 7.65 Par and 44 Russian. The only things I don't like are the locking rings. Otherwise they work just as well as anyone's dies.

I am like everyone else and use a lot of lee dies. I have two sets of hornday and hate them. Also have two sets of Redding dies but only because one is a deluxe three die set and the other is for 45-70. The lee 45-70 sized my brass to minium specs and when you seated the bullet it looked like a 6 inch snake that ate a softball. They functioned fine but I could not stand that look.
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Boolit Master
    Like many others I don't like their lock rings but the dies work fine.
    I own Dies from most of the manufacturers and prefer some features of other brands better, but their pistol dies are good and I like their FL rifle size dies. Just my OPINION.

Boolit Master

I like the Lee powder through expander die.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

My first set of reloading dies where "Lee RGB" dies in 308, they are my first choice. I will buy other brands if it is all that is available on the shelf or I feel I'm getting a good deal on E-Bay. I do have the following but like I mentioned, Lee is preferred.

Lee
    RCBS
    Lyman
    C-H
    Bair Cub
    Reloading cartridges since 1992.

I love their "4th" die....taper crimp/resizing. I do NOT like the feel of their other dies.

I have had no problem with Lee dies that wasn't my stupid fault. Of course, the same can be said for the RCBS, CH and Pacific dies that I own. The Lee collet neck die is a great design and I use them for most of my rifles. IMHO, nothing better for extended case life and chamber fit.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Mold
    I have 4 sets of Lee dies, .38spl., 357, 380auto and 9m. Not the first issue with them. The 38 dies date back to 1991. All others have been added in the past 3 years.
    1 set of Lyman dies for a 30 carbine. Waiting for son to buy powder to reload 500 rds. He bought the set at a gun show after talking the guy down to 25.00

I load ALL mu bottle neck brass with a Lee collet die. Best accuracy I have ever got.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

I had a real problem with the LEE FCD. It would size down my boolits. I knocked out the bottom carbide sizer ring and it crimps great now. I also use a Lyman M die for expanding the case. Works great for my .357 rounds.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

They say that you get what you pay for, and that is true with Lee dies, too. I have owned and used both Lee and RCBS dies. I like the RCBS much better, infact, they are the only dies that I still have and use.

1. I hate the Lee O-Ring design locking ring. Apparently others like it, but I prefer to set my dies up, lock them in place with a set screw and never mess with them again, unless I switch presses.

2. I also prefer the knurled body. It helps me turn the dies in tight and more, importantly, back the dies out of the press without a wrench. I think it looks better, too.

3. The aluminum seating die adjustment knobs work loose over time and are not lockable, they are locked with just O-ring friction, another flaw that needs to be re-engineered.

4. The Lee carbide dies that I have used, always scratched my cases, but then again they were better at ironing out the buldge which implies that they were closer to new brass specs than the RCBS.

Having said all of that, I will say, if you are tight for cash and want to reload, the Lee dies will get the job done and done fairly well. I'd rather reload with Lee dies than not reload at all. Lee products have a way of stretching a dollar way beyond the other brands. They certainly have their market nitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado4wheel View Post

Agree 100% that they are a great value.
    I'm glad that you agree with one thing! Others here have agreed with each and every point that I made. I guess some people love Lee dies and will defend them to their death, I guess some people, like me, don't.

FYI: I am relatively new on this website, but I have been reloading and casting bullets since 1978. I know what works, I know what I like and most importantly, I answered the OP's question. He can and should do what he wants to, this is all just MY opinion, but it is based on experience, just like yours and others here.
    Last edited by Defcon-One; 04-07-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Additional comments!

Boolit Buddy
    I've been very happy with my Lee pistol and rifle dies. I do own other brands as well. When I start shooting far enough or tight enough that the Lee dies are my limiting factor I will try competition Rifle dies from the other makers. Till then the Lee's are working just as well as my other brands.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Defcon-One View Post
    They say that you get what you pay for, and that is true with Lee dies, too. I have owned and used both Lee and RCBS dies. I like the RCBS much better, infact, they are the only dies that I still have and use.

1. I hate the Lee O-Ring design locking ring. Apparently others like it, but I prefer to set my dies up, lock them in place with a set screw and never mess with them again, unless I switch presses.

Loading on a progressive that is a non-issue. Get the Dillon Lock rings or flip the Lee Rings over and take the o-ring off. Total non-issue unless you want a locking ring for a single stage.

2. I also prefer the knurled body. It helps me turn the dies in tight and more, importantly, back the dies out of the press without a wrench. I think it looks better, too.

Another non-issue on a progressive. They never get readjusted.

3. The aluminum seating die adjustment knobs work loose over time and are not lockable, they are locked with just O-ring friction, another flaw that needs to be re-engineered.

Mine never has. I really like it. I use a pin/marker to mark the adjuster and die and I can take it apart and set it to the same OAL again very easily. If you mark it you would know if it's coming loose. Degrease it and I bet it never moves.

4. The Lee carbide dies that I have used, always scratched my cases, but then again they were better at ironing out the buldge which implies that they were closer to new brass specs than the RCBS.

Then the die was defective. Call Lee and get it replaced. Mine never scratch my brass. Anyone can make a defective die. Lee makes a excellent sizer. I would only sell it for double the price. It works that good.

Having said all of that, I will say, if you are tight for cash and want to reload, the Lee dies will get the job done and done fairly well. I'd rather reload with Lee dies than not reload at all. Lee products have a way of stretching a dollar way beyond the other brands. They certainly have their market nitch.

Agree 100% that they are a great value.
    Last edited by Colorado4wheel; 03-31-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Lee dies are excellent products, especially thier carbide pistol dies. In the early 80's they were the first readily available pistol dies to have the de-capper in the sizer dies. This made a tremendous difference in reloading speed and made the early progressives useable (Read Dillon 450). Their 9mm carbide die set the standard for case dimesnion too. No belt was left and they gaged perfectly. Hate the lock rings though. Too mushy for me. Whoever posted the tip to turn them upside down is a genius. Now I can use the drawer full of them for something rather than trading around with my other dies. I think their rifle sizing dies are excellent and match any other maker. They are just a lot cheaper. Seaters are ok, don't like them on a progressive though, I'm always afraid they'll get out of adjustment, but there is a good tip here about that too. FCD are okay with jacketed most of the time, not so good with lead they tend to size the bullet. After all the work to get a boolit just right you don't need a crimp die changing everything.

All my die sets are from Lee, and all of them work just fine. My sets are9mm, .38/357, .44 Spl/Mag, and .45 LC. All resizing dies have the carbide ring.

Jeff Quinn over at www.gunblast.com did some tests of IMR Trail Boss a few years ago. He has a picture of his Dillon 550 with what looks like a set of Lee dies on it (he's using the Auto-Disk Powder Measure). I've seen this combination more than once. Seems several out there like the sturdiness of the 550 combined with the functionality/value of the Lee dies.

So sure, give a set a spin.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast