Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Simple pot size question

Boolit Man

4 Quart Smelting Pot

Is a 4 quart dutch oven big enough for smelting or will I wish I went bigger?
    Last edited by t_dickinson; 03-24-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

How big is your burner and how much do you have to smelt?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Man

I was going to use a 1000w electric burner and in the last 2 weeks I've collected almost 800lbs of lead and just got a 5 gallon bucket of 60/40 solder from a radiator shop for $10.

I was able to get 4 continuus sources for WW and 1 for the solder. I can also get all the indoor lead from my club.

I do have a single burner that works with propane but would rather use the hot plate.

So far this has been almost too easy.

Bigger.

Boolit Man

How big?

Boolit Grand Master

It'll work just depends on what you want. I used a 3qt one for allot of years bu I didn't have 800# to do at least not all at once. A bigger pot will do more of coarse but take longer to melt if yoi want to fill the pot.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Talking

I would say bigger for smelting raw materials into larger ingots and marking the ingots as to what they are for alloying in the smaller pot. I use a 11qt Dutch oven to make 20lb ingots that fit into an 8qt Dutch oven for alloying and then pour the alloy into ingots that fit into my casting pots.

Boolit Master

Remember that you're talking about a lot of weight with even 4 quarts of molten metal. Four quarts will weigh about 125 pounds. Be sure your burner stand is up to the task when it's hot, especially if you go bigger. Steel weakens rapidly as it gets to even 200 degrees. You will have to use propane if you go bigger and may not be happy with electric heat even at 4 quarts. It will take a while to melt that much with the hot plate.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master in Heavens Range. man.electric's Avatar
    I agree with David about using propane for speed. With 800 pounds to run you might even want to look at a turkey fryer burner for speed as my old single burner was horribly slow and I am impatient sometimes.

Boolit Master
    Where abouts do you live t_dickinson?

I use a 6 qt pot, it holds about half of a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights at a tim and can easily hold 100 lbs of melted alloy at a time.

Boolit Master
    If you're gonna only do this once a year and make it all day then you're OK now. If you're gonna smelt 800 lbs regular and want to be quick about it, get a propane burner and a bigger smelting pot of some sort. And get a lotta ingot molds. Of course use all the safety measures, gloves, face shield, heavy pants and preferably a welders apron, safety boots etc... Don't get in too much of a hurry. Happy days, 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by selmerfan View Post
    Where abouts do you live t_dickinson?
    I live in NH.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Boolit Master

I have a 6 qt smelting pot and use a propane turkey fryer for heat ! the pot will hold at least 100 lbs of alloy and still be a few inches from the top.
    I would recommend propane over electric ! the cost would be less as you can smelt at least 1,500 + of WW ect from 1- 20 lb tank. in my area a refill cost $18.50

Boolit Master

Your 4 quart pot holds ~95# of lead plumb full. Prob'ly 70-75 # with stirin' room. I cast with a 2 quart pot with about 30# actual weight in the pot and use propane Never tried usin' the current bush but think you'd be best off with propane even with the 4 quart pot. I smelt using a cut down propane tank and a turkey fryer. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    Your 4 quart pot holds ~95# of lead plumb full. Prob'ly 70-75 # with stirin' room. I cast with a 2 quart pot with about 30# actual weight in the pot and use propane Never tried usin' the current bush but think you'd be best off with propane even with the 4 quart pot. I smelt using a cut down propane tank and a turkey fryer. Regards, Woody
    +1000 on that setup! I use the same and it work fast and well.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Grand Master

What is the safest way to cut an used propane cylinder. I have sawzall, jig saw, and torch. I'd prefer not to find out the wrong by accident.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range. man.electric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    What is the safest way to cut an used propane cylinder. I have sawzall, jig saw, and torch. I'd prefer not to find out the wrong by accident.
    Make sure it is empty and remove the valve. Fill with water, drain and repeat several times before cutting with whatever method you want to use. I actually filled mine with sand and used a few cut off wheels to rip it open. Worked fine and no boom.