MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Huntington HDS Compac Tool instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    Mine is different than the one posted. Let me know if you want it. I attempted to post the pictures, above, but for some reason they don't show up.

My sheet must post date the one you have, as my press came with the base plate. I presume it is OEM from Huntington.

I sent you a PM.

Boolit Master
    Replied with photos. Thanks
    NRA Endowment Life Member

I finally got the jpgs AZ Pete sent me of his trifold instruction sans converted into a pdf and up on the server.

Here you go: Huntington HDS Compac Trifold pdf

Thanks AZ Pete!

Boolit Bub
    I have used the Compact press since it was known as the Decker press. When Harold Decker passed away, Fred Huntington offered His widow a deal in exchange for the press. He added some modifications, but both are mechanically the same. I have used my Decker press for nearly 40 yrs. I have used both the Decker and the Lee hand press and I consider the Decker to be the better hand press. For camping, hunting, and vacation, the Decker is the best. I also have a Compact press. Spend many evenings watch TV and using the Decker to resize cases. Enjoy your Compact press.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I spent many hours building one from pics and dimensions provided by a nice member of this board because I thought they cost $300. After I spent at least a week machining the parts I found out they retail for about $120. I could have worked a minimum wage job and bought one, but it would not have been as nice and tight or pretty as mine!
    Do you still have yours? I'm asking because I just bought one from a seller on eBay, and this one is NOT one of the ones made by Huntington. First off, other than the two handles which are made of aluminium, this is all made from steel. The top where the die mounts, and the ram where the shell holder mounts is very nicely finished with a good blued finish. Secondly, the rods end in the bottom part, they don't extend below it, and have nuts on them like the Huntington ones do. If this isn't the one you made, I wonder if it's one of the few that Idaho Sharpshooter's friend John made? In either case, I'm very happy, even if I over paid for it, this quality is worth every penny! On one of the arms it has hand engraved into it the date 4-2-73, and what I'm assuming is a name 'Ole' on the side of the same arm. I would love to find out some history on this press if I can. Here's a picture of it:

With this press, I have now found a use for the Lee Speed Die I bought a while ago. When I first got it, I thought it was interesting, certainly a very novel idea, but didn't really see how it was much faster than using a 3 die set. Using this press, (or even the Lee hand press for that matter) I can leave the main die body screwed into the press, and the 3 removable parts of it (the sizer, expander, and boolit seater) are all small enough that I can put them in a shirt pocket while not using them, and still have room for my cigarettes, and lighter!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master

Still have mine, I don't plan on letting it go any time soon. It is sitting in a nice mahogany box by my loading bench. One day, if I find a safe place to shoot rifles, I plan to take it with me to work up loads at on the range.
    I used aluminum for the handles, the sliding block and the fixed block.
    1973 was a long time ago, nice piece, what did you give for it?

Boolit Master

I probably paid too much, but it looked as well made as it is, so I paid $94.50 for it. I realize I could have bought a couple of Lee hand presses, and a set of dies for that money, but when I see something I want, I can be stupid sometimes! I also bought a few moulds, so my budget for stuff is done for the month! Even without the bolts on the bottom of the press, I'm still able to use a small clamp and clamp it down to my desk if I don't want to use it hand held. I just cast some Lee 200gr TL 45's and I'm going to see how this press does using a Lee push thru sizer. I don't think it'll be too much strain, I'm sizing to .452 and the boolits are dropping at .453 to .454.
    - MikeS

Boolit Master

Fair price with the steel parts. I am wondering when the Hunnington press first was made if that one has a 1973 date stamped on it.

Huntington actually purchased rights from the original maker's widow as I recall - you have one of those. I'll see if I can jog my memory

Harold Decker out of San Gabriel CA was the inventor of the pocket reloading press Huntington's now makes

Reading is fun-demented - if I had just read BWelch47's post 5 ahead of mine I wouldn't have had to go back to my old guns digest - Ah, Well
    Last edited by Artful; 07-08-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Boolit Master

Art:

I don't think this is one of his, or if it is, it's different than the one he got a patent on. His press (well, at least the drawings in the patent) show that the rods go straight thru the bottom, and are bolted in place. Mine the rods don't go all the way thru. Also, mine has no means of priming, there's no hole for the priming rod to mount to either. Interestingly, the date that's hand engraved on one of the arms on mine is almost a month earlier than when he was granted his patent. Mine is also ever so slightly smaller than the Huntington Compac, in their docs they say it's 9x3.5x1.75 and weighs 1lb 13oz. Mine is 8.75x3x1.25 (or 1" if you don't count the bolt heads), and weighs 2lb 3oz.

If this is one of Harold Decker's presses, that would be cool. As I'm looking at it now, I'm starting to think either this is NOS (New Old Stock), or a very well refinishing, as when I got it there were no wear marks on any of the steel parts, but from simply inserting a shell holder a couple of times, and installing and removing a couple of dies I can now see some wear to the blueing! Almost makes me sorry I bought it, as I will be using it, and if it has any significant collector value I would ruin that by using it!
    - MikeS

Boolit Bub
    In order to really use one of these there is a steel plate that uses existing bolts that attaches this to a board or bench top...........Using it free hand so to speak creates a shortage of hands trying to get a charged case with bullet up into the seating die with 2 hands and not spilling powder is a pain...........Also one has to be careful not to pinch fingers between the handles and
    upright bars holding the die.........I too thought this would be cool to use as a light portable press only ending up with some serious issues..........I sold mine and bought a Harrell press
    and havn't regretted the decision once..........

Boolit Master

When I reload, I always use Lyman M dies, or their equivalents, and I always push the boolit into the case a bit, so I can handle the cartridge as a single unit even before the boolit is fully seated. I saw the template for the mounting plate in one of the docs posted here, but I would have a problem with my press, it doesn't have the bolts that plate mounts to! I did find that I could clamp it to a table with a small clamp, as mine also doesn't have the priming arm, so the space between the 2 upright arms is open to put a clamp there.
    - MikeS

I don't use the mounting plate when I use mine - you just have to learn technique ;^)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I don't use the mounting plate when I use mine - you just have to learn technique ;^)
    +1 If I wanted a bench mounted press, there are any number of them to choose from!
    - MikeS

I had that on my watch list, when I saw what it had close for I figured somebody really wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Mine came with the plate but, I've yet to use it.

Easy enough to use without it, might depend on what your reloading with it too I suppose.

I use it for 45 Colt, big easy to grab on to, I squish the bullet in a tad before putting it in the press. Probably don't have to, I'll try it without next time just to see.

I haven't pinched anything yet either.

I love mine.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Do you still have yours? I'm asking because I just bought one from a seller on eBay, and this one is NOT one of the ones made by Huntington. First off, other than the two handles which are made of aluminium, this is all made from steel. The top where the die mounts, and the ram where the shell holder mounts is very nicely finished with a good blued finish. Secondly, the rods end in the bottom part, they don't extend below it, and have nuts on them like the Huntington ones do. If this isn't the one you made, I wonder if it's one of the few that Idaho Sharpshooter's friend John made? In either case, I'm very happy, even if I over paid for it, this quality is worth every penny! On one of the arms it has hand engraved into it the date 4-2-73, and what I'm assuming is a name 'Ole' on the side of the same arm. I would love to find out some history on this press if I can. Here's a picture of it:

With this press, I have now found a use for the Lee Speed Die I bought a while ago. When I first got it, I thought it was interesting, certainly a very novel idea, but didn't really see how it was much faster than using a 3 die set. Using this press, (or even the Lee hand press for that matter) I can leave the main die body screwed into the press, and the 3 removable parts of it (the sizer, expander, and boolit seater) are all small enough that I can put them in a shirt pocket while not using them, and still have room for my cigarettes, and lighter!
    Mike,

Read my PM to you and my comment #24. The Decker is the best portable press made........ I also use a Lee Speed Die to load my 357 and 44 Mags in the field.
    (PS ) I also own a Lee Hand Press and it is not the quality of the DECKER.

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the info guys! I was under the impression that the Decker press like the Compac & Decker's patent had the 2 upright rods going straight thru the bottom, and ending with a couple of nuts. Now that y'all confirmed that what I have is a Decker, I feel better. If I had a prototype, or one that was in some other way rare, I wouldn't want to use it, now using it won't bother me!
    - MikeS

Boolit Mold
    That the old Decker press if that helps

Boolit Mold
    Found this thread whilst searching for info on these little presses. I'm kind of interested in one for re-seating bullets on match ammo that has been loaded long and shipped/stored, etc.

Seeing as they go for a bit more $$$ new these days and finding one used is kind of hit or miss... is there anyway one of you that has one could either take some good color pics or a short video of one in operation? I understand the tool is fairly simple to operate; I'd just feel better having a chance to 'see it in action' before purchasing, if possible.

Thanks,

Monte

Boolit Mold
    yup that the old Decker press Hunington bought the rights to

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast