RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huntington HDS Compac Tool instructions?

Huntington HDS Compac Tool instructions?

I bought a Huntington HDS Compac Tool 2nd hand for about what Lee Hand Presses go for but, it didn't come with a box or instructions.

Really nice for a portable press, looking forward to using it.

I emailed Huntington and asked if I could download or purchase the manual but, I didn't get a reply.

Anyone know where I can download it or can do me a favor and scan me a copy of them?

Its NOS and was a store display, doesn't look like it was ever used. Its a little dusty and could use a cleaning and maybe a lube. What Lube if any can I use on it?

Thanks.

Boolit Master

Send Pressman a pm. If he doesn't have one there is another member of ARTCA that has one as new in box I think.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry I looked in the box mine came in and couldn't find the instructions.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I'll give them a try.

Thanks,

Boolit Buddy
    Send me a PM with your emailaddress and I'll send you a scanned copy of the press instructions.

Banned
    That is one reloading tool I have nothing for, not even a tool.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by utk View Post
    Send me a PM with your emailaddress and I'll send you a scanned copy of the press instructions.
    PM Sent. Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    That is one reloading tool I have nothing for, not even a tool.
    Ken

Haha! Ok, Thanks for the reply.

Boolit Master
    I picked one up as boot in a trade a few months ago. It appears to be new but no box or instructions. It sure looks like it could be a first rate producer of Blood Blisters and black fingernails. Neil

That is one great tool. It hardly needs instructions. I used one as my only press for several years, and it did just fine. Living in rented digs with no place to mount a proper press. It did hundreds of rounds a month sometimes.

I replaced the setscrew that retains the shell-holder with one that had a big head, so I could use my fingers instead of an allen wrench.

Otherwise, set it up just as you would any other press - insert shell-holder, close handles, screw die in until it touches, back off a mite, and lock the die.

It will FL size even .30-06 cases with only moderate effort, but do use case lube. It has less leverage to extract a case than the typical bench-mount press.

I evolved a technique where I use it upside-down, held out in front of me, for sizing. That obviously won't do for seating the bullet - the powder will fall out. I never use the primer seater - I always use a Lee primer tool anyway.

The tool now lives in my "field box" - I can decap/resize anything I shoot right at the bench, prime with the Lee tool, and in most cases I use a Wilson-type straight line seater anyway, so the sizing die never has to be dismounted.

A drop or two of light oil on the pivot pins will be OK. DO NOT lube the shafts - it'll only attract dirt and make them wear out.

If I live to be a hundred, I could live with the Compact tool as my only press.
    Last edited by uscra112; 04-11-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    A machinist friend wanted one thirty years ago for a range press. He was C-H-E-A-P to the nth and would not pay the $30 plus shipping, so he conned a friend at work into buying one. John "borrowed" one and made about a dozen. I bought two, for $15 apiece (iirc) at a CSSA shoot. Still have one, a friend beat me out of the other one. I also had him make me a threaded rod that fit in the die holder when I started shooting BR, and used it as an arbor press for years. The first year at the SS I embarrassed Fred Sinclair so bad using it he gave me on of his.

They are neat if you are into precision, not speed. Seat all of your boolets into the rifling about .020" at home, and work on seating depth at the range.

They are, what the kids today say. "Old School."

They also, work...

Rich

Boolit Grand Master

The HDS has been my "go to" press to take to the range and work up loads for new gun/cartridges. Makes load developement much faster as I can tweak my loads at the range rather than loading a box of shells at home and hoping that they shoot well.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I have had mine for like 30 years - never had a problem with it. Very useful little tool

Not much needed the shellholders (RCBS type) slide in and use the hex screw to keep from falling out,
    the Dies screw in normal fashion to any press to set up and lock with ring. I apply the force with both hands until handles
    are close to body then change grip to just palm pressure in to stops (keeps from smashing fingers).
    For field use I got a bunch of little bottles and premeasure charges in the range I'm looking to test to take with so no scales in field.
    (say for 5 to 7 grain testing measure 5 grains in enough bottles for total number of shots to be fired - then measure out say half that many bottles
    and charge with 1 grain and same number with half a grain and maybe a quarter with 2 grains)
    so the process is you charge with 5 grains and if you want say 6.5 - you add a 1 and a half to it.
    The bill bottles I have fit just find in the 100 round pistol cartridge box to carry afield.

I find you want to operate the press to seat bullet with it at less than 90 degree - tilted away from you at maybe 15-25 degree angle
    Last edited by Artful; 04-15-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Boolit Master

Pressman,

I think Floodgate sent one with Gene after our get together last fall. it was new in box and I think the instruction sheet was with it. We may need to ask gene to send you a copy of instructions.

I have wanted one for as long as I have been loading, just have not had the chance to pick one up at a price I was ok with.
    Last edited by scrapcan; 04-25-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    "It hardly needs instructions."

Yeah. Single stage presses of any type are about as complicated as a pencil sharpener. ??

Boolit Master
    If someone will volunteer to post the images of the paperwork (one, double sided, tri-fold), I will be glad to e-mail them to you.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

Last edited by AZ Pete; 04-26-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Boolit Master

I spent many hours building one from pics and dimensions provided by a nice member of this board because I thought they cost $300. After I spent at least a week machining the parts I found out they retail for about $120. I could have worked a minimum wage job and bought one, but it would not have been as nice and tight or pretty as mine!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I spent many hours building one from pics and dimensions provided by a nice member of this board because I thought they cost $300. After I spent at least a week machining the parts I found out they retail for about $120. I could have worked a minimum wage job and bought one, but it would not have been as nice and tight or pretty as mine!
    Or as much fun!!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    If someone will volunteer to post the images of the paperwork (one, double sided, tri-fold), I will be glad to e-mail them to you.

Thanks for the offer AZ Pete. utk hooked me up with scans of the instructions a while back. I put it up here, if yours are different I can host them also.

Boolit Master
    Mine is different than the one posted. Let me know if you want it. I attempted to post the pictures, above, but for some reason they don't show up.

My sheet must post date the one you have, as my press came with the base plate. I presume it is OEM from Huntington.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptar View Post
    Thanks for the offer AZ Pete. utk hooked me up with scans of the instructions a while back. I put it up here, if yours are different I can host them also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast