Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: How many times to lube?

Boolit Bub

How many times to lube?

So, I cast the bullet and lube with alox. Then a trip through the sizer. Do I need to apply the alox again or will it be ok with what it already has in the grooves?
    I am casting a 120gr FRN GC for a M1 carbine. I am wondering if the second time in the lube is necessary.
    Latest tests show the gas check may not be needed but I still want to size these bullets to ensure reliable feeding.

Boolit Grand Master
    I assume you are using Lee liquid Alox. If so, a second application is not a bad idea. If using a traditional lube then no more is needed.
    More info on what bullet, what lube, etc would make it easier to give a full, precise answer.

Boolit Bub
    Lee liquid alox, Lee 120gr flat round nose mold (Traditional lube grooves, not those itty bitty lee tumble lube grooves) and hornady gas checks.
    Oh, Lee nose first sizing die.

Boolit Master

Lube a second time.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    I can't answer for your exact circumstances, but I will relate this short story:
    I was lubing once with LLA and shooting 175gr TC's in my Glock. It was leading- no bad, but a little.
    I lubed a second time and all leading went away.

FWIW

The softer bullets that I'm casting I skip the first lubing and run them through the Lee sizer, then lube them and I get no leading. If they want to grunt going through the sizer I give the pile of bullets a quick spray of Hornady's One shot case sizing lube. I'm getting lazy as I get older and find myself casting more bullets from the molds that throw the bullets just the right size so all I have to do is Tumble lube. Most of my plinkers are made that way and it makes life simpler!
    Mike

Boolit Grand Master

GaryM

Lube them twice as mentioned.

Also if you are pushing those bullets past 1500 fps and want the best accuracy out of your M1 Carbine use the GCs. Suggest working up to 14.5 gr H110 for 1850 - 1900 fps.

larry Gibson

Banned

Lube once before or during sizing with a good lube and use the Alox under your car's fenders.

yes, a second trip is necessary. supposedly, the way it works is by being on the bearing surface. when you sized the boolit, you moved the lube that was on the bearing surface into the lubrication grooves.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Bub
    Looks like I will continue with the second time in the lube pan. Still gonna try it with out gas checks just to see how it does.
    FYI, I am using 12.5grs of WC820, I think it should be around 1700fps.
    Thanks everyone!