RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a gremlin in your reloading room?

Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a gremlin in your reloading room?

For the last 4 days I have been looking for a Springfield XDM 45 magazine, I've looked on top of, underneath of, and beside my press bench, I have opened boxes, moved things around and even used high intensity flashlights to illuminate the benchtop more. I picked up the couch cushions and checked there, looked under the couch, looked under the lead pot bench, looked on my desk, opened every drawer, I looked in the gunsafe, on top of the safe, and beside it. About 5 minutes ago I changed channels on the shop TV and put the remote down.... on top of the XDM magazine.......on my press bench.

I'm thinking of naming my gremlin, but I can't use that kind of language here on the forum.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Buddy

You must have just passed 65, this happens to me all the time.
    Clyde
    COL USA RET

Moderator Emeritus

Just turned 46, you mean it gets worse?
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

Doing a job at work Friday and used a 10mm wrench. Now I put my tools away after each job and before the car gets driven out of my bay. No wrench. looked the car up one side and down the other, raised it on the lift nothing. Now this job is going to cost me money to replace the Snap-on wrench I lost! End of the day changing clothes reach in to get my pocket knife, there is the knife and a 10mm wrench. Walked around with it for a good 4 or 5 hours. This gettin' old sucks, but the alternative ain't pretty either.

James

Boolit Master
    I've also been here. It frustrates the living heck out of me especially when I can remember telling myself that I will put it here???? but then can't remember where my so ingenious self thought of such the great fool proof place so I wouldn't forget it might be. I'm in my 30's...................... hard telling what’s next.

if you only have one gremlin consider yourself lucky .... seems i have one out in the shop ( who's quite active and mischievous ..maybe more than one with different taste ) and another in the house , the one in the house is much more benign ( barely ) but twice as devious when the mood strikes , i'd honestly love to pass it off as getting old but that would mean looking for my safety glasses when they are on top of my head ( that hasnt happened yet ) in the shop i have perhaps 10-12 pair ( at least ) , all placed by tools where i need them the most .... i've seen days where every pair was invisible ( we wont even mention my favorite pair .... ) usually when using something ( such as a table saw or radial arm saw or even the big belt sander ) when finished i place the glasses in "their spot" ..i've seen days where every spot was empty and the spare drawer was as well , i've looked and looked and sometimes go out to the truck or in the house to get another pair .... the next time i'm out there there's a few pair just blaring at me , of course that's usually the days i dont need them :P
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

I'm 22, I can't blame it on getting old.

My wife is fond of finding the remote in the fridge, or the milk in the girls room.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Grand Master
    Trey, your friend's name is Murphy. He hails from County Cork, Ireland. His brother, O'Rielly, lives here in my gun room. His sole mission in life is to mess with your head. He has no intent to break or steal things or hurt anyone, only to mess with you when he sees fit. You may speak to him directly about his shenanigans, but he will only laugh and then run hide behind the powder canisters. He feeds on mischief and watching you get bent when he pulls one of his pranks. You'll just have to learn to live with him.

Boolit Bub
    Bro, I have a WHOLE TEAM of them, constantly working against me. If I catch one of them...

Moderator Emeritus

Hell even the gremlins at my house are scared of SWMBO. They don't bother me, but she rearranges things in such a way that they will never be found.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Found a partial box of 30-30 ammo last week that I had been looking for off and on for over two years. It was found on the ready ammo shelf, on top of other ammo, with nothing blocking a persons view of it. Also have misplaced another full box of specialty ammo that has been missing for probably 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    I'm thinking of naming my gremlin, but I can't use that kind of language here on the forum.
    To name your gremlin, go into an empty room with a mirror, look into the mirror and you will have found your gremlin.

My suggestion to keep the gremlin at bay; become a creature of habit in the reloading room.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

No it is just me putting things were they don't belong. It is getting worse with age just today I picked up keys and the phone rang while on the phone I looked all over for keys could not find them when I put phone down they were in hand under phone.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Trey, you're having a heck of a time keeping your sXXX together aren't you.

Boolit Man
    I bought 10 9 round mags for my 204 ruger AR15 3 years ago then proceded to put them in a safe place. I just re found them when I built my new bench and had to move everything.

Banned

I lost the small scissors that I cut sandpaper with. I was right here on my seat when I used them last but they are not in the hole of my tool rack.
    I have tools that I don't know I have. I will go in a drawer now and then and see the tools with wonder.

Mine must move between my reloading room and the garage. Somewhere in one of those two places is RCBS's prototype mould for the 9 Makarov bullet they sent me in 1989. I cast a couple thousand bullets with it and then put it someplace safe from rust.

Well, it's apparently safe from discovery, also. Have turned the place upside down now that I'm short of those bullets. Nada.

Might have to buy a new one so the first one will magically appear. That seems to work for most other things the gremlin has hidden...

Boolit Buddy

gremlins

My gremlin seems to have taken a liking to a single cavity 45-70 mould with the handles still on it. After 3 years of looking, I broke down and bought another one from a member here last fall. I was sure that after buying a new one that it would turn up the next day, but no luck so far. Maybe it will show up at one of somebody else's bench. If so, good luck and may the Irish be with you, cause you will need all the help you can get if he stays at your place instead of mine.

P.S. I actually had an AMC Gremlin in the late 70's. Never a more aptly named car!

Boolit Buddy
    My buddy called it the "Hereafters", as in when you get up to get something in another room, and when you get there you wonder what am I "Hereafter". LOL

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    ....And this discussion couldn't possibly be considered complete without an historical look at Gremlins!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1xqrdtJs8w

Enjoy!

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've been missing a Tanner .510 mold for months. If I ever catch that gremlin, he's in trouble. I bet he has Ken's flintlock, too!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast