WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Discovered a kake kutter for .44 boolits

Discovered a kake kutter for .44 boolits

I have been wanting to get my .44 240 grain cast boolits lubed. I like cutting them out of my pan lubing set up. I discovered that my Tandy 7/16th leather punch is a perfect fit around a .240 grain ,44 GC boolit that has been sized to .430. It worked so well I have more boolits in the lube now waiting to cool. This solved a big dilemma for me. I ordered a .430 kake kutter from the 310 shop in January, and I haven't seen it yet. My leather punch is just what the Boolit Doctor ordered ...
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master

Cookie cutter......

Rusty-

Cookie cutters aren't really that hard to make. Just recently, I had a friend cut the heads off of a couple cartridges to use as cookie cutters.

I used: 45-70 (460) for .452 bullets
    8mm Mauser (323) for both 7mm & 308 diameter bullets

They're not perfect, but they work okay for me. Just my $.02 worth.

HV

I agree HiVel ..... I found that if the kutter is too big, it leaves too much lube on the outside of the boolit. Then when the boolit is shoved down in the case, you get an eruption of lube around the mouth of the case coming off the boolit. Messy.
    Too small and you can't get the boolit to shove thru the kutter. This 7/16 isn't too loose, nor tootight for .430. I got lucky with this one.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, keep yer eyes open and you'll find a bunch of stuff that will work for reloading/casting/lubing. Dollar store is my favorite place for odd stuff; lots of pans for pan lubing, small plastic containers for holding boolits, spray lube (Pam type), plastic bags qt. size various storage and kitchen tools that double as casting tools...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

By using Google I found a company called AmeriKen that makes cutting punches. I'm going to call them tomorrow (well, later today I guess) and check, but I'm looking to get a 5/16" punch for cutting out .30 cal boolits, and a 29/64" one for cutting out .45's I believe from what I could find on their website that the punches will cost not more than $5.00 each! They make them in several heights, with .918 & .937 being their standards, but they also make them in 1" thru 2", so I'd probably get them in 2" just for ease in handling. the 29/64ths one might be on the tight side, as it's .453 but the 5/16th one should be perfect as it's .312 which is .001 larger than my boolits drop from the mould. Once I talk to them, and find out more, I will post the info here.

Here is the URL to their website showing the punches:
    http://www.ameriken.com/products/die...unches---tube/
    Last edited by MikeS; 03-24-2011 at 01:55 AM. Reason: added URL
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

did you get a chance to talk to them today....they should make a good kake cutter..

Reading this thread reminded me that Harbor Freight and Northern Tool both sell cheap punch sets used to make bolt holes in gaskets. They are solid on one end for hitting with a hammer, but they just might work for a kake kutter.

my ¢2,
    Armorer

I'm gonna sacrifce my steel golf club handle...

should be able to tweek it to the exact size needed.

if I need more, the pawn shops sell them for $5.00 and you can probably get 2-3 different sizes from one shaft

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sheriffoconee View Post
    did you get a chance to talk to them today....they should make a good kake cutter..
    I spoke to them. While they list other height punches, the .973 (I think that's it, I'm going from memory) is their standard height. For anything other than the standard the punches start to get expensive, around $50.00 each! So, I ordered a couple of their standard height punches, one in 5/16 ID (for 30 cal), and one in 29/64ths (for 45 auto) and they were $2.20 each! It's amazing the price difference between their standard height punches, and anything else. For the 45 auto it should work OK, but for the 30 cal it's going to be tight, as the punch is just slightly taller than a single boolit!

The idea of using leather punches, or punches like them might be a better idea. Right now there's a guy on eBay that makes hole punches, and sells basically the same tool, as leather punches, hole punches for making carb gaskets, and for making felt wads for black powder cartridges. For what we want to do I think they would have to be made slightly differently, so I'm going to contact him, and explain what I (we) want to do with the punches, and see what he has to say. Again, for pistol boolits his punches might work as is, but for rifle boolits they would have to have a longer relief for the boolits to come out (they come out the side of the punch, rather than going straight thru them). The picture is one he's selling (and I'm bidding on) of this punch to make wads for .45 BPCR I think this one should work as is for 45 pistol, as he says it's for a wad between .451 & .454

- MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Buck shot will make you a beautiful Kate Cutter that will last for hundreds of years. He made me a couple a few years back. They are about 5 or so inches and are case colored and knurled for grip. They go all the way through so that the bottom bullet pushes out the top. For my .460 bullets he made mine about .463 and it works perfect. It makes pan lubing so easy and fast. Plus you don't end up with bullets that have lube all over them like when you punch them out by hand. His prices are on the easy side also.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

I picked up 14 golf clubs today, at a Salvation Army salvage store, for $8.00. That ought to keep me supplied for a week or 2. Tee Hee

Boolit Master

I have reamed brass fitting for cutting bullets out of lube they work fine. I use the tapered part that is tightened on the farrow they are available from 1/4 inch up them I use drill or reamer to get right size.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

I made up some by walking into a local small golf shop. When I showed him what I wanted the cutter for he was very interested. He took various golf club shafts and cut them for me to fit my .30, .358, .410, .430 and .454 sized boolits.

They allow the lubed boolit to come thru the shaft and come out the end....it works fine. He also is a shooter and was very interested in the whole reloading and casting thing.

I invited him over for a casting session and he got to cast some boolits for his gun and assembled some ammo on my equipment.

He has since gone over the edge and now has casting and loading equipment in his golf shop and during his slow periods he casts and reloads his own ammo.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.