RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: BuffaloClassic locked up

BuffaloClassic locked up

I was dry firing my new (50rnds fired) BC a little and must have done somthing bad. I can't get the action to open. The push button doesn't seem to depress as far as it should, and the action won't break open. Any ideas on a fix?

I called the closest HR repair center and they want me to send it in. They did say that I could get it open if I remove the trigger group and operate the release from inside. They think something is broken....
    Last edited by DanM; 03-10-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Moderator Emeritus

Take the forestock off and remove the cross-pin and see if that creates enough slack to allow it to open.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I was dry firing my new (50rnds fired) BC a little and must have done somthing bad. I can't get the action to open.
    Is there a snap cap in the chamber?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

The chamber is clear. I will remove the forestock tonight, but I thought that the hinge pin was fixed in place.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."

Boolit Buddy
    you'll have to mail it up to ilion ny. they do all the "repairs" in the remington factory since they started their multi brand monopoly. i say "repairs" because ive sent my bc there 4 times and even though theyve always fixed the problem theres always another one. this barrel has a very very steep throat but its better than a barrel with a bow in it or an improperly reamed chamber or the bore of the rifle being oval shaped.
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Master
    Frank G.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Is there a snap cap in the chamber?
    The chamber is clear.
    I figured you'd say that.

In that case...
    If something is broken as you suspect it may be a part of the firing pin...wedged in a location that keeps the mechanism from moving.

My first action would be to try to operate the release normally, while putting extra pressure on the gun to close the action. You might gain enough 'leeway' to let the release move.

Otherwise, if the factory says to remove the trigger group, that's where I would start.

CM

Boolit Master
    And go buy a snap cap. Now you know why not to dry fire any firearm. There is nothing to keep the firing pin from over extending. Then when you try and open it, you can break something.

Rich

Moderator Emeritus

Home made snap caps are easy - casing - pencil eraser and glue. Replace the primer with a piece of eraser that fits the hole and glue it in place.

OR drill and tap out a shell to 1/4 NC and thread in a nylon machine screw from the inside. They can be srewed out further as they wear and are deformed. Just trim off the bad area.
    You can find them at Chepo Depot.
    Much better than an eraser!
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

If I send it in to a service center, they will fix it under warranty. I guess that is what I will do. Here is the address of the closest factory authorized service center:

Paducah Shooters
    3919 Cairo Road
    Paducah, KY 42001
    (877) 772-3006

What a pain. I had no idea this H&R design was so touchy to dry fire. I think I will take a few before pictures that show the rifle is unmarked and in new condition, just in case they scratch it during repair....

Moderator Emeritus

Great Idea Mike, hadnt thought of that. Thanks for sharing it. I had found the eraser from a mechanical pencil was the right diameter for small pistol primers and just used them. I like the idea of threading it in though, should hold up longer.

In Remembrance
    What a pain. I had no idea this H&R design was so touchy to dry fire.
    What makes you think the H&R design is 'touchy'? Dry firing ANY weapon is asking for this kind of trouble, unless you take steps to prevent it.

Just guessing, I'd bet you have been blessed with dumb luck for a long time...until now.
    CM

Well, obviously I should not have dry fired THIS weapon. I have always dry fired centerfire weapons. Bolt guns, pistols and revos. Never had a problem until now. Maybe just dumb luck, as you say. This one locked up on the third pull over an empty chamber, not good, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    Great Idea Mike, hadnt thought of that. Thanks for sharing it. I had found the eraser from a mechanical pencil was the right diameter for small pistol primers and just used them. I like the idea of threading it in though, should hold up longer.
    I think that erasers are too soft so I did it a bit differently. For big bores I just grind/file the nylon screw head down til it clears the case mouth. Grind/file a slight point on the other end to help get it started then as it wears screw it out a bit and file off the excess.

This beats the heck out of most of the factory snap caps and is a great way to make use out of cases with split necks ect.

For some of my oddball calibers it's the only way to get snap caps. LMAO just try to find a snap cap for a 577/500 3 1/8" or a 500/450 1 9/16"
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    The only guns that I have ever dry-fired are my Contenders. The thing about the contenders is they don't have to be cocked to dry-fire them, but you do have to open and close the action each time to practice dry-firing the piece.

Boolit Master
    Some guns are designed to be dry fired and some not. If in doubt call the factory and ask. If you think that the firing pin may be jamed get a hard wood dowel of brass rod long enough to reach the breach face lower it down the muzzle and give a tap or two and see if this backs it out. I have had this happen on an old falling block and used this to push the pin in to get it open (I was not dry firing but the pin broke and the tip got stuck).

Boolit Master

Thumb-cockers can be dry-fired safely by inserting a piece of leather under the hammer to cushion the fall. I punch a hole to suround the firing pin in my Encore, and hold it in place with a dab of wax.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master
    On the shot gun type frames. Dry firing will extend the firnig pin too much and the shoulder of the pin will hit the back of the action.(which don't when it hits a primer)

Done enough times you can chip a hole in there around the weakest part of the whole thing.

I have see a pic of one action which looked like the primer had backed out and dug a hole in the breach face.
    Just from this issue.And being weakened enough.

Sorry not for me this dry firing stuff with out a good snap cap!!!!

Barra

Boolit Master
    Send it in. Do not remove the hinge pin. Do not disassemble the trigger group unless you spend a lot of time reading first. Go to GBO like has been said. Then go the the Handi rifle section. This has happend before and it will again. It says in the owners manual not to dry fire. Now you know why.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition