Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Dog. what to do?

Boolit Master

my hart goes out to you i know it herts its not just a dog its a frend i lost bolth of my frends
    when we lost our house in a fire there was just a ring were the house was to great labs
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

It's an awful decision but one that comes with the responsibility of a pet. I had to make that call with my cat Murphy who was a dead ringer for Doc's Goofy. Broke my heart but it was the right thing to do. If you love them enough to have them then you love them enough to let them go hard as it is.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Do not take your animal to the vet to be put down! My friend is an oncologist and we were discussing this very issue. According to him the compound that most vets use causes paralisis and the animal can not breath. It will be mentally alert but unalble to breath or move. This is the cruelist way to die!!! He said a bullet into the cranial cavity is the most efficent and painless method. If you do not have the stomach for this then be sure that you vet uses an overdose of seditive so the animal does not suffer.
    I was repulsed when I learned what they do and my thoughts went to the two that I have had to have put down. Makes my stomach turn.

I should have been more of a man and done it myself!!
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Sorry for the loss

I've had the pleasure of several dispositions over the years, none pleasant, all necessary.

After the good byes are done, a relaxed last visit in the warm sun is perfect, with the .22 placed point blank in the hollow at the base of the skull.
    It's instant, near bloodless, and gets the heartache behind me quickly, so the good memories can carry me forward.
    I know my old buddy went the I want to go, and am happy he's in his favorite place in the pasture...still laughing at me!
    Perhaps I am a sentimental old fool, but I'll not have my huntin' partner hooked up to a hose, nor will I want him suffer.
    Be happy for him... I just hope someone will do me the same loving service when my time comes.
    Now excuse me... I've got to visit an old friend in the pasture.

Boolit Master
    I hate having to put down a dog, but I can say that the worst part is not being with them when they do it. I believe that I should be in the room, the dog needs to be with someone it knows. It's tough, but it is best to remember the dog when it was healthy, then when it was ill. If the dog is in pain, then it needs to be done. I know too many people that led a dog suffer when it wasn't necessary.

Boolit Master
    Had to put my old Dachshund down and I did stay with her, a couple of weeks later I got a package from the Vet and a paw impression with her name and dates on it. It now hangs on my wall.
    Frank G.

Smile no good time !

Looked at this the other night and had to log out ! (Teared up) I had to put my buddy down last May long weekend here . I havent stopped thinking about him ! I was supposed to be his protector and he was licking my hand as he was put to sleep ! I felt like I had betrayed his trust .The procedure went without incident , but I still feel like I betrayed his trust ! I do not have anything but sympathy for anyone having to gothru this now . Just know that they will be going to a place with no hurt and discomfort and that they will be waiting for you wagging their tail and wondering where you have been for so long !!!!! This is what makes it a little easier for me . I have spent nearly a year fighting with this myself . What has to be has to be ! There is no good time for to loose a good friend . Just let it be on good terms and they will be waiting for you on the other side of the rainbow !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    It is tough the wife and I just buried one of our cats today named Goofy he was 14+ years old. He would sit in the chair with me while I was on Cast Boolits.
    Doc, Goofy is a spittin' image twin of a cat I had to put down at around the same age. Dickens was acquired at age 4 from a friend/co-worker who couldn't keep her. She had a polyp burst deep inside her ear, and it became gangrenous. I couldn't figure out what the odor was, and the doc couldn't save her. Pets are great best friends--but often they need to count on us humans to be their friend at the very time when they need us most and its hardest for the human. We never forget the best of times with our best friends.

Boolit Buddy

the toughest job I've ever done, it has been almost 10 years since I last held Baxter and I have one now I love even more who is 8, makes me really not look forward to that time. My heart aches for all who have to go thru it

Duke, I'm sorry for the hard time you are having, I know it's hard --I have 14y old blind heeler. I see this situation a few times a week, as I am a veterinarian seeing mostly small animals. I don't care if an animal is old and blind and deaf. There are more important indicators of quality of life. I put it as simply as I can for clients: 1) is she eating and drinking on her own? 2) is she peeing and pooping outside or in a manageable way? 3) Does she wag her tail when she sees/hears/feels you? If the answer is no for any of these questions, she is likely not experiencing a good quality of life. Of course there is more to every situation, if she has a known degenerative condition, is painful, is restless or anxious/pacing, etc, it will play into decision making.

Another important issue is grief vs guilt. If she needs to be put down you should feel sad, you can feel miserable, that is normal and expected. But don't confuse this with guilt. You may absolutely not feel guilty. It's a **** decision but it will likely need to be made.
    Here is a link: http://csuvth.colostate.edu/diagnost...support/argus/
    These are real people with real hearts, I know them.

Parrott1969....good grief! Don't believe your friend the oncologist, good heavens. I am a veterinarian, I know exactly what I'm telling you. Over 30 years ago veterinarians used to use a concentrated Potassium solution that would cause cardiac arrest and other muscle rigidity without loss of sensation (absolutely unacceptable). This is currently illegal, not just inhumane, illegal. Search www.avma.org if you want to know more. Today we use a barbiturate that causes complete loss of consciousness and then slowing and stoppage of the heart (downer overdose). I actually first administer a small shot that causes very deep sedation before using the barbiturate (no stress, no pain).
    I'm not against a 22 in the head either. This is actually an acceptable form of euthanasia as determined by the AVMA. Many sleeping pills first is a really good idea.

I am laying here reading this and Zeus is cuddled up against my back with his head on my legs. I really feel for you Duke. If it is time then it is definitely the right thing.
    The older I get the harder things like this become.
    Here is a pic of my buddy and I. I was napping and he snuggled up with me. My kid snapped some pics.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by parrott1969 View Post
    Do not take your animal to the vet to be put down! My friend is an oncologist and we were discussing this very issue. According to him the compound that most vets use causes paralisis and the animal can not breath. It will be mentally alert but unalble to breath or move. This is the cruelist way to die!!! He said a bullet into the cranial cavity is the most efficent and painless method. If you do not have the stomach for this then be sure that you vet uses an overdose of seditive so the animal does not suffer.
    I was repulsed when I learned what they do and my thoughts went to the two that I have had to have put down. Makes my stomach turn.

Copy that! and thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is no easy way, but it needs to be done. A new friend eases the pain, and provides a recipient for the excess love you have to give.

You never forget your passed on friends, but the hurt diminishes a lot when you get new ones.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

a bit of advice...don't trust an 85 year old doctor!

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_we...euthanasia.pdf

Wow. Duke I am in the same situation. 16 year old Dalmation, partially deaf, mostly blind with a golf ball sized open tumor on his left side. Gets up with some help usually but not really stable. I know it's coming but I can' deal with it yet. It is so hard to look at him like this. Right now I don't think I ever want a pet again. It hurts too much to say goodbye.

Banned

hopefully its still years off for me but putting this dog down someday will probably be the hardest thing i ever do. I sure feel for you duke.

Boolit Master

Talking

My wife was heart broken when she found Goofy down in my wood shop on top of a pile of lumber and all I could do was remind her that he really showed his appreciation to us for the home that we provided for him and the other three cats. When he came up to you and you petted him he would lick you like a big dog and you would be wet from it . I would shake his tail and he would grind his head into me and then start licking and purring and this would go on for as long as an half hour. I then reminded her that the other three cat will die some day also and that we will too and all we can do is try to make the best of it. We keep the good memories of our loved ones alive by sharing them with others.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by parrott1969 View Post

I had to put my dog down 18 months ago. I held her while the Vet injected her with a compound that knocked her out and as she was in my arms breathing slowly she then injected her with something that stopped her heart in less than 15 seconds. Her breathing slowed during that time but her heart stopped about the same time she breathed her last. [90 lb Lab]. There are other options but this is what my Vet used. She and her husband are both less than 3 years out of Vet. School.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

sorry guys i consider myself a tough sob but i could no more shoot my dog in the head to put it down as i could my son. It would be about like him dieing in the hospital and me having a choise as to pull the plug or take him out in the woods and shoot him. I hold nothing against guys who can but not this guy! hes been to good of a freind to send him off by turning his head to mush!

Boolit Buddy

What ever you feel in you're heart is best Duke.

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats they are all like kids. My beagle Willow especially is like my daughter where ever daddy goes she has to or she throws a fit they truley are family. I dont know what I am gona do when that day comes I am getting a little teary eyed reading everyones stories. Lloyed I hear ya it would have to be something VERY serrious for me to put my own pups down were they NEEDED it then and there. Any who intentional harmed my famlies pets would feel the wrath if they harmed my kids.

Duke you and youre family are in my prayers do what you think is best.

Me and Willow naping on the couch
    PaGunBuilder. Learning to build the guns that shaped our country.

"Stand your ground! Don't fire unless fired upon! But if they want to have a war, let it begin here!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast