Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Boolit Master
    If you reload or lube/size over a concrete floor---put a cheap throw rug beneath your feet---should you drop anything---it will prevent any damage. Best to use one that is a light color..easier to find things that you've dropped.

Thumbs up Tin foil cover

I have read about all kinds of things that boolit casters use to keep air from getting to the melt. I have really good luck just placing a folded up piece of tin foil, 3 to 4 layers thick, over my Lee 20 lb pot. It keeps the air off the melt and I just lift it off if want add sprus back or whatever.

Melting Wheel Weights

To ensure that you don't get any zinc in your lead molten pot just get an accurate thermometer. Lead melts at 621.5 degrees F and zinc melts at 787.15 degrees F. So if you keep your pot temperature at 650 degrees or so you will have molten lead and solid zinc and steel that can just be scooped up and removed.

When using a tumbler or vibrating case cleaner, put a used dryer sheet cut into strips in with the brass and media. It helps to trap the fine dust as well as adds a bit of shine to the cases over what the media does. Also look for Lizard Bedding in Petsmart, a 25 pound bag is way cheaper than what you pay for Media in the gun shops and if you get the fine stuff, you don't have to clean it out of the primer pockets like you do regular Media.
    Jay
    treadhead1952
    Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC RULES!

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    If you like the RCBS 'Lil Dandy" rotary powder measure like so many of us do, you either are or will be frustrated at the inability to throw the exact powder charge you want at times. There are two ways to deal with this:

1. Divide your powder charge into smaller portions and look for a rotor that will throw that. For example, suppose you want to throw 12 grains of Bullseye, but don't have #21 rotor. Take a look at throwing a double charge of #11 rotor (6 grains) or 4 charges of #3 rotor (3 grains) to get the same total charge. Of course, this requires some care to avoid an overcharge, but it should be safe enough if you can reliably count to four.

2. Select a rotor that throws MORE of your chosen powder than you want. Mix up some two component epoxy and put a few drops into the caviity to reduce the volume. Use plenty, because now you insert a drill bit into the cavity and rotate it by hand to remove just a bit of the cured epoxy. Test the powder weight. Continue until it's throwing the charge you want. Then file off the factory marking and mark its new setting with a scribe.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    When shooting moon clips of .40S&W out of a S&W610..(cast .401).. .. don't put your S&W 625 on the same table. I now have one moon clip of enlarged, ruptured .40W&W casings. Fortunately there was no accident. When I wasn't hitting plates any harder than a pellet gun might, I should have taken note. I have swallowed my pride and show it to students in Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Courses.... It's ironic, coming from an instructor, but I'd rather show how easily mistakes can be made and give the incident (and students) a face to look at. It's as dangerous as having more than one powder on the reloading bench at one time.

Boolit Mold

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    I used a face shield when grinding on welds and a lot of times the fine dirt and grindings were attracted to the shield from built up static. I would use anti static spray on my shield inside and out and it seemed to make a shield last a lot longer. I think that most of the scratches come from stuff sticking to the shield and wiping it off, if it don't stick then you don't have to wipe it off as often.
    I get this stuff from Wal-mart, they have small travel size cans for a buck and it goes a long way, spray it on and wipe it off with a soft rag, works on powder hoppers and dippers also.

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0...=1301717089000
    I spray that all over the top of my reloading bench right before I use my RCBS charge-master 1500, My reloading bench is covered in outdoor type carpet, it works.

Cheers!

Boolit Buddy
    When drinking with your buddies DON'T pass out while you are still with them.............
    Yes my grandma wears combat boots. But remember her carry weapon is a Ruger .454

Boolit Master

Write EVERYTHING down. Even that charge you've loaded thousands of for your .38 or .45. Write down the primer you used, the OAL, boolit, powder, charge weight and anything else significant. You will have an unexpected break in the action for some unforeseen reason and could make a bad mistake relying on memory. Always refer back to your notes. Read them like they are from someone else and verify everything talking out loud to yourself. Verify, verify, verify. This isn't an old age thing. It's safety for everyone.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by colt 357 View Post
    When drinking with your buddies DON'T pass out while you are still with them.............
    My friend, you need to upgrade the company you keep.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

1. Use a Sharpie to ID ingots as soon as they cool.
    2. Empty plastic coffee "cans" make awesome storage, TL and brassrattin' containers.
    3. Dry BPCR cases in a warm (250 degree) oven on a towel spread over a cookie sheet. They come out so pretty you won't want (or need) to tumble them.
    4. Casting outside in 100 degree Texas summers is pure lunacy.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 09-02-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    If using wax as a flux, expect a sudden gush of fire to engulf the top of the pot as you are stirring, and don't pull the melt over and onto yourself as you jump and pull your hand away.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    If using wax as a flux, expect a sudden gush of fire to engulf the top of the pot as you are stirring, and don't pull the melt over and onto yourself as you jump and pull your hand away.

Randy
    Keep a barbecue lighter handy and light ithe wax off before it lights off by itself. That way you know when it is going to happen and your hands can be out of the way.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    4. Casting outside in 100 degree Texas summers is pure lunacy.
    Aw, that's no kidding, there!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Grand Master

Don't go hot plate shopping in a college town during back-to-school week.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Old War Horse
    KB, additionally, use a Sharpie marker to mark bullet weight of each dummy round on the side of each case.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    KB, make dummy rounds and use them to set the die for each.

Gear

Sent from my Droid
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master

I replaced the metal wire "clip" that holds the shell holder in my Rock Chucker with an O ring of appropriate size. It allows the shell holder to float and align itself suring operation. I've had it that way for years and find it to be beneficial, for ME, anyway. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Well here's a tip I just discovered, when applying Bullplate on a preheated mold, don't be temped to use the cheap dollar store plastic barreled ones.

Now any one have a good tip for getting melted plastic off an aluminum mold?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    I replaced the metal wire "clip" that holds the shell holder in my Rock Chucker with an O ring of appropriate size. It allows the shell holder to float and align itself suring operation. I've had it that way for years and find it to be beneficial, for ME, anyway. enjoy Mike

I removed the clips on both of my Rock Chuckers years ago. No "O" rings, nothing but the shell-holder. Works fine.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by cutter_spc View Post
    Now any one have a good tip for getting melted plastic off an aluminum mold?
    Try putting it in the freezer for a couple of days. If it's the right kind of plastic, you chould be able to flake it off while it's cold. If it ISN't the right kind of plastic, try wetting it for a while in some JB Blaster from your auto parts store. Best penetrating oil I ever found.
    Regards,

Molly

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast