Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    I do that, but I put it on the measure. Shows where its set, and what powder Im using.
    Me too. I stick a white label on the plastic column that reminds me of what my Dillon is set up for, powder charge, caliber and bullet.

I've reaches the stage where I have an absolutely perfect and infallible memory as long as everything is written down. (VBG)
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    I know a guy that put ear wax remover drops in his eye. As a matter of fact, he did it at my house. I once got some MEK in one of my eyes.
    My wife offered to put some eyedrops in my eye not too long ago, and picked up a window cleaner by mistake. MAN! It's mostly just an isopropanol solution, but that alcohol BURNS!!!

I was working in a paint lab and the line to a spray gun being cleaned with solvent ruptured, soaking me down with xylene from head to foot. Eyes too, and other places as well. I ain't NEVER gonna laugh at no turpentined cat!
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Molly: did you work in a paint lab in Cincinnati and if so which one? I was a paint chemist in Cincinnati for 35+ years.
    God Bless, Whisler

Banned

At least you were clean.

Boolit Master
    I have a question.
    Say you load for 3006 an you use 5 different bullets. How do you mark the seating die when you put it away for a while for the bullet it is set for?
    Kevin

Banned

KB, make dummy rounds and use them to set the die for each.

Gear

Boolit Buddy

Rinse, rinse, rinse after citric acid

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    After cleaning brass by the citric acid method, rinse the brass several times, shake the excess water from the cases and dry them in your food dehydrator on a low setting. Got the idea from a friend. It`s so simple, I should have thought of it....dale

Hi all -
    I want to emphasize the rinsing of brass after citric acid dip. I didn't rinse (just dried) and after vibrating the brass I had severe black stains (walnut media) that refused to polish out.
    This was the first time I used citric acid and hadn't seen any advice to rinse. So if I missed it and this is common knowledge please forgive.....Mohavedog.

Banned

Why not use citric acid, vinegar, or ammonia? Ive heard its bad, but why?

Boolit Master

I load dummy rounds for all my various ammo. I also cut in half (lengthwise) a case for each caliber. These help the see how deep the boolit is going to seat and such like.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Quote Originally Posted by whisler View Post
    Molly: did you work in a paint lab in Cincinnati and if so which one? I was a paint chemist in Cincinnati for 35+ years.
    Hi Whisler,

No, not in Cincy, though I've worked in other labs here. My paint lab experience was first in Atlanta, GA, and then in the PPG research labs in Pittsburgh, and covered about 35 years.
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Buddy
    This is my first post on the forum, and I'm learning a lot, even though I've been casting for a number of years.

I used to use a variation on using the washer/dryer to polish my cases. At Wally World you can buy big plastic containers shaped like pickle jars. Fill those half full of walnut media, throw in your brass (and Brasso if you use it) and put it in the dryer with the heat setting on "air." When you're done, separate the media and load the shiny cartridges.

I might add that I'm a bachelor, and no women were harmed in the performance of this experiment -- and also that it makes a lot of noise. I'd start the dryer and then go somewhere else and have a beer until it was done.

How about wrapping the jar in a couple of towels to quieten it down?

Boolit Buddy
    It still makes a pretty tremendous thumping noise, but that does help some. What's really critical is to observe the rotation of the dryer, and don't put the jar in so that the rotation unscrews the top.

Banned

Just find a jar with left hand threads.

Boolit Master
    To use a dryer to polish brass---place brass in closed container with polishing media (two and a half gallon bucket). Place container in the center of the dryer drum and pack in three or four rolled-up sleeping bags to hold it in place. Turn on dryer (cold air setting) and go have a beer (or two).
    R.D.M.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I have a question.
    Say you load for 3006 an you use 5 different bullets. How do you mark the seating die when you put it away for a while for the bullet it is set for?
    Kevin
    Easy
    Use a caliper like this:

Boolit Buddy
    Chicken Thief, I do the same thing, never moving the stop, only I take all my measurements from the stop, either way it's very accurate and repeatable.................steg

After looking at your pics again, I like your way better, but going from the stop ring is still necessary to set the crimp....................

Banned

Go shooting in a driving rain, no bugs.

Lightbulb Polish brass in half the time!

Here is how I cut my tumbler time in half. When I use the cover and clamp it down against the bowl the tumbling action is slowed by about 50%. To speed the tumbler up I placed a double nut on the tumbler shaft to position the cover just above the bowl. Then I clamp the cover against the double nut. This allows the tumbler to run at top speed and still keep most of the tumbler dust in the bowl.

Here's something I've used for depriming .223 cases and should work for others. Walmart (or any grocery store) sell Vegetable oil spray for cooking at $1.00 a can. I figured I'd try it and other than being messy (and slow to dry although it does dry overnight and isn't bad then) it works great as a case lube. I've got a bunch of military brass that needs deprimed and crimp removed so after depriming I run them through the cleaner. The resizing die keeps a good portion on it so you can get away with not spraying all of them with it, but be careful trying that.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast