RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

In Remembrance

I used a face shield when grinding on welds and a lot of times the fine dirt and grindings were attracted to the shield from built up static. I would use anti static spray on my shield inside and out and it seemed to make a shield last a lot longer. I think that most of the scratches come from stuff sticking to the shield and wiping it off, if it don't stick then you don't have to wipe it off as often.
    I get this stuff from Wal-mart, they have small travel size cans for a buck and it goes a long way, spray it on and wipe it off with a soft rag, works on powder hoppers and dippers also.

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0...=1301717089000
    Last edited by lead-1; 06-18-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Banned

Good tip! A welder friend of mine has at least two of every kind of PPE there is, and he told me emphatically once that the FIRST thing you EVER do before cleaning a lens is to rinse the grit off of it with running water, THEN you can wipe it. It stuck with me. He always kept an extra helmet on the drying rack next to his sink.

Molly, I just went through the same thing, alloying 350 lbs of miscl. stuff in one batch by dividing about ten different batches of ingots and various items into equally proportioned piles that would each fit into my smelting pot. It took seven batches, but it all came out about the same.

Gear

not a bad idea to have your lead levels check one in a while

Boolit Master

After cleaning brass by the citric acid method, rinse the brass several times, shake the excess water from the cases and dry them in your food dehydrator on a low setting. Got the idea from a friend. It`s so simple, I should have thought of it....dale

Boolit Grand Master
    Off-topic warning.......my good tip for the day is to refrain from doing pub crawls with step-daughter (23) and her prime enabler--my wife/her Mom Marie. Very foolish, and hangover was DOGMATIC.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub

My Tip of the Day-armprairie

Oh, It's [U]five[U] grains to the mark!
    When using the old beam type scales (like I'll use till my dying day), look, then look again at the marks on your scale. Make sure your cipherin' the way the scale makers intended (sorry to use big words). Make sure everything is sitting squarely in the bottom of the vees. A little grit in the wrong place can raise heck with your day. Be as careful with that little jewel as you would your own eyeball.

Longwood

Foot controlled case trimmer.

I used a motor and foot pedal from a sewing machine that I bought for $10 at a thrift store to make a powered case trimmer.

And another thing...

Quote Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
    Don't try to seat a bullet with a Lee FCD. Did this one by accident the other day...
    Similarly, don't try to seat your lovely cast boolit in the powder stage of a Dillon. Got distracted and swaged it right into the bottom of a .38 Special case. Dang near broke the handle off the boolit puller getting it out. Interesting looking critter now...

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Longwood

Acronymns

Don't be lazy and use acronyms and or abbreviations if you want people to understand what you are typing.

Banned

Talking

.lol.

Banned
    I wear contacts and use the small containers to mix epoxy glue in.

Longwood

Snot sucker

Those snot suckers, AKA nasal irrigator thingies, they sell in the baby departments work great to blow those flakes of powder that you can't get to, out of the recesses of your press.

Banned

I wanted to clean up some brass, and since my rock tumbler only holds 50 at a time, I decided to toss some of them in with the laundry just to see how they came out. I added 3 or 4 cups of vinegar to the wash, and then tossed them into the dryer. I used all of the smaller articles of clothing, hand towels, socks, that sort of thing to help scrub the brass. To my great suprise and delight, the brass came out just like brand new. Seriously, they looked like you had hand polished them with brasso!

Toss them in the dryer as you are leaving the house, 1,000 brass casings in the dryer is LOUD!

Longwood

Heartburn

When you wake up in the middle of the night and stumble into the bathroom, half asleep for some Maalox,,,, turn on the light.
    Why?
    Because hand lotion tastes nasty!

Banned

Unhappy

My mom told me about a co worker who had mistaken her eye drops for super glue. I still get a little bit ill when I think of that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    I wanted to clean up some brass, and since my rock tumbler only holds 50 at a time, I decided to toss some of them in with the laundry just to see how they came out. I added 3 or 4 cups of vinegar to the wash, and then tossed them into the dryer. I used all of the smaller articles of clothing, hand towels, socks, that sort of thing to help scrub the brass. To my great suprise and delight, the brass came out just like brand new. Seriously, they looked like you had hand polished them with brasso!

Toss them in the dryer as you are leaving the house, 1,000 brass casings in the dryer is LOUD!
    Where do all the girlfriends and wives direct their hate mail for that one?

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    My mom told me about a co worker who had mistaken her eye drops for super glue. I still get a little bit ill when I think of that.
    I know a guy that put ear wax remover drops in his eye.
    As a matter of fact, he did it at my house.
    I once got some MEK in one of my eyes.

Banned

ouch. Brake cleaner aint no fun either.

Boolit Buddy

tip

I put a short length of masking tape on my scale, and use a pen to write the load I am weighting on it in pen. It is a constant reference while I am weighing each load. I can cross it out and add a new weight and powder number, as loads change. When the tape is full of numbers crossed out, I peel it off and add a new clean piece. It's a good reference if you want to rember the last load you used. The toolman

Banned

I do that, but I put it on the measure. Shows where its set, and what powder Im using.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast