Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by bigcountry022885 View Post
    I will have to try this I got about 300 of wheel waits left to go lol
    Indeed. It's a $10 item available about anywhere that sells automotive tools.
    I'd grab the one with the biggest magnet though.
    After stirring things in the pot, the steel have a tendency to "lock" together, so you're picking up several pieces at a time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try to be nice to people, even the one's who don't deserve it.
    It will make you feel better.

Boolit Master
    Don't dry wet tumbled brass in a pan on the top of a wood stove.
    Sometimes a live primer is still in the case. Scared the hell out of my chihuahua.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Don't dry wet tumbled brass in a pan on the top of a wood stove.
    Sometimes a live primer is still in the case. Scared the hell out of my chihuahua.
    All the more reason to deprime before cleaning...

Have you ever deprimed on an RCBS Rock-Chucker press and had the primers bounce off the bottom of the plate all over the room. It kinda defeats the purpose of the plastic catch cup that mounds to your press. Take a large diameter drinking straw (McDonalds works best for me...the thin ones don't hold against the walls of the groove). Cut it and insert it into the repriming groove of the ram making sure the top of the plastic straw is below the shell holder. It should be about 1/2"-3/4" shorter than the ram groove total length. When depriming, it adds some resistance to the walls and the primers will drop neatly into the depriming plastic catch cup.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

If you reload with 800x and weigh every charge a pewter creamer makes a great container to dip your powder from. When you finish you can just pore any unused powder back into it's container. And it is heavy enough that it is hard to knock over. I almost melted it for boolits before I figured that out.
    SPJ

When you do your melting or casting with gas, make sure you checked!!!!that your spare bottle is FULL.
    Its Always empty when everything is closed and your pot is full.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Try to be nice to people, even the one's who don't deserve it.
    It will make you feel better.
    Or piss them off and you'll still feel better
    Last edited by Grmps; 05-01-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I buy my kitty litter in a 40lb. bucket.
    they are very stackable.
    The lid folds but does not come off.
    I have them filled with lead ingots.
    they weigh in the neighborhood of 350lb.
    I mark the ingots with a steel stamp.
    L for straight lead, WW for wheel weights,
    and then mark them on the out side of the bucket
    with a black marker.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

If you have an old Food Dehydrator..... it will dry brass cases just as well as that new expensive brass case drying unit sold by Lyman or Frankford Arsenal .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

When casting with multiple cavity moulds, reverse the direction of cavity filling on each cycle. Otherwise you will create a "HOT" end and a "COOL" end on the mould. Hot end and cool end casting will give measurable weight differences.
    Roy

Does everyone already know this?
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by gunarea View Post
    Does everyone already know this?
    Nice! That ones totally new to me. I'll have to do that next time I cast.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

This one is from Col. Cooper who used to write for 'Guns & Ammo'.

"Don't unload your 1911 while standing over a water bed".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    It can be frustrating if the lead in the spout on your bottom pour pot hardens enough to clog it. I keep a cheap refillable Ronson cigar lighter in my box of casting stuff just in case. Only $4, puts out a nice concentrated blue jet flame, and I have even been known to use one to light a cigar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D2919039-B771-4FB0-A6DF-74C617F69F96.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	234909
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

don't fry bacon naked
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    After reading an awful No lotta posts and seeing all the people asking for load data from the internet my tip of the day is when you start reloading invest in a reloading manual! There are certainly an off a lot of knowledgeable people here on this forum and it’s a great place for information but I find it unbelievable that people go out by equipment to reload and cast and don’t invest in a reloading manual . It is one thing to try and verify data and ask for Opinions but to rely solely on information you get off the Internet just seems like a foolish endeavor to me . I mean come on guys you can pick up a Lyman or Lee reloading manual for a little over 20 bucks . It may not have every load in it for every J word bullet but at least it’s a place to start ! I see these post where someone asks is blanky blank grains of powder for my blanky blank caliber bullet too hot for my gun ? Whatever happened to starting out low and working up a load for your specific gun . To all you new be’s,b for Pete’s sake‘s invest in your basic reloading manual ! A Lee or lineman manual is certainly adequate to get you started !

Mods if this is the wrong place for this post please feel free to move it to the appropriate location thank you
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    don't fry bacon naked
    I always tell people they should never pet a burning dog.

Boolit Master
    Here is a good tip.:

~Read thru this topic & then come back & read it again every so often to remind you of the tips here & in case any new ones are added.

Some more tips:

~ Use a cheap plastic kitchen colander/strainer

for holding your brass while ya rinse it after you are done soaking & shaking your brass in a citrus/dish detergent & water mix to clean the brass after returning from shooting, and run cold water over them to rinse off the solution completely.

~If you don't want to buy a colander, you can also use some 1/4" mesh "hardware cloth" if you have it, or one of those mesh bags that onions & other veggies come in at the grocery store to rinse the brass.

~After rinsing, to speed drying, put the brass on an old towel, grab the short ends & pull the long ends tight with the brass in the middle like it is in a hammock & left the shorts ends alternately to rock the brass inside the towel to get all the water off & out of the brass & the towel soaks up the water.

~ You can also use that colander if the holes are big enough, to dump your brass & tumbling media in over a bucket or container large enough to separate the media from the brass. Then, once done with the brass and tumbling media separation(s), rinse the colander & it is ready for the citrus solution again, or hang it up to dry.

~ If you have a Lee hardness tester and want to test a boolit, instead of filing a flat spot, you can just test the nose & still use the boolit if ya want by placing a quarter, small holed fender washer, or an elect. box slug on the top of the shell holder mounted, V- troughed boolit holder, that comes with the kit, or just set the flat item on top of the ram, put the boolit on the flat item nose up & test the nose. Then just measure the dimple to get the reading.

~ Instead of using the little Lee microscope to get a reading on the dimple. Simply take a red or black sharpie, color the hollow of the divot & use your calipers to do the measurement.

~ When you are looking up loads for a particular caliber, use a metal binder clip

to hold the page as a "book marker" until you are done & then just move it to the next caliber when you go to research another type of load data.

~ You can also use some masking tape to ID certain load pages in your manual by folding a small piece of tape that is attached to the pages for the calibers & load data you use the most, mark them with a pen for what caliber you are looking for & then stagger those location "Tabs" for the different calibers so they do not cover each other up & then you will not have to page thru the manual to find the caliber pages you use the most.

OK, although I have more, I will stop at that and leave some for others to post up.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    selmerfan sez: "When using any powder charge with which a double charge is possible, always charge case and immediately seat the bullet. "
    GONRA sez -best possible advice for "Subsonic Ammo Reloaders". (NO Progressive Presses!)

My experience - for most calibers, CANNOT reliably EYEBALL a Charging Block full of LOWER POWDER CHARGED cases, seeking double charges...

Also DISTRACTIONS: Remember to keep TV, Wifey, 3 kids, 2 cats, and the hamster OUT of the Reloading Room!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    selmerfan sez: "When using any powder charge with which a double charge is possible, always charge case and immediately seat the bullet. "
    GONRA sez -best possible advice for "Subsonic Ammo Reloaders". (NO Progressive Presses!)

My experience - for most calibers, CANNOT reliably EYEBALL a Charging Block full of LOWER POWDER CHARGED cases, seeking double charges...

Also DISTRACTIONS: Remember to keep TV, Wifey, 3 kids, 2 cats, and the hamster OUT of the Reloading Room!!!
    And "adult" beverages & things that have coals & release smoke.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast