RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by dbarry1 View Post
    If you have cats in your reloading room, don't forget to put your lid back on your brass tumbler.

No, that's not a tootsie roll in there. :O)
    FUNNY AS HECK! But with mouth watering after spending all this time picking the walnut shell off...I'm gonna eat it anyway!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    When you start smelting wheel weights, if you rely on temp to separate out the zinc ones, sort the ones going into the bottom of the pot because if a zinc one is on the bottom it will melt before your thermometer gets a good reading.
    Don't ask me how I know. LOL

Jerry

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Ghost View Post
    When you start smelting wheel weights, if you rely on temp to separate out the zinc ones, sort the ones going into the bottom of the pot because if a zinc one is on the bottom it will melt before your thermometer gets a good reading.
    Don't ask me how I know. LOL

Jerry
    Good idea. I've had that happen.

What i try to do is keep pushing the wheel weights down and moving the solid WW into anything thats starting to melt. if you go low and slow you can keep the whole mess in a big slush like state.
    Once the whole pot has reached a slush state it take very little time before all of the lead goes molten and the clips and zinc float. Theres a good window before you get up to the zinc melting temp from the slush stage.
    hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyseal View Post
    When smelting range berm lead or ww. put them in an old deep fryer basket in the pot on the burner, heat up... shake gently now and then...the lead melts out and all the metal stays in the basket and comes out All At Once ...except for dirt that spoons out easily.

I've done this many times...and it works!
    Very Quick and Easy~!!
    What an awesome idear!!! Thank you, thank you. Even better than the Ice Fishing Hole scoop.
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Design New Mold with Chamber Leade Shape in Mind

Desiging Molds: Pay close attention to your chamber cast. I "misread'/"mis-measured" mine from a Marlin 1895GS & did not appreciate the how "small/short" the Leade was. With this NOT in mind & whilst too focused on obtaining a large, 73%, Meplat design, my chamber would not accept it. Very sad. After inserting a boolit into a naked case & chambering it, I then started to understand why the darn boolit was being driven so far into the case! The Marlin's Leade is almost non-existent. I arrived at a way to accomplish grinding a short, tapered modification to the Leade, and my blunt, bore riding boolit nose finally fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00800 My MM461-405 Bbl Slug, 130K.JPG  
    Last edited by Walstr; 12-31-2016 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Trying to add a 2nd .jpg
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Banned
    I found that a potato masher does a quick job of thoroughly fluxing my casting pot and a Stainless Steel Mesh Strainer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9HNX6O...LI96NDYI&psc=1
    Does a quick job of thoroughly fluxing my smelting pot and I can skim most of the crud with it too.

Boolit Bub
    I 'fixed' my Lee bottom pour drip by wiring the rod to the handle bar. Still get some drip, but no where near what it used to be. Wiring it maintains it's position and reseats more uniformly than before.

Boolit Buddy
    There is a reason most casters on this forum recommend long lighters to burn the flux. I got the little one out of the pot before it popped. Lesson learned.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    There is a reason most casters on this forum recommend long lighters to burn the flux. I got the little one out of the pot before it popped. Lesson learned.
    ROTFLOL some of use just have to learn the hard way. ya me too.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    That wouldn't have brought the tinsel fairy, that would've summoned the Tinsel Christ!

Boolit Buddy
    I always have a roll of green masking tape around and anytime I set a powder measure, I write the powder and charge on the masking tape and stick to the measure. If I can pick up cheap measure at a gun show I can leave it permanently set for a popular charge. I bought a nice Ideal 55 measure this fall at a gun show for $5. I don't have to remember that way. Marking works good on the adjustable case trimers too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Thief View Post
    Never fry bacon without a shirt on
    Or without pants on
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    When cleaning cases with citric acid, NEVER use a product that has gelatin in it!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Share Your Tip Of The Day

Never holster an unloaded gun. Ever.
    I holstered an unloaded gun earlier while cleaning, was too distracted getting ready I left the house and 40 minutes later when I realized it was too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Banned
    I was casting with a Castiron mold and wasn't getting the best fill out so I grabbed a brass brush and dry scrubbed out the vent lines, blew out the mold and I was back in business with pretty bullets again

Boolit Bub
    I like to brush clean the spout on the ladel about every 20 pours.This ensures more quality bullets in a session.

Boolit Bub
    james23,I use the blue masking tape for notes on pretty much every thing in the reloading room.

Boolit Bub

Share Your Tip Of The Day

I keep all of my one lbs powder jugs to store cast bullets in if you peel the label off a white paint marker and your in business for better organized ammo

I use a magnet on a stick (automotive tool) to "pluck" the steel pieces of wheel weights out of the lead smelting pot instead of scooping.
    Seems easier and cleaner to me.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
    I use a magnet on a stick (automotive tool) to "pluck" the steel pieces of wheel weights out of the lead smelting pot instead of scooping.
    Seems easier and cleaner to me.
    I will have to try this I got about 300 of wheel waits left to go lol

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast