Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Boolit Master
    I dont know if anyone has ever posted on this before but I found if I wrap a Lyman or RCBS type nose punch with a single layer of blue tape it will thread into my saco lube sizer. just make sure you degrease the pungh before you wrap tape cut off excese tape .lasts two or three times.

Boolit Master
    If you are like me you have containers all over the place for boolets, cases, etc and are always looking for more. (the stronger the better)
    I had some 4" PVC left over from another project, stuck an end plug on, about a buck at the "other toy store" (end cap - a couple bucks, would be stronger). Holds a bunch of boolets, and you would be hard pressed to collapse it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0011.jpg  
    Last edited by Gunslinger1911; 09-04-2015 at 11:19 AM.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

I am an expert caster of 1 year unless you count the times I spent melting wax to make parafin napalm or making master caster wax cars as a kid...

So naturally it surprised me when I did this the other day...
    While pulling on a gauntlet onto my right hand/arm the other day so I could crack the sprue plate of the mold that I was holding that was freshly filled in my left hand, my fingers slipped off the gauntlet and the mold smacked my arm and bounced onto my bicep...

So be sure to have some of this handy:

http://discoveraquaphor.com/aquaphor-hand-and-body/

Boolit Master
    Yep Aquaphor is great for healing (burns and new tats). Right at my casting bench I keep a bottle of Aloe (be sure to get the 100% stuff). Really stops the sting of a burn quickly.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by steg View Post
    Once I get a die set up, belling, seating, I'll take my verniers and measure from the top of the adjusting screw to the top of the die, and from the top of the die to the locking ring. and record this right along with the load. This saves alot of time and frustration when your setting up for a different boolit, or have to take the die apart to clean the excess lube out of it.......................steg

P.S. I thought this thread would just keep going on and on, we could really share alot of info on this one.................steg
    Great idear...I'm noting this data on small 'luggage' tags from office supply, which I tie/wire to the dies.
    Last edited by Walstr; 09-12-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: more comment
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Slugging my barrels:

.45-70-405===1gr xDot, then fire; Totally silent as boolit lodged 12" into barrel, then push back into breech.

45LC-200gr LRNFP==.5gr xDot, ditto

9mm-125gr LRN===.3gr xDot, ditto
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walstr View Post
    Slugging my barrels:

.45-70-405===1gr xDot, then fire; Totally silent as boolit lodged 12" into barrel, then push back into breech.

45LC-200gr LRNFP==.5gr xDot, ditto

9mm-125gr LRN===.3gr xDot, ditto
    That's an awesome idea.

Banned

Use a portable file box for sandpaper storage. One "file" for each grit.

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/file-storage-boxes

https://www.google.com/search?q=port...w=1345&bih=583

Boolit Bub
    For those of us that still have the ball handle on our reloaders and refuse to pay mega $$$ for the roller handle....just slip an infant sock on the handle. The sock lets the ball slide in your hand. If the sock falls off, a wrap or two of electrical tape around the shaft will keep the sock in place for a while.

AR15-SBR

When starting to load for a new gun, I make sure it is unloaded, close the breech, and run a square-tipped brass rod (1/4" works well for most calibers) down the barrel as far as it will go. I wrap a piece of masking tape around the rod exactly at the highest point of the muzzle and mark the gun model on it with a Sharpie. Then I take a candidate boolit and push it into the chamber until it is firmly against the rifling. I run the rod back into the barrel until it touches the tip of the boolit. Using the inside jaws of my caliper, I measure from the masking tape to the highest point of the muzzle. This is the preferred OAL for a round loaded with this boolit. I pop the boolit out with the rod, and lay it beside the neck of an empty case at that OAL. It will be immediately obvious if that boolit is a viable candidate for use in that gun. I have had some where the boolit didn't even touch the case neck, and some where it had to be pushed far down past the base of the neck. If the boolits are bore riders, I also check the bore riding part in the muzzle to see if it fits snugly. A loose bore rider is never going to shoot well. Of course you will write this information in your loading notes so you don't waste time with unsuitable boolits

If you use a LEE SIZING DIE and have pinched your fingers…or fumble around placing the boolit just right…or if you feel it's too slow…or whatever…
    gimme 40 seconds and watch this...
    Lee bullet sizer modifications
    What do you think?

Sorry it's so fast but I had to create a video I could send to LEE by iPhone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    If you use a LEE SIZING DIE and have pinched your fingers…or fumble around placing the boolit just right…or if you feel it's too slow…or whatever…
    gimme 40 seconds and watch this...
    Lee bullet sizer modifications
    What do you think?

Sorry it's so fast but I had to create a video I could send to LEE by iPhone.
    You sir are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I put the can of powder I am using right behind my measure until i am done with it, so there is no confusion as to which powder is being used. It then goes back on the shelf away from the measure when done...avoids that situation. Labeling would also help !
    No matter where I put the powder container I'm currently using…I set it upside down…of course that wont work with big canisters but I load powder from the canisters into 1 lb. cans with a computer generated label from a 'Brother label maker' on it…no confusion, no fuss, no mixed powder either!

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Here's a tip for bulk/plinking ammo storage:

If you're using an ammo can to bulk store ammo, weigh it empty, then weigh the rounds that are in the can. That way when you label the can, you also label the tare weight and rounds/lb so if you have a postal scale, you know how much ammo is in your can.

So in this case: 26.35lbs - 3.6lbs for the container = 22.75 rounds of ammo.

22.75 rounds x 20 rounds/lb = I know there are about 455 rounds in that can without having to keep track.
    "I thought I was a smartie for discovering this…man I weigh all kinds of things this way…bags o brass…boxes o boolits…I zero a pan or box on the scale and pour them in…get weight, then weigh 10 of the items by themselves and divide into total weight, whatever that number is I know there is 10X that in the count…Sounds complicated at first but it works like a charm! I use the grams scale mostly on my 25 pound scale...couting little things gets 'OLD'…LIKE ME!"

GREAT POST

Quote Originally Posted by mr.jake View Post
    A .38sw lee powder through expander die will eliminate swagging of your 9mm boolits and still charge your case with powder.
    I wanted to use my Lyman 55 with those dies and had to Jeri-Rig it to almost work well…I made a short video to send to Lee about this…whether or not they do anything about it IDUNNO…A new friend in Texas saw this first video, made me one and sent it to me, thank you agin Harold Waters...heres two videos I made…one regarding an adapter that would screw onto that die…t'other is how I use it on my turret...powder filler modification...TURRET PRESS…EFFICIENT OPERATION…LEE POWDER DIE

Good luck out there you bunch O Brass Stuffers! charlie

Moderator Emeritus

No matter where I put the powder container I'm currently using…I set it upside down…of course that wont work with big canisters but I load powder from the canisters into 1 lb. cans with a computer generated label from a 'Brother label maker' on it…no confusion, no fuss, no mixed powder either!
    I have a desk nest to my bench with my powder measures on it. The only time a powder canister is up there is when there is powder in the measure.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have a desk nest to my bench with my powder measures on it. The only time a powder canister is up there is when there is powder in the measure.
    Pretty danged foolproof I'd say…I have to admit this…"Us old guys do things a little strange…so take me with 2 Aspirins, you'll be fine in the morning!"

SeeYa…this side or t'other!

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    When you wake up in the middle of the night and stumble into the bathroom, half asleep for some Maalox,,,, turn on the light.
    Why?
    Because hand lotion tastes nasty!
    Damn…that is funny…one of the best tips I ever heard…I hate turning on lights when still 1/2 asleep…generally I snag my little toe on something that tries to rip it off…my wife will turn the light on for me as she tries to figure out who's dieing on the floor…me, the dog or one of the cats!

Sombody oughta start a sticky titled….."You ain't gonna believe this, but…"

Still laughing about the hand lotion! charlie

Boolit Master

Damn…that is funny…one of the best tips I ever heard…I hate turning on lights when still 1/2 asleep…generally I snag my little toe on something that tries to rip it off…my wife will turn the light on for me as she tries to figure out who's dieing on the floor…me, the dog or one of the cats!

Sombody oughta start a sticky titled….."You ain't gonna believe this, but…"

Still laughing about the hand lotion! charlie
    See if you can top this, bet you can't. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-top-this-NOPE
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    See if you can top this, bet you can't. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-top-this-NOPE
    Thats a classic…You are in the..."Real Men only Casters Club"…you're still here too…still have ten digits?..I hope…If that experience wouldn't dissuade you, what else could?…a hopeless addiction we suffer together with a smile!

I'm gonna havta think on this one, I have some pretty good yarns rolling around between my ears…just don't recall one at the moment...

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast