RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

More sound advice.... A dremel can be your best friend or worst enemy...
    Also LEE equipment can sometimes cause a bit of cursing but it gets the job done
    ALSO pretty much every major gun/reloading company will back their product, if you have a problem contact the manufacturer
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master
    Don't waste time when pan lubing by remelting all of the lube each time you cut out your boolits. Just put new boolits in the hole left by the prior boolits, and use a hair dryer or heat gun to melt the lube around the new boolits. Much faster...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I like the Sharpie idea and it obviously works. I used to do that (20+ years ago), but my mentor told me it would/could contaminate the primers, so I stopped. Urban legend???
    I've wondered that myself, but they have always fired.
    Last edited by ghh3rd; 03-21-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Banned

Cut up an old bicycle inner tube in small sections to make "rubber bands" to hold your moulds together you don't have boxes for.

If you have a "range" on your property lay down old carpet scraps to catch brass. Rake it or leaf blow the carpet before you shoot and all the bras settles in real nice to be swept up when your done.
    Last edited by ncbearman; 04-03-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbillbus View Post
    Don't pick up a cat with super glue on your hands.

Never pet a burning dog.

Tuck, then zip.
    That is why God invented button Fly Jeans.

Haven't seen this one yet, the Dollar Stores sometimes have the 3/8 thick plastic cutting boards, which can be drilled easily to accommodate pins being tapped into or out of firearms. I have bolted 4 together to give me a thick pounding board. Haven't found an epoxy that will glue them together yet
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Gear I can't keep a face shield clean enough to see through for 5 minutes. Steam over or a few hours in the shop and they are too scratched to view through. I'll have to try again.
    Rub you wife's best wet bar of soap along the inside of the shield, then dry with a towel. Or, what I do for my face shields on my full face motorcycle helmets is keep some RainX washer fluid in a small spray bottle, spray it on the inside and wipe dry. That should clear up your steam problem. THis has been proven effective at 75mph on a 24f day riding from Detroit to Milwaukee in October.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsnscrews View Post
    Rub you wife's best wet bar of soap along the inside of the shield, then dry with a towel. Or, what I do for my face shields on my full face motorcycle helmets is keep some RainX washer fluid in a small spray bottle, spray it on the inside and wipe dry. That should clear up your steam problem. THis has been proven effective at 75mph on a 24f day riding from Detroit to Milwaukee in October.
    Wished I'd known that 40 years ago.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Banned
    I hope this tip saves someone a barrel or gas in the face. Today one of my rounds in my Browning Medallion in .223 just went pop and did not sound right. I ejected the case and checked the barrel with my brass ram rod which I always take with me to the range. Sure enough I had a bullet stuck and it easily was pushed out. I was shooting .224 cast bullets with gas check 52 grain. Anytime a round does not go boom and instead goes pop, stop and check the barrel. You just can't be too safe!!!! I am shooting light loads at 25 yards but I don't want to think what might have happened had I tried to load another round without checking. dd

Quote Originally Posted by donald duck View Post
    I hope this tip saves someone a barrel or gas in the face. Today one of my rounds in my Browning Medallion in .223 just went pop and did not sound right. I ejected the case and checked the barrel with my brass ram rod which I always take with me to the range. Sure enough I had a bullet stuck and it easily was pushed out. I was shooting .224 cast bullets with gas check 52 grain. Anytime a round does not go boom and instead goes pop, stop and check the barrel. You just can't be too safe!!!! I am shooting light loads at 25 yards but I don't want to think what might have happened had I tried to load another round without checking. dd
    I had a seriously lucky incident one time where a boolit was stuck in a barrel short enough to prevent it from chambering.... Man was I lucky since I heard a bang and the brass ejected but the lead didn't go home...
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

When removing down side up primers from a case, you can make them inert by putting WD40 into the open side. Let them set for a while and then de-prime with no kaboom.

If you need some gun picks ask your dental hygienist. They usually have some that are worn out and will give them to you. Mine runs them thru their autoclave and checks them for damage so they are clean.
    Last edited by Minerat; 04-13-2014 at 01:21 AM.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

OK, first time out at the range with a new rifle and the loads you choose were lousy. Change only one thing at a time. I rarely take my own advice and wish I would. There is more to learn if you only change one thing...it's a process not a race to MOA.
    the end
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

The other day I was stirring my melt with a wood ruler that I figered would flux as I stirred. Well, the thing burned pretty a good 2 inches and while stirring the burnt part broke while I was scraping the bottom and the scraper became a paddle and threw some melted lead at me, now I have sparkely shoes to show off.

That is after cleaning and doesn't show what ended up on my wranglers.

Boolit Master
    Remember lead into water is Ok.... water into lead is NOT Ok!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Keep 2-3 warn ingots handy when casting. If your pot goes into a fast dump mode. Put the ingots into the pot to freeze it. If you were to use cold ingots the tinsal fairy could visit you.
    Keep a long nosed Bic lighter handy to speed up a frozen downspout.

Boolit Master
    Keep a long nosed Bic lighter handy to speed up a frozen downspout.
    I have been known to fire up the propane blow torch and give the spout a gentle warming to get it going.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    It's likely mentioned elsewhere, but as a new caster, this is about all I can add:

When casting, if using a plastic Costco folding chair, and a sprue bounces on the chair between your legs. Stand up fast. Like "Jerry Miculek fast".

Boolit Mold
    Do not try to pickup a hot bullet with your bare hands to inspect. You burn your fingers and most probably drop the bullet somewhere you will regret it like in your shoe.
    Using Tapatalk

If you have your powder measure set to dump exactly 6.0 grains of Ramshot Silhouette (which, incidentally, makes a fine load under a 150 grain SWC boolit in your .40)...
    There's no need to readjust the powder measure to dump exactly 5.0 grains of W231 (which, incidentally, makes a fine load under a 156 grain SWC boolit in your K38).

I just learned that one tonight...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    I wanted to clean up some brass, and since my rock tumbler only holds 50 at a time, I decided to toss some of them in with the laundry just to see how they came out. I added 3 or 4 cups of vinegar to the wash, and then tossed them into the dryer. I used all of the smaller articles of clothing, hand towels, socks, that sort of thing to help scrub the brass. To my great suprise and delight, the brass came out just like brand new. Seriously, they looked like you had hand polished them with brasso!

Toss them in the dryer as you are leaving the house, 1,000 brass casings in the dryer is LOUD!
    OR, keep an eye out for an el-cheapo electric dryer to use in the shop/garage. No noise in the house from clanging brass (or from the wife).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Need a big pot for casting on a turkey fryer? Use an old empty propane tank. BE SURE IT IS EMPTY! Remove the valve [this is where empty is important]. Fill with water, empty water. Use your 5" grinder and cut the tank in half along the welded seam. Cut the collar off the top half and cut it in two for two handles to weld onto the bottom half for carry & pouring. Works great on the turkey fryer. be careful... it will hold more melt than you can easily lift.
    ...& make sure the turkey fryer stand can support the weight.

Boolit Mold

Safety First

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01187.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	108405
    This is my casting set-up, the lexan sheet goes down to my chest for protection of my purdy face, notice the "Fairy Tinsel" stuck to it, it would have been my face! you can hang it anyway you want, I used a simple hole in the shield and a nail to hang it and it swings down to clean the area when needed, there is a vent hole in the wall above it

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast