Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by Expat74 View Post
    Ah.. Should have read it this morning :banghead:
    And don't forget to put an ingot mold or something fireproof under your furnace while the thing heats up
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark85304 View Post
    Only have one container of gun powder on your loading bench at any time and always keep the container for the powder currently loading on the loading bench. When finished, pour the remaining powder back into the container on the loading bench. This will prevent accidentally mixing different powders in a container. I'd hate to have to burn or destroy an 8# container of powder, or worse yet, hurt myself or others because of mixed powders.
    A few times I've had to toss out some powder because I had two cans on the bench. Very good advise.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Bub
    50/50 mix of tomato paste or regular pasta sauce with water, soak brass for about an hour to 1 1/2 hrs. I will look like new! just did 500 .223 and 1000 .40. rinse off and dump in to a pot of water with a little bakingsoda mixed in it for a few minutes to help neutralize any acid that might not have come off in the rinse.

No matter how hot it is in the casting area, NEVER cast naked!

That's too much information.

When finished with a casting session, let your mold cool to room temperature then give it a good scrub with Birchwood-Casey lead cloth.
    It will remove all those little specs of stuck-on lead and make the next casting session go smoother.

-wash powder funnels in Dawn & water, blow dry with compressed air & do not towel wipe in order to eliminate static cling.
    -get the 17 caliber RCBS funnel to fill .223
    -close the drain on your Charge master before you put the powder in it.

-wash powder funnels in Dawn & water, blow dry with compressed air & do not towel wipe in order to eliminate static cling.
    -get the 17 caliber RCBS funnel to fill .223
    -close the drain on your Charge master before you put the powder in it.
    -read all these tips

be very careful when you have a completed cartridge that did not fire even after firing pin struck primer......

Boolit Bub
    When trimming brass in a trim die (300 blk or 357 herett for instance) - keep your powder 10' away from your press and know which way the sparks will go if you use a dremel cutter..
    Last edited by nrc; 03-11-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtater View Post
    No matter how hot it is in the casting area, NEVER cast naked!
    Good one... I already found out about frying bacon
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Haven't seen it yet so sorry if I repeat someone else, but mark primers with a sharpie so that each color represents a recipe when testing loads and write it down on a piece of paper with the ammo so you know red sharpie is one load, orange is next load, etc....
    Also a plastic 270 holder that comes with pre made ammo holds the smaller sharpies great, I have one screwed to the side of my bench
    Last edited by silverado; 03-18-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

I found using one of those scotch bright sponges works well got oiling guns.

Boolit Bub
    On the RCBS Grand loader pick up a couple of plastic caps to put on the hopper drain ports. Reminds you to make sure you put the hose on before you empty the shot onto the floor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    Haven't seen it yet so sorry if I repeat someone else, but mark primers with a sharpie so that each color represents a recipe when testing loads and write it down on a piece of paper with the ammo so you know red sharpie is one load, orange is next load, etc....
    Also a plastic 270 holder that comes with pre made ammo holds the smaller sharpies great, I have one screwed to the side of my bench
    I do this but take it one step farther. I use cool colors (blue, green) for mild powder charges and the hotter colors (orange, red) for the hotter loads.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I do this but take it one step farther. I use cool colors (blue, green) for mild powder charges and the hotter colors (orange, red) for the hotter loads.
    I use rainbow colors because I remember Roy g biv..... Red lightest and purple hottest.....
    Disclaimer: happily married to my WIFE
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master
    You don't spit into the wind.
    You don't tug on Supermans cape.
    You don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger.

P.S. Not been said before. Pull on each cartridge. I found a few that the cartridge looked OK, but the bullet either pushed all the way in or easily pulled out. Don't ask me how I know ............
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

I like the Sharpie idea and it obviously works. I used to do that (20+ years ago), but my mentor told meit would/could contaminate the primers, so I stopped. Urban legend???
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Hasn't hurt mine yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Dumasron View Post
    When finished with a casting session, let your mold cool to room temperature then give it a good scrub with Birchwood-Casey lead cloth.
    It will remove all those little specs of stuck-on lead and make the next casting session go smoother.
    Be very careful with the lead cloths. They're abrasive and will remove steel as well as lead. One day you wake up and notice your vent lines are disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    I like the Sharpie idea and it obviously works. I used to do that (20+ years ago), but my mentor told meit would/could contaminate the primers, so I stopped. Urban legend???
    Back when I started shooting competition, every body used a sharpie to ID their brass so they could get their own brass back. I never saw it cause a problem.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast